Women and Storm Bull?

DucksMustDie

Although, in addition to that--which kind of has precedent elsewhere in the setting with how a lot of Orlanthi don't really care about sexual orientation as we in the modern world would understand it--I think there's some events in King of Dragon Pass and Six Ages that reference Urox loving and possibly marrying Uralda. Makes sense, Storm Bull, Cow Mother. One of Uralda's powers is to have power over bulls and bullheaded (stubborn, wrathful) people. Maybe they get along fine?

or maybe it's doomed? That sort of tragic touch to an otherwise loving marriage could be fun story-fodder, too...an Uroxi just got married, and the two clans involved are just counting down until it eventually explodes. Can the PCs help things work?

I mean, traditionally, the Storm Bull is married to Eiritha, so I'm sure there might be some Eiritha cultists there who wouldn't mind a husband who is off fighting a lot of the time as long as he also does some raiding, and does his duties in the marriage bed. Rumor has it the latter one is rarely the issue...

There are also women in the Storm Bull cult, though I doubt they went there to marry and settle down. In fact, I think it's the same for most men in the cult. Marriage means responsibilities, and they might get in the way of fighting chaos (and partying). Sure, maybe some will grow up and want a wife eventually, but I suspect most die before they reach that stage.

Chalana Arroy might be an interesting possibility. There's a Storm Bull initiate that's making eyes on the Chalana Arroy they are traveling with in my campaign, though I doubt that she has marriage on her mind...

☀️Sun County Apologist☀️

Well, the Chalana Arroy cultist in my campaign is a he (Arroin specifically) who has been working as what's essentially a field medic for years. The violence is worse than the meat-eating, he's surrounded every day by meat-eaters, sadly that's a fact of life if you want to help out in the world instead of staying at a shrine waiting for people to come to you. He would never consider the Storm Bull marriage material (he is currently dodging an arranged marriage) but she sure is nice to look at.

Though I do admit that most Chalana Arroy would probably not be so forgiving of certain flaws... just a fun mythical consideration.

☀️Sun County Apologist☀️

Chalana Arroy has mythic links to Urox with No-wound-day where she heals him after his fight with Wakboth. Chalana initiates also have CHA*5 % chance to bring a Strombull out of berserk trance.  If they have good plant lore and alchemy, then they might be able to produce some patent hangover remedies too.

Strormbulls might be useful to have around, since Chaos is one of the few groups that don't respect a healer's neutrality. Arguably Stormbul violence is either anti-Chaos or training for anti-Chaos, so perhaps it's more forgivable than clan raiding and warfare that is directed against non-chaos for selfish gain...

{Spell checker of course thinks that Arroy means arrow...}

Edited by Byll
  • Like 2

IMG at least the 'barely human' thing is a very significant exaggeration.

There is a point to be made about Storm Bull; he's a berserker god, yes, but he's not associated with the Disorder rune. In fact, he's a family man! Storm Bull mythically gave up his other lovers to be with Eiritha/Uralda. He fought the Devil in Prax in order to protect his family, and held his own only because they supported him. Storm Bull is a force of great violence and destruction, but that force is turned outwards in defense of something; it isn't random or absolutely uncontrollable.

So at least IMG there are a few different manifestations of Storm Bull. The initiates of the cult are, certainly, bad houseguests; they tend to be violent, paranoid, usually suffering from PTSD, and prone to self-medicating with alcohol and hard drugs. But that describes a hell of a lot of people throughout history, certainly in a harsh environment like Prax, and it doesn't at all stop them (at least the ones who survive to get a bit older) from marrying and taking up a position more centered around defense of their family unit rather than actively hunting Chaos down.  

EDIT: Also IMG there are a fairly significant number of women and nonbinary people in the Praxian Storm Bull cult, because that's one of the major ways for nonconformist people to escape the strict gender binary of Waha/Eiritha dominated society. If you join the warbands, nobody cares what's in your pants as long as you can fight. 

