Cults of RuneQuest introduces new character creation options and a fresh look at the lore of Glorantha

MOB

rq-cults-logo.png

Never before has there been a better time to start playing RuneQuest!

We are proud to announce the 10-volume Cults of RuneQuest—a series of player-focussed supplements for RuneQuest!

The first of these books is set to release in July, with a big launch at GenCon Indy in August.

In RuneQuest, every player-character’s spells, skills, and other bonuses are determined by the cult (or cults) they choose to join. The Cults of RuneQuest series allows players a wealth of new character options by presenting full pantheons of gods beyond those found in the RuneQuest core book.

Of course, you do not need to buy all 10 books in order to play!

Each volume of Cults of RuneQuest stands alone and covers a different pantheon, so you can purchase just the book for your favorite collection of Gods, or multiple books to expand your options (and understanding of the lore and mythology of Glorantha).

The first pantheon books are The Lightbringers and The Earth Goddesses.

fqawew1aeaavjfm.jpeg

The Cults of RuneQuest series also contains two other books: The Prosopaedia—a companion an encyclopedia and art book for the entire Cults of RuneQuest series—and Mythology is an indispensable GameMaster resource which dives deep into what myth and myth-making means in Glorantha, and how the magic of the world brings these myths to life.

The Prosopaedia will be out in July, with Mythology coming later this year (and keep your eyes peeled for a wonderful cover reveal as well!)

Cults of RuneQuest will continue into 2024 with the hotly anticipated cults of The Lunar Way, which will finally reveal the gods of the chaos-tolerating Lunar Empire of the north!

The Lunar Way is set to release in 2024, followed by 5 more volumes in the Cults of RuneQuest series.

unnamed-16-.png

unnamed-15-.png

unnamed-16-.png

What is RuneQuest?

RuneQuest core rules

RuneQuest is Chaosium’s fantasy roleplaying game set in the Bronze age world of Glorantha. In RuneQuest, players create adventurers who explore a mythic world rich in magic.

Everyone uses spells and anyone can be a warrior. Each RuneQuest adventurer is unique, defined by Runes chosen by the player and belonging to a definite culture and cult.

RuneQuest uses Chaosium’s Basic Roleplaying D100 system which powers games like Call of Cthulhu and Rivers of London.

• Like 17

• MOB featured and pinned this topic
2 hours ago, Agentorange said:

I wonder what the new spells are, there's a fair bit of stuff inthe Red Book Of Magic, and now we get new spells as well - I'm all in favour of that 👍

I expect very few (if any) brand-new (non-RBoM) spells in the CoRQ books.
Remember -- RBoM has a bunch of spells that no Cult in the core-book has access to!  CoRQ is where we begin to see those spells enter play...

C'es ne pas un .sig

The character creation stuff... is that just more details in the same vein as the existing cult skills, or anything more disruptive?

In other words... when I come to update my character creation spreadsheet, is there anything that might be a challenge to fit into the existing scheme?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, g33k said:

I expect very few (if any) brand-new (non-RBoM) spells in the CoRQ books.
Remember -- RBoM has a bunch of spells that no Cult in the core-book has access to!  CoRQ is where we begin to see those spells enter play...

In which case advertising it as " new skills and spells " is rather misleading - if not down right dishonest. When I see the word "new" that's what I expect - new, not seen before, hitherto unknown etc etc. If they've been published before then they ain't new.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to these.  After they are complete I hope attention will be paid to the Invisible god and the Saints of the west and the Mysticism of the East.  We still don't have a system of Mysticism magic unless you pull out a copy of Mythras and use that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moonwolf8 said:

Looking forward to these.  After they are complete I hope attention will be paid to the Invisible god and the Saints of the west and the Mysticism of the East ...

Jeff has previously stated there will be a book on the Invisible God & Sorcery; they are sufficiently intertwined to preclude putting the Invisible God into one of the Cults books.

I believe there is a planned Kralorela book, too; rumors even suggest a manuscript... but there's also quite a bit of Eastern & East-Isles stuff on the Jonstown Compendium, for those who want to play there now... 

I'm just hoping Chaosium does not make Kralorela into "bad orientalist not-China."   🤨   The pattern whereby we see a bunch of disparate real-world cultures, plus some Gloranthan originality & weirdness, blended into a melange of mostly-not-any-one-thing (looking to Prax, with both "khans" and "braves" (and other nomadic/rider cultures) plus the potent influence of Eiritha priestesses, weird mounts like High Llamas and Rhino's and Bolo Lizards, etc... and the Survival Covenant, with the Morokanth... it just isn't any one real-world culture!).

