ANNOUNCEMENT: BRP CENTRAL IS CHAOSIUM'S NEW OFFICIAL ONLINE FORUM

MOB

BRP Central (basicroleplaying.org) is the new official online forum for Chaosium, company president Rick Meints announced today.

"Since day one the new Chaosium team has stated that one of our core commitments is to communicate better with our tribe: our Kickstarter backers, our creatives, our players, and our fans," said Meints. "We want to listen, get your feedback, and be a part of discussing all of our games with you, the people who make Chaosium what it is, and who want to help make it better than ever before."

Please note the forums at Glorantha.com will no longer remain active. Instead, (as you can no doubt see here on the site) BRP Central now features a dedicated Chaosium Family of Games section, with forums for Call of Cthulhu, Glorantha, RuneQuest Gateway, BRP, Magic World, and more!

"Many thanks to BRP Central guru and adminstrator Trifletraxor for his generous support of this initiative!", said Michael O'Brien ("MOB"), Chaosium VP for Product Development and Community Outreach.

Edited by MOB
  • Like 5

Cool! Will the name or URL address change at all? Also, what about The Design Mechanism forums. I like the forums and involvement of the creators but, to be honest the forums in all these separate places can be a little slow. If we can get one centralised forum to discuss all these games, then traffic might be cross pollinated a bit? 

I think we all can look forward to a strong Chaosium presence here at BRP Central. The URL stays as doing otherwise would hurt the SEO-worthiness of the threads on Google. BRP Central is the name that was given to the site by our members and thus stays for now. Should however our members start referring to it by another name this might change. We will work to have the content of the Glorantha forum moved from Glorantha.com to the Glorantha forum here. As for subforum-structure, this will have to be discussed further, with polls to get your input too! ;)

• Like 7

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

I think it really says a lot that the greater powers have looked down from their heavenly perches and smiled on this fan site.

Thanks to Sverre (Trifletraxor) for all your hard work through various upgrades, bug fixes, and files section nightmares. :)

• Like 6

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

Guest Vile Traveller

Will there be a dedicated Heroquest forum?

I really hope not - The beauty of BRP Central is that it deals with a common language, BRP. The increase in CoC traffic is already noticeable, which was previously perfectly happy over at Yog-sothoth.com, but at least that's BRP. I have no opinion on HQ as a game as that type of approach doesn't interest me, but if we start to get all manner of systems appearing here it's going to become as usable as RPG.net (i.e. not very).

On that note, can I ask for a little clarification - is BRP Central now part of Chaosium, or is the Chaosium Family of Games part of the forums now just moderated by Chaosium the same way that Legend is moderated by Matt, and A:e is moderated by that Vile guy, etc.? Is "BRP Central is the new official online forum for Chaosium" just marketing speak for "Triff has given us a spot on BRP Central"?

In other words, Triff, are you still independent or have you been swallowed by the corporate machine? ;)

Edited by Vile

In other words, Triff, are you still independent or have you been swallowed by the corporate machine? ;)

Or less delicately, can we get drunk and spout off about how, "Chaosium killed the game I loved and fucked up CoC!" without fear of 'official' reprisals?

Will there be a dedicated Heroquest forum?

I really hope not - The beauty of BRP Central is that it deals with a common language, BRP. The increase in CoC traffic is already noticeable, which was previously perfectly happy over at Yog-sothoth.com, but at least that's BRP. I have no opinion on HQ as a game as that type of approach doesn't interest me, but if we start to get all manner of systems appearing here it's going to become as usable as RPG.net (i.e. not very).

We are moving a bit away from the pure d100 origins of this site with this move, as the Glorantha and More from Chaosium forums likely will include discussions about other game systems and other games too, including HeroQuest. I do however think that this is a small "price" to pay for the increased presence of Chaosium publishers and writers. I have already been using their HeroQuest supplements for my d100 gaming in Glorantha for quite some time now, so I'm probably more interested in discussions of HQ supplements than most. If there will be subforums within the Glorantha forum for the different game systems used for Glorantha is something we will figure out in the coming days. I myself prefer one active forum for the Glorantha setting and all the game systems used for it, but if the members here request it we might see subforums too. I'll open a poll for it in the Glorantha forum later today.   

• Like 1

On that note, can I ask for a little clarification - is BRP Central now part of Chaosium, or is the Chaosium Family of Games part of the forums now just moderated by Chaosium the same way that Legend is moderated by Matt, and A:e is moderated by that Vile guy, etc.? Is "BRP Central is the new official online forum for Chaosium" just marketing speak for "Triff has given us a spot on BRP Central"?