Edited by General Confusion
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, DucksMustDie said:

I know that, but those women haven´t met our Storm Bulls. They really are barely humans 😄 Finding women for them, aargh 

Well, this goes for some men as well as Storm Bull I suppose 😉 (and some women too). Some people are just a bad fit for getting along with other people period. Dunno if we can blame Storm Bull for that...

☀️Sun County Apologist☀️

10 hours ago, DucksMustDie said:

Storm Bulls are mindless brutes and barely human, right?

Only if they are emphasising their Beast Rune over Storm Bull’s other two Runes. My players have all chosen the Death or Air Rune, and so their Beast is around 50%.

How difficult it is for them to find wives?

Not really. One is married, two are single, the female one has two children. 

Who would take such a suicidal (and probably penniless) maniac as a husband?

The married one is isn’t a Rune Lord yet, but is an assistant in training as his dad is the Local Khan, his wife (married before he was a khan is the clan scribe). His ritual wife is an Eiritha Priestess, who tends the clan cows at Clearwine and is married to a Thunderous initiate. 

The other two are very respected chaos killers and very much in demand, hence she’s had two children, while the other is waiting to meet miss right. This is Sartar, just because people think you are all bestial berserkers, doesn’t mean you actually are. (Only berserkers when chaos appears).

I base Storm Bulls on the many bikers I’ve know in my life. Most are very family orientated, and love their kids just as most people do. 

• Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

11 hours ago, DucksMustDie said:

Storm Bulls are mindless brutes and barely human, right? How difficult it is for them to find wives? Who would take such a suicidal (and probably penniless) maniac as a husband? I was wondering if this could spawn an adventure, like finding wives for a whole camp of Storm Bulls 🙂 

remember women can join stormbull

WARNING PEGI 60 / bad humour and sensitive beast

Spoiler

-if your :20-form-beast: rune is more or less 95%- 

remember too that real cows and bulls  probably don't care what will happen if you meet one hundred broos next week

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DucksMustDie said:

I know that, but those women haven´t met our Storm Bulls. They really are barely humans 😄 Finding women for them, aargh 

Sounds like good material for long distance relationship marriages, then. Come home for some make-out sessions after some serious bathing and grooming, then send them off as far as possible to do boy stuff while keeping the more useful sons around to do man stuff.

I wonder how much of a bestiality taboo holy people of Storm Bull and Eiritha have towards their totem animals, or towards minotaurs. If you look at the Founders, they basically are minotaurs of the corresponding totemic beast. That's barely human, too...

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 9/4/2023 at 5:26 PM, DucksMustDie said:

Storm Bulls are mindless brutes and barely human, right? How difficult it is for them to find wives? Who would take such a suicidal (and probably penniless) maniac as a husband? I was wondering if this could spawn an adventure, like finding wives for a whole camp of Storm Bulls 🙂 

Have you never heard of biker gang chicks?  Assuming you have, do you seriously think Prax doesn't have women of that inclination?  Of course they probably don't "pull trains" because they haven't been invented yet.

Edited by Darius West
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

In our campaign, my Sartarite Vinga warrior, along with another PC's Chalana Arroy, visited The Block.  The local Storm Bulls were polite to the healer, but obnoxiously hit on my red head.  She learned a lot more Praxian - I noted it as "57 different Praxian terms to describe sex".  The GM gave her a free +5% in her Speak Praxian.  🙂

On 9/4/2023 at 3:31 AM, DucksMustDie said:

But the Storm Bulls would probably say ´No thanks´ to a date night with Babs. Even they have limits 🙂 

Or some would be unable to pass up such a challenge.  

Seriously, all you need for such a night is a high Death rune affinity  and a Babeester Gor who is off duty and looking for some fun. 

Just remember, you never lie to her... especially on oath....  The last guy who said "Baby, I swear I only want you", well that's part of him on that string hanging on her armor.

But back to the topic of Storm Bulls, that behavior normally drops off after a guy enters his 30s.  Though I agree that most won't last that long if they seek out Chaos to fight every season or more often.  The broos and ogres probaaly have a Storm Bull drill, one baits him into the ambush.

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
Spelling / typing