The Red Book of Magic corrections thread

MOB

50 minutes ago, Jason D said:

I'm making edits now based on everything prior to this post, and will do another pass at the very end of December. There'll be a new .pdf released soon after that. 

Thanks for letting me know. Here's my notes thus far. If I get the opportunity to make further progress, I'll update.

Red Book of Magic Errata Notes.pdf Red Book of Magic Proofreading Notes.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

Cyclical (Characteristic)
Variable
/
Self, Duration (special), Stackable
This spell ties one of the caster’s characteristics to the Lunar 
cycle. Each characteristic has a different spell. The spell 
costs 2 Rune points to affect STR, CON, SIZ, or DEX. It 
costs 3 pts to affect CHA, INT, or POW.
On the day of the Full Moon the characteristic is 
increased by 50%, ignoring species maximums. On Half 
Moon days, the characteristic is unaffected. On Crescent 
Moon days, the characteristic is at 75% of its normal rating, 
and on Dying and Black Moon days, the characteristic is 
only 50% of its normal rating.
Each point stacked with the spell doubles its duration.
Example: Maculus the Monitor has an INT of 18. He 
casts Cyclical INT, which raises his INT to 27 on the 
day of the Full Moon but reduces

What is the default duration? Its permanent one lunar cycle?

If stack the duration is 2 lunar cycles?

We have opened up the Q&A thread to include the Red Book of Magic. If you have questions that aren't typos or corrections you can now ask there. 

Please be aware that answers on the Well of Daliath about rune and spirit magic will be updated in line with the next update of the RBM. As you can appreciate there will be some clarification crossover in the meantime.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am still making edits to the book based on feedback from this thread and elsewhere, and am planning on releasing a new version early next week (in the new year). 

However, for those who had font display issues, I would like to marshal your aid. None of the team working in Production work with Macs and we can't replicate this problem on our end. We recognize that it's showing up and have been working with correcting the font itself, which might fix it. 

If interested, please contact me privately via IM here and I'll share a copy of the book with you for you to see if the problem is still happening. 

Thanks! 

• Like 3

On 12/30/2020 at 12:20 PM, Shiningbrow said:

Is it considered an error that p2 Inroduction refers to the "Cults of Glorantha" book, rather than its actual title of "Gods and Goddesses of Glorantha"?

As is often the case, we go back and forth about titles.  

Refine Medicine Can we get more clarity with the Spell. pg 71

First the Spell description says that it can be cast to alter either the potency or usefulness of a plant on the “Other” category of the healing plants list.

But then the example on pg 72 as part of the Healing Plant list, shows Muricane Ninefinger using it on a plant part that is outside of the Other Catagory previously spoken of.

Then there is the question of whether or not any plant that is not of the "Other" group, like seeds, stem, flowers, etc can still be used to heal people without the need of a Rune spell like Refine Medicine.

Overall the more clearly defined set of steps to follow on pg 72 would be great.

Page 82 Spell Trading. This spell allows the caster to trade a single use of any Rune spell (except this one) in exchange for a single use of any Rune spell known by another Rune master of any cult.

Page 82 Spell Trading.  Jorjera, on the other hand, now has a single use of Path Watch at 92%

-- Clarity & ease of reading: the spell description talks about "one use" and "one-use", but these have different meanings.

• Like 1

I've made edits to the doc based on this and other feedback. We've resolved the font issue internally through the assistance of folks here, elsewhere, and at Apple. 

(This is a known issue at Apple and they recommend not using Preview to look at PDFs if you're on Mojave or older.) 

Sometime late this week or early next week we'll have a new version ready for everyone. 

Thank you! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

I think the example for Healing Plants on p72 needs fixing?

For the first herb, her player rolls 5 on 1D10, a plant useful against the Creeping Chills, but not the Shakes. She lays it aside to Preserve later if she can spare the magic points, then looks closely at the second plant. She rolls a 6, an “other.” Alexander has a chance!

The first roll, a 1d10 on the "usefulness" table, yields a 5 which means the plant is useful against the Creeping Chills.

Then the example says that the character looks closely at the second plant, which I would expect means rolling another 1d10 on the same table. But the example says she rolls a 6, which means "other". That's a different die on a different table! She should roll another d10 first, and then move one to rolling 1d6 twice to see if she's lucky enough to have a magical plant among the two plants she has... or maybe the two tables should be switched, and the d6s are rolled first, the d10s second. Whichever works.

