Out now in Print - The Armies and Enemies of Dragon Pass!

Nick Brooke

Martin Helsdon's magisterial tome The Armies and Enemies of Dragon Pass is now available in print-on-demand hardcover format from the Jonstown Compendium store on DriveThruRPG, for $39.95 plus postage. 384 pages, colour covers and black & white interiors.

Interiors.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Will the PDF also be updated?

That's frankly unlikely. The PDF uses the Word layout and is in colour, while the print edition is a new InDesign version that was prepared for B&W printing. I don't feel any great urge to return to this and colour things in, when there's a perfectly serviceable colour PDF already.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

Oh and @Nick Brooke, really enjoyed your video about it on youtube. Well done.

Oh go on then, have a link:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jajagappa said:

And he doesn't even get a horse to ride!  Has to plod along behind Jar-eel's horse instead stepping in the muck left in her wake... 😉

Getting the front row view of the heroine's bottoms in the bargain...

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I swear he's got the same look on his face that he used to give me when I'd ask him too much about the Lunar Empire and enlightenment back in the HW/Issaries days ...

Which I always took as more of a "Lunars aren't the heroes here, Bri ..." chiding, so seeing him in rank is a little amusing. 

Love the cover and off to order a copy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Apparently with a geas to not wear armor on the right leg.

I wonder why a phalanx would equip its troops that way…

CCCA066B-692E-430C-AA67-FB1D43D29112.jpeg

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 12:43 PM, jajagappa said:

And he doesn't even get a horse to ride!  Has to plod along behind Jar-eel's horse instead stepping in the muck left in her wake... 😉

Now that enough descriptions have been provided to confirm just which figure is being discussed, I would point out that he appears to be in the file to the right of the horse, not directly behind it.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 6:29 PM, jajagappa said:

Apparently with a geas to not wear armor on the right leg.

That's per Greg's description of the equipment of the Jasper Phalanx.

I was told a story that the reason he stipulated this was to help sales of the miniatures for the intended Stratelibri Glorantha wargame (as people might otherwise use hoplites of other makes), but in fact there is strong evidence that many terrestrial hoplites wore only a single greave on either the left or right leg. If on the left leg, with their shield, it meant that the hoplite's entire left side of their body was protected, so Greg was being very accurate. 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

10 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

That's per Greg's description of the equipment of the Jasper Phalanx.

I was told a story that the reason he stipulated this was to help sales of the miniatures for the intended Stratelibri Glorantha wargame (as people might otherwise use hoplites of other makes), but in fact there is strong evidence that many terrestrial hoplites wore only a single greave on either the left or right leg. If on the left leg, with their shield, it meant that the hoplite's entire left side of their body was protected, so Greg was being very accurate. 

The left leg would be the forward leg in most right-handers' battle stance.

It is a bit unfortunate that the RQ hit location system doesn't take such battle stances into account when rolling the affected zone. There are a few weak attempts at modelling this when hitting mounted opponents (like hits to the leg on the far side of the steed will hit the steed instead) or hitting folk from above (using D10+10 for hit location), but it probably takes a computer referee to alter hit location tables on the fly for such maneuvers.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

• 3 weeks later...