Somewhere in between, I'd describe it more like a partnership. BRP Central is the official forum for Chaosium and thus Chaosium have much more influence here now, but the site has not been sold and is not owned by Chaosium. I'm still the one responsible for the stuff that appears on the site and what files are found in the download section. 

Or less delicately, can we get drunk and spout off about how, "Chaosium killed the game I loved and fucked up CoC!" without fear of 'official' reprisals?

The heavy-handed and oppressive BRP Central censorship that you have learned to fear will of course continue! ;)

• Like 4

I think we all can look forward to a strong Chaosium presence here at BRP Central. The URL stays as doing otherwise would hurt the SEO-worthiness of the threads on Google. BRP Central is the name that was given to the site by our members and thus stays for now. Should however our members start referring to it by another name this might change. We will work to have the content of the Glorantha forum moved from Glorantha.com to the Glorantha forum here. As for subforum-structure, this will have to be discussed further, with polls to get your input too! ;)

The SEO would surely be strengthened through using the Chaosium brand name in the URL, no? Also, the Chaosium range of products is far more than BRP, so again the BRP name doesn't seem to fit that too well. I've raised some further points in the thread started by Rick on this, but my biggest question is about whether these are now the new official Chaosium forums. If so (and Rick said they are, right?), then surely the BRP name (as evidenced by the banner picture showing an out-of-date range of games at the top of the page) is not so appropriate?

Edit - ah, I've just realised (through further reading) that these forums are not owned by Chaosium. My apologies to the owner of the site if my comments seem to not acknowledge his own hard work. But I'm still struggling with the whole BRP vs Chaosium thing.

Edited by Steve

I'm asking about the heroquest obviously as the Glorantha.com forum has been shut down and we've been sent here. There' s nowhere else for us to discuss stuff in detail. I have no interest in RQ6 or 13th Age, nor BRP, but will still be using this forum. Having a thread just for HQ means I don't have to fill your thread with my stuff and vice versa :)

The heavy-handed and oppressive BRP Central censorship that you have learned to fear will of course continue! ;)

I am guessing this means that there is no issue in continuing (now and in future) to discuss and support the wide range of  the BRP family of systems, including closely related/derived systems such as AEON, Revolution, Gore, Delta Green, OpenQuest, and others - most d100 systems. To me this is what BRP Central has always been about (including related genres and worlds in the context of BRP, such as Glorantha). Most people here mix and match a variety of sources (systems and backgrounds) for their own personalised version of BRP.

I can see everything coexisting nicely from a user point of view. However I do need to ask the question regarding what business decisions might occur when there is a conflict of interest. Eg: supporting systems that could be viewed as direct competitors to Chaosium RQ6, CoC and HeroQuest; when these forums are also the official Chaosium forums.

Personally, I see the optimal benefit with them living side by side. They will effectively support each other.

Edited by dragonewt
Spelling
  • Like 3

The SEO would surely be strengthened through using the Chaosium brand name in the URL, no? Also, the Chaosium range of products is far more than BRP, so again the BRP name doesn't seem to fit that too well. I've raised some further points in the thread started by Rick on this, but my biggest question is about whether these are now the new official Chaosium forums. If so (and Rick said they are, right?), then surely the BRP name (as evidenced by the banner picture showing an out-of-date range of games at the top of the page) is not so appropriate?

You raise a good point about the name. BRP Central has been the name it has had for some time now. It's now BRP Central - The Chaosium forums in the metatag. We'll just see what sticks with the community. Banner will probably be updated more than once! ;)

I'm asking about the heroquest obviously as the Glorantha.com forum has been shut down and we've been sent here. There' s nowhere else for us to discuss stuff in detail. I have no interest in RQ6 or 13th Age, nor BRP, but will still be using this forum. Having a thread just for HQ means I don't have to fill your thread with my stuff and vice versa :)

There's a poll over in the Glorantha forum now, go vote! Personally I prefer all the Glorantha discussions in one place, independent of system, but if the majority wants system-specific Glorantha subforums, you'll get it!

I am guessing this means that there is no issue in continuing (now and in future) to discuss and support the wide range of  the BRP family of systems, including closely related/derived systems such as AEON, Revolution, Gore, Delta Green, OpenQuest, and others - most d100 systems. To me this is what BRP Central has always been about (including related genres and worlds in the context of BRP, such as Glorantha). Most people here mix and match a variety of sources (systems and backgrounds) for their own personalised version of BRP.

BRP Central will continue to supporting discussions for the entire BRP family and this includes hosting subforums for the major non-Chaosium d100 systems. No change in this policy!

• Like 14

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...