What worlds would people like to see in BRP?

Shiba Homer

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey...I've played the modern version of that game...Afghanistan:The Land That Everything Forgot!?! It's got warlords, terrorists, drug dealers, mercenaries, corporations, hippies and a military bent.

-STS

A friend of mine played that game in Yugoslavia 10 years ago. Considering his life now, the rules seems to be the same!

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

I don't want to spoil the thread, but my dad served in Africa during Suez and I would get really irate with anyone who turned his very harsh experiences into a game.

For my understanding, where are you from?

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

I just find it hard when people make games (more esp First person) out of wars that living men and women served and still serve in.

I agree with that statement, but don't forget that this preclude 1st and 2nd world war, plus Korea, Indochina, Vietnam, Suez, Algeria, Congo, Lebannon, Chad, Yugoslavia, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Russia, China, Tibet, India, Pakistan, Israel conflicts.

All in all, that means almost all contemporary games are forbidden. The country I'm living in (France) has known less than 20 years of global peace in the last 200 years.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

I would love to see BRP material for the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson. Particularly, the magic system. I even think Erikson is attempting to develop an rpg based on the books. It seems they may use GURPS or gah...d20. I think BRP would do a superior job. The world has ridiculously powerful magic users that can still be dropped with a single knife thrust or stray arrow. War is brutal for everyone and the entire tone is one of exploration and hidden plots tinged with impending doom for all.

Darkthorn

• 2 years later...

Many of those I'd like to see have been nominated already in this thread. Here's some which attracted my special attention.

Shaira said:
I've recently been reading W. H. Prescott's "History of the Conquest of Mexico" and "History of the Conquest of Peru", and have been amazed by the depth and drama of the situation. That's a period which is rich for RPG pickings yet which has been (AFAIK) neglected so far.

1.) I studied Peru and the Conquistadors and I agree that sixteenth century South American history, with or without the fantastical elements would be a great setting.

RosenMcStern said:

Seriously, Dario Corallo and I have been thinking of an adaptation for this setting for decades (literallly). The only problem is that Vance's works are still copyrighted, and I prefer settings that can be published without having to pay royalties in advance. Even publishing it as a free product could cause trouble.

I think Burrough's Barsoom is public domain now, and I am sure Dario has some GURPS adaptation for it ready (easily BRPable). But Planet Tschai is much more fascinating. Just shout "Onmale!" and go berserk :thumb:

2). Yes I would love a Vancian Planet of Adventure BRP setting. I have the GURPS book but it doesn't quite cut it.

3). Third is mostly original for this thread. I would like to see a hard science fiction set in colonies of the Solar System of the future with NO INTERSTELLAR DRIVES to get us quickly outta there. It's a part of our future which most science fiction writers skip quickly over to get to the stars and the aliens and galactic empires. The inclusion of functioning Faster-Than-Light drives crosses the border between real hard science fiction and speculative fantasy. (Wormholes are conceivable, though human-traversible ones are less so). Cthulhu Rising and especially its Jupiter setting is not bad for this if you dump (or conceal) the Mythos aliens and the star drives (this goes for 2300AD too). However, the Solar System is an amazing wilderness. It is real, it is public domain. It is the perfect sandbox campaign. Literary inspirations: 'The Stars My Destination' by Alfred Bester, 'Martian Time-slip' by Philip K. Dick (maybe also 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep') and 'The Ennead' by Jan Mark (which is set in an alternate Solar System, but similarly constrained there).

4.) The post-human Earth described in Illium and Olympos by Dan Simmons might be an interesting setting too. (Though perhaps it could be made as a variation of (3) above.)

And, on a tangent:

RosenMcStern said:
Tamriel is copyrighted by Bethesda (or whomever owns Bethesda Softworks at present, I cannot recall the name), so an official conversion is unlikely to appear. I heard they are planning to publish the system and the setting as a P&P RPG, and in this case it will be rather similar to BRP, as the game is skill based and has hit points, fatigue points and magic points. Unfortunately it also has a HP increase when leveling.

Incidentally, the Morrowind setting was written by Ken Rolston, and you can find "suspiciously sounding" names among those found on the isle, like "The Grazelands" and "Puzzle Canal".

There is a fan-created Tamriel BRP conversion here (link is dead)

Edited by Questbird

Well I'ld like to see everything done in BRP

Top of my list would be Glorantha 3rd Age once again! (But a bit less quirky this time around...)

