Gloranthan Love Stories?

HeartQuintessence

If you have not heard Tolkien's the Lay of Beren and Luthien, I present this to you:

If you have--- then  great, anyone got any other  Glorantha Love stories, that are not Orlanth wooing Ernalda?

I realize this is a weird thought, but  in riffing on my Women in Glorantha thread and the more 'at home stuff', it made me starting thinking about things in the culture that we don't think about that often.

We know Gloranthan courtship has a few steps, and ids distinct from just going for a roll in hay.
So we're Looking at Glorantha cool love stories and courtship rituals:

Redala & Elmal
What of Yelm and Dendara?

• Like 2

Jar-eel and Annstad of Dunstop in the middle of the Battle of Dwernapple. Or he might've seduced her but given it was Jar-Eel and the circumstances, my romantic heart says it was true Uleria.

"On the left, the Lunar elites charged against the the wing, and all of the sane, normal men of the world turned and fled before the Lunar Hell Sisters reached them. Those who stood firm offered a brief resistance, but soon only Annstad of Dunstop was left alive surrounded by the corpses of the Demon Lovers regiment. Jareel the Razoress came to face him , and they spoke with magic for five minutes, each ummoving. They were both covered with gore and panting from exertion. Both were from nations which hated each other, and had come miles to murder. Yet there on that horrid field they fell in love, never a vocalised word heard from either of them.. Rather than fight, the pair of them went from the field, ignoring the cries of the Lunar troops."  The Composite History of Dragon Pass

• Thanks 1

One love story, which comes immediately to my mind, is the story of Sarotar and Arkillia:

Saronil and the Sad Lady
This famed ballad about Sarotar son of Saronil and his love Arkillia, an Esrolian noblewoman, describes events circa 1540 to 1546. Conflicting vows of love and duty lead to Sarotar’s murder by Arkillia’s other suitors. The ballad is sometimes combined with either the mournful Song of Marlesta the Dancer, the daughter of tragic couple, or with the Song of Vengeance, which details the bloody vengeance taken by Sarotar’s brother and cousin upon his murderers.

The story is also a popular play in the Holy Country and contrasts the fierce loyalty of the Sartarites with the manipulative schemes of the Esrolians. In all versions, Arkillia is portrayed as the tragic victim of events.

Composite History of Dragon Pass

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, HeartQuintessence said:

If you have not heard Tolkien's the Lay of Beren and Luthien

I realise it's not going down the topic of Glorantha Love stories, but rather leaping off from the music you present.

For my tastes, for music, you can't beat the BBC radio dramatisation of the Hobbit.  It sounds both primitive and unearthly, which maybe someone might find makes it useful for Glorantha...  

Bilbo's lullaby, the third in the list, is a favourite of mine.  To my ear, it could be Alfred Dellar singing, which would surprise me as it's obviously credited!

https://archive.org/details/the-hobbit-bbc-radio-drama/J.R.R.+Tolkien+-+The+Hobbit+-+Disc+5+-+01+-+Music-+Opening+and+Bilbo's+theme.flac

https://archive.org/details/the-hobbit-bbc-radio-drama/J.R.R.+Tolkien+-+The+Hobbit+-+Disc+5+-+02+-+Music-+Elves'+Dances.flac

https://archive.org/details/the-hobbit-bbc-radio-drama/J.R.R.+Tolkien+-+The+Hobbit+-+Disc+5+-+03+-+Music-+Bilbo's+Lullaby.flac

https://archive.org/details/the-hobbit-bbc-radio-drama/J.R.R.+Tolkien+-+The+Hobbit+-+Disc+5+-+04+-+Music-+Fanfare+and+Dance+in+Esgaroth.flac

9 hours ago, HeartQuintessence said:

If you have--- then  great, anyone got any other  Glorantha Love stories, that are not Orlanth wooing Ernalda?

Strangely enough I was asking myself the same question earlier in the week for an unrelated reason.  The Stafford Library Book of Heortling Mythology is a good source.

There are a few stories.  Umath and Asrelia (tragic), Durev and Orane, Velhara and Ironhoof, Arim the Pauper and Sorana Tor, Yinkin and Tarhelera, Orlanth and Nira Bistosdotter, Niskis and Tarhelera, Vinga and Parties unknown, Heort and Ivarne, Orlanth and Enferalda, and Ernalda's Other Husbands.

The Yelmish pantheon doesn't seem to deal in love stories, but the Lunars have a few, such as Takanegi and Felkenna, Hon-Eel and Pyeemsab, and Jar-eel and Beat-Pot.

1 hour ago, Darius West said:

The Stafford Library Book of Heortling Mythology is a good source.

Also the story of Desaventus and Ondurisa from the time of the Dawn.

