Ethilrist

jajagappa

1 hour ago, JRE said:

After all these years, he is not sure if he really experienced Joy, or he imagined it. I would have him only being happy in a battlefield risking his life, hoping this is really the last time.

I wonder whether Ethilrist seeks to experience Joy of the Heart in Hell? Being slain on a battlefield is a minor inconvenience for him, a bit of a free ride into Hell for another attempt.

1 hour ago, JRE said:

The bindings of the demon horses and the Hell Hound are only to him, so the moment he finally goes, the Black Horse Troop will be no more.

They may have to wait a certain time for his return before being set free, I suppose.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

5 hours ago, JRE said:

Ethilrist probably was an Arkati illuminate before going to Hell … now he is just looking for a way to break the circle that does not require him to stay in Hell … I would have him only being happy in a battlefield risking his life, hoping this is really the last time.

If the initial idea of the Nysalor cult and illumination was to have a pop at Buddhism (possibly in a debased western form of Zen; with Alan Watts as Gbaji?) — Arkat/arhat, illuminated/enlightened — then we seem to have an awful lot of “illuminates” who are doing a terrible job of hopping off the hamster wheel of saṃsāra. Perhaps that is part of the satire.

In Ethilrist’s case, he doesn’t seem ready to let go of his massive ego and all his shiny stuff. He is clingy and afraid, and the next time will be just like the last, no? And as a sellsword, how is his karma? He needs to learn to stop worrying and love the void. If he lets Kajabor into his heart, he’ll be fine. Trust me, I’m a … well, OK, probably best not to trust me.

• Haha 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

10 hours ago, JRE said:

The bindings of the demon horses and the Hell Hound are only to him, so the moment he finally goes, the Black Horse Troop will be no more.

Nah, watch the more capable Troopers use his memoirs as a grimoire or become an Ethilrist hero-cult (or both? probably both) to keep it going. I bet each new captain of the Troop has to prove himself by heroquesting to the Underworld and retrieving the hell Hound. 

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JonL said:

Nah, watch the more capable Troopers use his memoirs as a grimoire or become an Ethilrist hero-cult (or both? probably both) to keep it going. I bet each new captain of the Troop has to prove himself by heroquesting to the Underworld and retrieving the hell Hound. 

IMG the old man himself is down there waiting for him with a gruesome surprise and a short cut back to business, sorry about the mess.

"I am not the first Ethilrist. Nor am I the second, or even the third."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

singer sing me a given

• 2 weeks later...

These streets have seen
prancing centaurs, Heortland
knights, demon-horse riders from
Muse Roost
, and caravans from
Ralios and Balazar. Troll envoys
from the Stronglands saunter
the same walkways as Yelmalio
hoplites – all under the watchful
eyes of the Lunar watch.
Welcome to Pavis!

Pavis: Gateway to Adventure p.146

Does anyone have a guess or source as to when the Black Horse Troop would have been in Pavis?

1 hour ago, Erol of Backford said:

Other than his companion and the cook with them when they make pumpkin pie are there other named characters who are close to Ethilrist that could be good associated NPC adds?

Not to my knowledge.  

And Ethilrist remains pretty isolated out in Muse Roost.  However, he collects many treasures which he stores there (including all his trophies from Hell), so he may well hire sages or merchants to go out and seek items that would be appropriate to add.  They will not be "close" to Ethilrist though - only Keener Than, the Hound, and the Cloak of Darkness are what one might term "close".  

• Thanks 1

The impression I got from the GtG fragment of his book is that his pride limits the people he considers worthy of his interest. But I also got the impression he accepts invitations and will be an uncommon guest of both Prince Argrath and Phargentes, as he clearly knew him well before he became the Mask of Moonson. He respects but mistrusts them. I suspect he also has a good relationship with Fazzur, and his children. It would make sense as they are his closest civilized neighbours (according to his biased opinion).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

How do hero's such as Ethilrist not have their bodies degenerate after being brought back to life? The same would go for humans that are resurrected would they not lose stats on each occassion? He is in and out of hell a lot and so each time would he not die and need to be resurrected? Or is he actually dead-dead? And so detect as such?