Other settings:

- Hyboria (it must be up for grabs now that Mongoose has left it)

- Malazan Series would be good

- Hell, any new mature fantasy would be cool, Game of Thrones, The First Law etc

- A Cyberspace setting

- Perido St Station - China Meville's worlds would be great

- Pulp Series (1920s - 1950s)

- More Mythic /Historic Earth

- A Mad Max/ After Raganok/ Fallout style setting - grim, dusty, and brutal (reminds me of RQ Prax...)

Well thats just a few for starters...

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Guest Vile Traveller

3). Third is mostly original for this thread. I would like to see a hard science fiction set in colonies of the Solar System of the future with NO INTERSTELLAR DRIVES to get us quickly outta there.

I've been developing a star system setting for this sort of thing for a while now. Originally inspired by the idea that the Serenity 'Verse was a quintuple star system, the intent is to create a system which would actually work without Whedon terraforming-magic. I've posted some progress on the SFRPG forum, but not lately. I'm using GURPS Space 4e plus real world for the world generation, but the end product will actually be systemless - though if it gets published it will probably be under the Mongoose Traveller Logo Licence. Might have to formalise a BRP SF rulebook when its done. I didn't go for our Solar system because I wanted a completely free hand, and there's just too much information available on the Solar system for my liking. I don't think most games or authors really appreciate how stupidly VAST star systems are, and this baby is bigger than most.

Edited by Vile

I just browsed this thread to see which settings I would have liked when I was a

few years younger. It turned out I only proposed Niven's Known Space of the

Ringworld novels and Weber's Honorverse of the Honor Harrington novels. Today

I would delete the Honorverse, because Weber's latest novels made me grow ti-

red of this setting. Known Space would still be nice, but I can well do without it.

In the end I am probably a "design it yourself" referee, who loves to create his

own stuff instead of buying material others wrote.

Well, back into the Swamps of Carelan, there is a rebellion to organize ... B-)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

I didn't go for our Solar system because I wanted a completely free hand, and there's just too much information available on the Solar system for my liking. I don't think most games or authors really appreciate how stupidly VAST star systems are, and this baby is bigger than most.

Interesting. A generic system for...a System would be good. As for our Solar System, I don't have a problem with its size and I find the amount of information about it useful. In fact I think some familiarity with the setting helps the players. The referee could add social and political stuff. The farthest planets and (ahem) Plutons would take quite a while to reach, though I expect propulsion systems would improve. Those planets will be like South Sea islands in the 17th century (except for the vegetation): remote, small population, cut off from the mainstream.

Edited by Questbird

Guest Vile Traveller

As for our Solar System, I don't have a problem with its size and I find the amount of information about it useful.
To clarify, it can be a problem when your players know more about the setting than you do or, worse, think they do. It's why I don't like historical settings on Earth, either. Using only the generic information but plugging it into a unique "place" means the referee won't have to deal with setting lawyers. There are always rules lawyers, of course ... :7

To be serious, I know that most players won't disrupt the willing suspension of disbelief just to showcase their superior knowledge of planetology, but it happens often enough that it's worthwhile avoiding the whole issue. And if something is published, you have to be very serious about your research to avoid your product being figuratively torn to shreds by the grognards. Er, that's my long-winded reasoning there, I guess.

Oh, and I like making stuff up. :P

The farthest planets and (ahem) Plutons would take quite a while to reach, though I expect propulsion systems would improve. Those planets will be like South Sea islands in the 17th century (except for the vegetation): remote, small population, cut off from the mainstream.

Yep. In fact, my system is more like one solo and two binary systems with a common barycentre. To give you an idea of the scale, to travel between systems you have to pass through kuiper belts. Think really, really big. Way further than going down the road to the chemist's.

Worlds I would like to see for BRP...

There are actually a lot of settings I would like to see done for BRP, but these are the select few where I would truly rejoice if Chaosium converted them.

• Doctor Who
    Because pretty much nothing is more awesome than Doctor Who. I want stats for every incarnation of the doctor, every companion, every supporting character, and every adversary. I want adventures, supplements, maps, online stuff, and official campaigns run a hobby stores (similar to D&D Encounters). The whole works.
  • Dune
    The Dune series seems just perfect for BRP. I would like to see only the stuff by Frank Herbert converted, not any of that cheap crap from the wannabe hack Brian Herbert.
  • Lighthearted Faery Tales (For Young Players)
    This could be a great way to introduce children as young as seven or eight to roleplaying. It could be similar to Dungeons & Dragons in concept, but light, cartoonish, colorful, and very simple. I would also appeal to childish adults.