As a slightly nitpicky aside, at the top of that same column of text:

Note: Categories marked with * denote a special type of plant whose healing abilities may be adjusted by a healer who knows the Refine Medicine spell.

It might make more sense to just say "A result of 'Other' on the seasonal potency table denotes a special type of plant....". The term "Categories" doesn't relate to anything else called "Categories" on the page.

Edited by lordabdul

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

32 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

The first roll, a 1d10 on the "usefulness" table, yields a 5 which means the plant is useful against the Creeping Chills.

Then the example says that the character looks closely at the second plant, which I would expect means rolling another 1d10 on the same table. But the example says she rolls a 6, which means "other". That's a different die on a different table! She should roll another d10 first, and then move one to rolling 1d6 twice to see if she's lucky enough to have a magical plant among the two plants she has... or maybe the two tables should be switched, and the d6s are rolled first, the d10s second. Whichever works.

It might make more sense to just say "A result of 'Other' on the seasonal potency table denotes a special type of plant....". The term "Categories" doesn't relate to anything else called "Categories" on the page.

"The healer rolls 1D6 and 1D10, getting 4 (roots, potency 1D4 in the autumn"

What is this "autumn" referred to?

Also,

"She spends 1 Rune point to cast a Refine Medicine spell. First, she wants to make it useful against the Shakes rather than Systemic Poison. This requires 3 magic points."

Does the initial casting of Refine Medicine cause a shift? Or are all shifts on the table done by MPs only? Because Systemic Poison is at 6 on the table, and Shakes at 2... so one would expect 4 MPs needed - not 3.

(Is the 1D12 in Dark Season (why is it "Darkness" in the table?) supposed to be there? Or should that be 1D10?)

7 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

Is there a summary or at least some hints on what changes to spells were made?

I'll be honest with you, that sort of thing would take a considerable amount of effort and time to make and I don't have that much of either. 

Edited by Jason D
  • Thanks 1

Is this based on the latest version? It's been uploaded apparently in the last 24 hours. 

6 hours ago, lordabdul said:

6 hours ago, Jason D said:

Is this based on the latest version? It's been uploaded apparently in the last 24 hours.

I just checked the new version and yes the text is the same. And good point from @Shiningbrow that "autumn" should be replaced with "Earth season".

4 hours ago, Jason D said:

As a note, the new version promulgated has this on the copyrights page: 

image.png.65a659a64d765d0a93886e5cdd3879db.png

VERSION NUMBERS! THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Given the lack of update notification or even information for purchases on Chaosium.com, I can't tell you how much of a big deal this is :D

• Thanks 2

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

As noted earlier in this thread:

Please be aware that answers on the Well of Daliath about rune and spirit magic will be updated in line with the next update of the RBM. As you can appreciate there will be some clarification crossover in the meantime.

I have updated the One Use rune spell section inline with the latest RBM update. Other parts will take a bit longer.

This is still the corrections thread, for discussions, please start a new thread, for questions, please use the Q&A thread.

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 3

One Use spells , p9. Bullet point 3

“If the roll is a fumble, the spell is not cast, but the Rune points are spent permanently and cannot be replenished. The spell can be re-attempted again if sufficient Rune points remain.

Shouldn’t the last point here apply to all casting results (pass, fail, fumble, & critical) and not just be signalled out for the fumble result? I can see why it’s more pertinent to mention it with the fumble result, but it leaves a bit of room perhaps to question whether this also applies to the other casting results or not.

Spell Trading p82. Final bullet point:

”The original “owners” of the spells can still cast them after trading them, provided that the spell was not a one-use spell and that all other requirements for the spell (Rune points, cult status, etc.) are still met.”

This suggests contrary to the new explanation of one-use spells p9 that the spell cannot be cast again after trading by the original owner, is this correct? 

Should it not be explained (as on p9) that it’s the Rune Points that are permanently lost and not the spell? The spell can actually be cast again by the original owner provided they have rune points left to cast it ( all be it at the high cost of permanently loosing the rune point)?

Edited by Paid a bod yn dwp

1 hour ago, molmedoz said:

My point is that there a part missing in the rules, what is the default duration for Cyclical <attribute >

See page 40 - Cyclical (characteristic) - Duration (one week)

Please make sure you have downloaded the latest version of the PDF

• Thanks 1

On 1/8/2021 at 8:02 PM, Bill the barbarian said:

I had thought the last issue I was sent for checking was just fine in Preview on Mohave (at least on the world to be checked and a few spot checks). Are there still issues I have not seen?

That last version seemed to work, but that's what Apple support tells us.