Among the sons of King Heort and Ivarne were Gollanth and Desaventus Widefarer. Desaventus traveled amongst the Heortlings in the Silver Age, protecting them from the monster remnants of the Great Darkness. He defeated the King of the Corpse-eaters and his Black Dogs, the Guest-Stranglers, and the Rye Wolf. Desaventus fell in love with Ondurisa, the daughter of Queen Imajarin of the Esrovuli. To woo Ondurisa, Desaventus befriended the Strong Man and defeated the fire-breathing Monros Boar that ravaged the fields of the Esrovuli.  Desaventus lost that friendship when he stole Ondurisa from Nochet and married her. The king of Ulaninstead welcomed Desaventus and Ondurisa, and Desaventus defeated the vengeful husbands of Imajarin at Famegrave. Desaventus and Ondurisa had a son, Desenlanth the Theyalan, who welcomed the Dawn from Lookout Hill.

From the Esrolia book, there is Nochet's greatest love story:  Norinel and Kimantor (p.29-32).

• Like 1

Argan Argar and Esrola/The Only Old One and Queen Norinel.

Esrola and Faralinthor, I think?

Kahar and Harontoro in the East.

Possibly Aerlit and Warera (likely consensual, at the very least)

One thing I think should be noted is that Glorantha deals less in "romantic love" than something like LotR (which is steeped in it). This is probably by design. For most of history, marriages, even when intimate and amiable, were ultimately transactions to ensure safety, prosperity and alliance. This isn't to say people didn't fall in love, but it wasn't seen as directly related to a good marriage, which is predicated on other things than simply passion. As the Orlanthi say, "sex is easy, marriage is hard".

1 hour ago, jajagappa said:

From the Esrolia book, there is Nochet's greatest love story:  Norinel and Kimantor (p.29-32).

From the same book, there is also the story of Urvarna and Demarath (one of the few same-sex couples found in Gloranthan myths), and they in turn were the matchmakers for Gelstarn and Serumtha. 

• Like 1

Umath and Asrelia as the love story that never quite happened is sweet, and seems to be the prototype for Orlanth and Ernalda.

"So Umath and Asrelia never joined, and once the separation began,
it continued. Soon there were other couples intended for each other
that never met each other. Then some of the couples even broke
apart, and the world began to fill with longing. We feel that longing
now because we were born into that yearning world. It isn’t some-
thing that we do, or make, or want. It just is, for us. It isn’t a fault
to feel that way."
Storm Tribe

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Gallowglass said:

there is also the story of Urvarna and Demarath (one of the few same-sex couples found in Gloranthan myths), and they in turn were the matchmakers for Gelstarn and Serumtha. 

I don't see anything in the story itself to indicate the sex of either Urvarna or Demarath.

However, since their story is the foundation of the initiation rites of both men and women in Esrolia ("the quests of Urvarna and Demarath provide the structure for the initiation myths for Esrolian people"), my inclination is that Urvarna is the female path, Demarath the male path.  They are required by the Grandmothers to leave their childhood love behind when boys and girls were undifferentiated, and to pursue their own distinct and separate initiation paths.  These lead Urvarna to Gelstarn the Beloved and Demarath to Serumtha the Lover, which align them to their adulthood roles.

3 hours ago, jajagappa said:

I don't see anything in the story itself to indicate the sex of either Urvarna or Demarath.

I might be misinterpreting it, but in the story it says "The pair had been sleeping, but once awakened these Grandmothers brought the two together again." I assumed "these Grandmothers" referred to Urvarna and Demarath, but it could mean the gods, or someone else. 

One that came up in my campaign today: Artmal and Cathora, told in Revealed Mythologies.  He saw her from the sky, and descended to Earth to court her.  When he met her father's requirements and her own she went with him up to the moon, and bore him two hundred descendants before she first voiced her homesickness for Earth and her parents.  After three hundred children she and Artmal led the Three Hundred Families down to Earth from the Blue Moon, which had become too crowded.

Edited by dumuzid
  • Like 1

There's also Garan the Low Star and Serias the Star Lover, founders of the Garanvulli. Presumably most of the Vingkotling tribes whose founding involves a foreigner marrying one of Vingkot's female descendants has some kind of love story attached to it, even if (IIRC) we only really know the details of the Garanvulli and Berenethtelli stories.

22 hours ago, Darius West said:

The Yelmish pantheon doesn't seem to deal in love stories

I'm reminded of the GRoY mythlet about the Emperor decreeing that the punishment for bigamy was to have to have two wives.  And people wonder why the Fire rune is associated with chastity!  (Maybe less so that it's associated with truly obnoxiously patriarchal eaglepoo.)

• Haha 3

On 10/24/2021 at 3:45 PM, Sir_Godspeed said:

Orlanth and Heler in the Orlanthi Cloud Lore is pretty frisky. Theirs is decidedly a casual, non-exclusive love though.

Could be said of Orlanth + [any given entity than Ernalda] and Ernalda + [any given non-Orlanth], come to that!