Maybe he could be hired to help destroy the creepy dude in the Upland Marsh? (not related but an interesting thought as there must be some really powerful magic items in the swamp...)

image.png.fb49ad70c1930477663b557b6115faae.png

3 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

How do hero's such as Ethilrist not have their bodies degenerate after being brought back to life?

Ethilrist is not an undead, so it's not a matter of his body decaying. 

I think it's been noted before that he has the heroic ability to Escape Hell (all the heroes from WBRM do).  And likely he has an ability similar to the RQG shaman Self-Resurrection ability (p.361), that is:  "If the shaman dies, they can cast healing magic on their own body and restore it to at least one positive hit point, returning from the dead. The healing magic must restore the shaman up to 1 or more hit points, but self-healing in this fashion costs permanent points of POW."

• Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

The ability of Ethilrist is more akin to a partial form of the Lightbringers Quest as He enter a path to Underworld near Nidan Montains a century ago, he plunder hell and came back by his own mean to the mortal world after.

In his book "A History of My Black Horse Troop" (GtG 750) he said I "crawled back from the Underworld that time and could do it again if necessary" when speaking why he does not fear Harrek.

So If you kill him, he does not need anyone to come back, he already know the path to escape the Underworld. More a method to escape hell than a spell; it's more like Jaldon who made pact/vow that permit him to came back from hell whenever the Bisons are in danger (which happen pretty often).

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Except he obviously has a living body when he returns.

Exactly like when Arkat came back from the death by the Lighbringers Quest... having your body intact is not a prerequisite to "Coming back from the Underworld". Unlike Resurrection spell which are undoing Death (Separation of Body and Soul).

Also something bother me cause he seems to be an opportunist with a huge ego at best, a weathervane at worst :

• He work for Lunar after coming back in mundane world
  • He side against them when he razed Dunstop, the retreat in Muse Roost (his new capital city) to write his books
  • The last part of book (written in 1640) of Ethilrist mention Phargentes the younger which gave him a secret and he did not like Argrath's way to look down on him.
  • Later on, his Black Horse Troop was part of Lunar side in the Battle of Dantolfol in 1645 where Phargentes the younger died.

Basically a hero for some heroquester but more like Hungry for Power mercenary for others; Very similar to Harrek in some lot of aspect...

• Like 1

So as Mr. Helsdon posted/linked in the Refuge and Karse thread:

“Sometimes, as in the case of Zedei who lived twice before the War of the Gods. Usually, however, upon reemergence the Kaelith gains more than his former power. He has the ability to change his form into almost anything else, and then to completely disassociate his soul from any physical form without going to the Underworld.”

Thank you for the great link Mr. Helsdon!

See the Xeotam Dialogues. As an in-world document it is not entirely reliable and its terminology is likely local to southern Ralios.

https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/home/catalogue/websites/moondesign-com/jeffs-old-blogs/xeotam-dialogues/

10 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

So as Mr. Helsdon posted/linked in the Refuge and Karse thread:

“Sometimes, as in the case of Zedei who lived twice before the War of the Gods. Usually, however, upon reemergence the Kaelith gains more than his former power. He has the ability to change his form into almost anything else, and then to completely disassociate his soul from any physical form without going to the Underworld.”

See the Xeotam Dialogues. As an in-world document it is not entirely reliable and its terminology is likely local to southern Ralios.

https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/home/catalogue/websites/moondesign-com/jeffs-old-blogs/xeotam-dialogues/

I'd be very wary of treating such an in-world document as literally true and reliable.

• Haha 1

For some persons, whatever they are told or read coming from a certain source may be considered the truth?

Getting back to Ethilrist, what year did his cook make pumpkin pie? Did he or his minions take part in Grizzly Peaks, other battles in Tarsh or the Sartar Invasion? (Late 1400's-early 1500's? - thanks Jaja.)

It seems part of the Black Horse Troop fought for Sartar in the 1613 Rebellion and possibly some were in Pavis (maybe just an emissary) but what other dates do we know about where and when the Black Horse Troop was active outside of the Muse Roost?

I am looking more at say 1582 - 1613 rather than later.

Anyone have a list of dates and locations?

From GTG: A fragment of the unfinished 13th volume of A History of My Black Horse Troop, attributed to Ethilrist of Muse Roost, one of the more notorious Heroes of that Age. Where are these "fragments" besides the one where they made pumpkin pie?