Robin's Book?

Aprewett

• 1 year later...

A blast from the past:

Press Release, January 21 2001
Oakland, CA
Issaries Inc. Signs Robin D. Laws to Write Novel

Issaries, Inc., is proud to announce that it has signed up world famous author and game designer Robin D. Laws to write a novel for the Hero Wars fiction line. Robin is known for his excellent fiction works, including the novels Pierced Heart and The Rough and the Smooth. Robin is also the designer of the popular roleplaying games Feng Shui and Hero Wars, among many others.

A Promise of Thunder is a full length novel about young Tarkalor, the forgotten son of the royal family of the Kingdom of Sartar. The young prince struggles with the burden of royal blood and divine descent during Sartar's war against the Lunar Empire.

Robin comments, "I've always wanted to write fiction set in Glorantha. My Tarkalor novel deals with the nature of heroism, the clash of ideologies, and passionate family conflict; all perfect for good fiction. Not just good gaming fiction, but good fiction, period."

=> a glimpse of the future fiction line?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick Meints said:

Chaosium has a long and storied history of announcing 'forthcoming" products that never end up making it into print.

Refreshing to see senior management owning that. I also appreciate that you all have been taking concrete steps to improve the situation.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

Chaosium has a long and storied history of announcing 'forthcoming" products that never end up making it into print.

Yes. When HQ finally came out I almost had a heart attack.I had long considered it the vaporware of RPGs. 

Now, I Know the Chasoium always meant to release that announced stuff, but for various reasons things didn't work out as planned. 

• Haha 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I think this 'long and storied history' is one of the main reasons, why Chaosium these days is so reluctant in announcing official release dates for new products - which looking at the last releases makes a lot of sense, because now you know, if they say a release is coming, then it is really avaiable in a relatively short time frame ...

On 4/29/2019 at 8:38 PM, Rick Meints said:

And long may it continue!

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 4/29/2019 at 3:29 PM, JonL said:
On 4/29/2019 at 1:38 PM, Rick Meints said:

Refreshing to see senior management owning that. I also appreciate that you all have been taking concrete steps to improve the situation.

Yay, go Rick!

On 4/30/2019 at 10:07 AM, Oracle said:

I think this 'long and storied history' is one of the main reasons, why Chaosium these days is so reluctant in announcing official release dates for new products - which looking at the last releases makes a lot of sense, because now you know, if they say a release is coming, then it is really avaiable in a relatively short time frame ...

almost as storied as the poor edits... most before you I am sure,  Rick:)

Sorry boys door was open, barbarians ya know... just wandered in. loving this thread

cheers

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2017 at 11:43 PM, 7Tigers said:

Old scheduled fictions like "A Promise of Thunder" by Robin Laws or "Queen's Heir" by John Boyle or the various Greg's books have never been released.
Yet.
Perhaps one day....

Actually, the Boyle seems to have been published!!!

Just, reskinned a bit...

https://www.amazon.com/Queens-Heir-Fantasy-Hittites-Children-ebook/dp/B01GD9GHGM#customerReviews

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 6/6/2019 at 3:01 AM, g33k said:

Just, reskinned a bit...

https://www.amazon.com/Queens-Heir-Fantasy-Hittites-Children-ebook/dp/B01GD9GHGM#customerReviews

Interesting! What happened that it is not in Glorantha, though? Thousands of gods and bronze age mentioned...

On 6/6/2019 at 11:28 PM, jrutila said:

Interesting! What happened that it is not in Glorantha, though? Thousands of gods and bronze age mentioned...

I don't know what happened.  Maybe an editor or someone convinced him there MIGHT be a market for ancient/historical fantasy, but not for Gloranthan fantasy.  😞

But you'd have to ask the author to get the real answer, instead of  an internet-rando guess like mine.  🙄

I expect he'd reply to a fellow Gloranthaphile!  😎

Edited by g33k
Typo'ed a mis-edit

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, g33k said:

I don't know what happened.  Maybe an editor or someone convinced him there MIGHT be a market for ancient/historical fantasy, but not for Gloranthan fantasy.  😞

But you'd have to ask the author to get the real answer, instead of ian nternet-rando guess like mine.  🙄

I expect he'd reply to a fellow Gloranthaphile!  😎

If whatever uniquely-Gloranthan elements in earlier drafts were not essential to the story, an editor or agent would have done well to advise him to replace them with references to the same ancient myths and civilizations that inspired Glorantha, and then be able to own his work outright rather than have to deal with licensing someone else's IP. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've got Boyle's book and while it may perhaps have been a good Gloranthan novel it doesn't survive the attempt to port it into the actual late bronze age where there was not for instance a continents-spanning empire worshipping a living goddess that conquered the Hittites (Sartar) or trolls and elves wandering about Anatolia.

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...

I saw the discussion

On 6/5/2019 at 7:01 PM, g33k said:

Just, reskinned a bit...

, bought it, and am now reading the sequel.  Queen'sHeir is good, i didn't want to put it down and missed most of a night of sleep. 

• Like 1