What I fear is some western-written orientalism that will end up unbearable (TDM fell into that trap, with Mythic Polynesia).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2023 at 1:25 AM, g33k said:

I'm just hoping Chaosium does not make Kralorela into "bad orientalist not-China."   🤨   The pattern whereby we see a bunch of disparate real-world cultures, plus some Gloranthan originality & weirdness, blended into a melange of mostly-not-any-one-thing (looking to Prax, with both "khans" and "braves" (and other nomadic/rider cultures) plus the potent influence of Eiritha priestesses, weird mounts like High Llamas and Rhino's and Bolo Lizards, etc... and the Survival Covenant, with the Morokanth... it just isn't any one real-world culture!).

What I fear is some western-written orientalism that will end up unbearable (TDM fell into that trap, with Mythic Polynesia).

Agreed!

Although, unless a HUUUUGGGEEEE redact of past and present canon occurs, it's going to happen anyway.

I, for one, really dislike the Chinese names on most of Kralorela, along with the stereotypes in place. And I really doubt that's likely to change...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Agreed!

Although, unless a HUUUUGGGEEEE redact of past and present canon occurs, it's going to happen anyway.

I, for one, really dislike the Chinese names on most of Kralorela, along with the stereotypes in place. And I really doubt that's likely to change...

I don't mind there being some not-China in Kralorela!

Just like there's some recognizable not-Viking + not-Celtic + not-Vedic visible in Sartar, and not-Mongol + not-AmerInd visible in Prax, etc.

Leaning-in on the Draconic elements is one of the good ways to do this; very Gloranthan, too!  I'm hoping they look to multiple other real-world sources for extra inspiration, as well.

One option to de-orientalize things -- without abandoning canonical sources (but it should be noted:  Jeff & Co "nuChaosium" have proven unafraid to de-canonicalize & retcon in core areas, like moving away from the excessively Nordic/Celtic vision of Sartar!) -- would be to declare some names & stereotypes to be "historical":

• Such-And-Such is an older name for City-X, prior to <some war 300 years ago>, but it's now named <Something-Else>
  • Terrible-Orientalist-Stereotype-X was practiced long ago, but ended during the Syndic's ban, replaced by <some new Gloranthan-Draconic Weirdness>... Central-Genertelan kingdoms just haven't got the memo.
  • etc.

I encourage Chaosium to again be unafraid to de-canonicalize the "orientalism" in some of the un-worked-out elements of Kralorela!!!

Edited by g33k
typo

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pleas

35 minutes ago, svensson said:

Do we have a hypothetically theoretical, almost proposed, definitely maybe date when we can preorder the Proserpedia?

As the announcement above, July. Please note that we don't do pre orders per:

• Like 1

and what about sorcery???

Please be aware that, Sorcery is presented to allow Lhankor Mhy adventurers to be created. Future supplements will detail sorcerers from other cultures and provide more details of the sorcery system

Sorcery is part of Glorantha and its completely forgotten!!

3 hours ago, Zalain said:

Twenty pages in the RQG core rulebook is hardly "completely forgotten". But in any event, Chaosium are working on an Invisible God book which will presumably tell us more on the sorcerous culture of the west, or maybe even expand the sorcery system. The details haven't been shared yet, but Andrew Logan Montgomery on Facebook has told us he is working on it with Jeff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

On 5/9/2023 at 4:33 AM, Zalain said:

and what about sorcery???

Forgotten by players?  Surprisingly many are aware of it. 

Not forgotten by GMs such as me. But I admit I'd like to see some more detailed examples of the spell calculations.  I don't want either to screw up or get in an argument.

Definitely there in the rulebook and not hidden either. Spirit magic is a chapter.  Rune magic is a chapter, I admit it gets double exposure with the Cults chapter.  Shamans and Spirits are chapters, then Sorcery is a chapter.  They are all listed in the table of contents.

But I would like to see a set of practical exercises on making and using sorcery spells.  I'd pay for it too.  ? Or how about an on line tutorial?

Incidentally despite the Shaman chapter I see players struggle with new assistant shamans.  Perhaps that occupation could use a set of practical exercises too.

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
Sequence, then typing