What d you think?

Qué?

Our current fantasy campaign. Nasty noble has royal family murdered and decla-

res himself king, loyal commoners flee to the swamps and plot rebellion, brave

smugglers supply them with weapons, guerilla war begins ... a bit like Robin Hood

with crossbows in a flooded Sherwood Forest ... :)

(Charlie Chan)

I'd love to see these old favorites.

ElfQuest

Thieves World

:)

Sadly, can't see Elfquest ever getting renewed.

Green Ronin's version of the Thieves World setting was very good, and although for d20 is fairly easy to convert for the most part: it's also preposterously cheap at the moment in their 10th Anniversary sale for the gift set - and the PDF's of the main setting books are only $15 as well.

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by NickMiddleton

Green Ronin's version of the Thieves World setting was very good, and although for d20 is fairly easy to convert for the most part: it's also preposterously cheap at the moment in their 10th Anniversary sale for the gift set...

Yes, very good indeed. I bought two sets.:)

We played a campaign last year using the True20 rules. Maybe I should spend some time putting together a BRP conversion sheet.

I don`t play monsters. I play men besieged by fate and out for revenge. ~Vincent Price

Sadly, can't see Elfquest ever getting renewed.

Thank the gods! That is sooo last millenium... and I have it, even ran a session... oh... about 20 years ago... maybe more...

But this, for me at least, highlights the problem Chaosium faces. Elfquest, Thieves World, Ringworld, Stormbringer, Glorantha, this is all old stuff. I mean it was written when the original inspiration for them was available as current material. And the problem with Glorantha, and I really love this as a place to role play, is that it can require a huge amount of research to pluck some of the gems from the background. I still run RQ for my players, partly because I like the cohesion that the mythology has, partly because I love the game mechanics, partly because all together its ridiculous, outrageous and genius. Partly because I have spent sooo much time learning some of its secrets.

[*]Dune

The Dune series seems just perfect for BRP. I would like to see only the stuff by Frank Herbert converted, not any of that cheap crap from the wannabe hack Brian Herbert.

Now Dune! Thats a nice choice, I'd go there, but you cant exclude his sons material. While I agree that Brian's not as good (or even, no-where near as good) as his old man, he has added to the mythology and it would at least have to be included. No matter how much it makes your teeth ache.

I like conan too, but its been done done done, there are movies, books computer games and rpgs about this already. I want something new and equally genius.

Ok, so going out on a limb, and I don't know if I've offered this before (this is a very long thread now)... but my suggestion for a possible contender for a world I'd like to visit would be David Brins Uplift books... I like sci fi, intrigue, animals and weird aliens, so these books tick all my boxes :o

Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

David Brins Uplift books...

They would make an excellent setting, but to translate the technology - in fact,

the many technologies - into BRP terms would be a true nightmare. Even GURPS

with its very elaborate technology system had problems with this.

(Charlie Chan)

Um - can we just assume that I've posted my standard rant about needing new, fresh exciting and original scenarios and sourcebooks that enable play (a la Griffin Mountain / Island, Arkham Unveiled, Sea Kings of the Purple Towns, The Traveller Adventure), rather than chasing the chimera of licensed IP or old settings that were popular once? I could type the whole thing out again, but I can't be arsed...

;)

Nick

Um - can we just assume that I've posted my standard rant about needing new, fresh exciting and original scenarios and sourcebooks ...

While I see your point and agree, the title of the thread will inevitably lead to

the naming of old settings and IPs, too.

Since this thread is already quite long, perhaps start a new one asking for ideas

on new, fresh and original worlds for BRP ?

(Charlie Chan)

Well... China Meville's works could be a definate contender, very sci-fi/fantasy/steampunk noir...

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Well... China Meville's works could be a definate contender, very sci-fi/fantasy/steampunk noir...

If I'm not mistaken, I believe someone is already working on that. Though I don't know what rules-system is involved. Cubicle 7 perhaps?

EDIT: Adamant Entertainment appears to be the culprit.

Edited by hanszurcher

I don`t play monsters. I play men besieged by fate and out for revenge. ~Vincent Price