BRP Hardback?

Pnick

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The preview '0 edition' book is softback, but we don't know what the final 1st edition book will be like yet.

If Chaosium follow the same pattern as they do with new Call of Cthulhu editions, the mass production of the book will be in softback, but their may be an early print run of hardbacks too.

Nothing guaranteeed, of course, and I'm not 'in the know' myself, but I'd say that there is a reasonable chance that everybody on this site will get hardbacks if they want.

The preview '0 edition' book is softback, but we don't know what the final 1st edition book will be like yet.

If Chaosium follow the same pattern as they do with new Call of Cthulhu editions, the mass production of the book will be in softback, but their may be an early print run of hardbacks too.

Trip speaks wisely.

That's great news.

I stumbled into this forum today - it's the first that I've heard of the new version of BRP. Looking at the previews has, after some eight years off, actually got me excited about RPGs again.

Here's hoping that the art and layout of the product line are up to this high standard. Nothing puts me off purchasing more than poor illustrations and layout (see Mongoose's appalling RQ line...). Great illustrations can really inspire play.

Anyway, I seem to have hijacked my own thread. Eagerly awaiting future Chaosium developments.

Why do people prefer hardback for gaming books so often?

It seems like a lot of the ones I've seen have fallen apart significantly faster than the softcover versions.

If it were a good solid hardback, like a textbook quality, I'd go for it... but if it's anything like those old Games Workshop hardcovers... I'd avoid it like... like I avoided those old Games Workshop hardcovers...

Well, it's not necessary hardback for me as it is hardcopy. I love books and the printed word. I like the smell of a new book. I like holding a book in my hands. I don't want to see books become obsolete.

You're right, some hardback gaming books are terribly bound like the old Unearthed Arcana from 1st AD&D. I think that book fell apart with my first reading.

BRP Ze 32/420

You're right, some hardback gaming books are terribly bound like the old Unearthed Arcana from 1st AD&D. I think that book fell apart with my first reading.

I still got my copy of UA from 1985. First book I bought. Very attached to it. Very fond. In excellent condition. I think my copy is magical as all my friends copies fell apart in a few weeks.

Now my Oriental Adventures, that thing was cursed I tell ya, CURSED!!!

Why do people prefer hardback for gaming books so often?

Probably because, if bound correctly, the books are far more resilient when transported in a bag. When I was younger, I moved only with a motorbike and had to transport everything in bags. Hardcover had a better life duration.

Now, I still prefer them for resilience in the gaming room, even if transport is not a problem anymore.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

'If bound correctly' being the problematic variable.

Indeed. And the poblem with variables is that they vary.

Personally, I'm getting fond of pdfs with clear plastic covers and a plastic spiral binding. It is durable, water resistant when closed, and can be laid down flat.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Indeed. And the poblem with variables is that they vary.

Personally, I'm getting fond of pdfs with clear plastic covers and a plastic spiral binding. It is durable, water resistant when closed, and can be laid down flat.

another great advantage of pdf is that you can print out only the needed parts of the book and then give it to your players.

Indeed. And the problem with variables is that they vary.

I presume you have a laptop. My desktop is an old server (around 30 kg), and I don't carry it around.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

'If bound correctly' being the problematic variable.

I am used to french edition of Chaosium books (Both Oriflam and Jeux Descartes), whose hardbacks were, to say the least, very sturdy. All of them are still here, after years of usage.

But I agree some are not so resilient (Games Workshop forex).

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

• 2 weeks later...

After having several MRQ books fall apart on me, I'd be quite happy to pay a higher price for a sturdy BRP core book. If they did a leather bound one, like that special edition CoC book.... dear me, my inner Biblomaniac is acting up again. :D

Was it glued or bound/stiched?

SGL.