Arfritha Vale

Puckohue

10 minutes ago, Puckohue said:

I've found some general info on Arfritha Vale, but not so much on specifics like Red Bird Fort or Famous Bell. Does anyone remember if there is anything published somewhere, maybe in some fanzine?

Both places have entries in Dragon Pass - Land of Thunder in the category Resettlement Sagas, naming the founders or co-founders of these settlements and their memorable activities.

Edited by Joerg
  • Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

11 hours ago, Puckohue said:

but not so much on specifics like Red Bird Fort or Famous Bell. Does anyone remember if there is anything published somewhere, maybe in some fanzine?

Aside from the entries Joerg noted, no nothing published. 

Redbird is the clan center for the Lysang clan (who are situated on the west bank of the Arfritha).  Famous Bell is the same for the Namolding clan (who are along the east bank including the Brambleberry Hills and Dog Rat Vale).  In my game, I had a Lunar camp stationed during the fair weather seasons outside Redbird controlling the ford across the Arfritha, but nothing canonical with that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jajagappa said:

a Lunar camp stationed ... outside Redbird

Well they're gone with the (dragon)wind. :) Those who didn't desert or flee are probably besieged in Jonstown. My campaign is currently in late Earth Season 1625.

Although I love to be able to use all the Glorantha material, it actually feels good to have a few places to develop myself.

1 hour ago, Puckohue said:

Well they're gone with the (dragon)wind. :) Those who didn't desert or flee are probably besieged in Jonstown. My campaign is currently in late Earth Season 1625.

Although I love to be able to use all the Glorantha material, it actually feels good to have a few places to develop myself.

Never hesitate to develop existing places. The city maps in Sartar-Kingdom of Heroes and the Sartar Companion are more in the nature of guidelines than well-defined terrain. I'll take the view of the Swenstown eastern gate from the street scene on p.162 of the rules over anything I could construct from the aerial view in those older publications. It is pretty normal to supersede an existing description of a person or place with some creation of your own if that ties in your characters better, and on that level of magnification canon is a very thin substance.

A while back when the new Clearwine was revealed there was a discussion of having villages with folk from more than one clan permanently inhabiting them. That's a concept we had seen only for cities so far, and absent from existing description.

I wonder whether some stray Lunar survivors/deserters might form, join or take over outlaw bands in the outback. This would be an interesting encounter...

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

• 2 months later...

I just found this topic wandering on long gone threads! As it happened I wrote a quite long description of the Arfritha Vale, but unfortunately it is in French. If anyone is blessed by Issaries and speaks this barbarian language I  will be happy to share! I could also translate but it would take quite a while.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Minlister said:

I just found this topic wandering on long gone threads! As it happened I wrote a quite long description of the Arfritha Vale, but unfortunately it is in French. If anyone is blessed by Issaries and speaks this barbarian language I  will be happy to share! I could also translate but it would take quite a while.

Je parle plus Quebecois, mais je veux essayez ton ouvre, mon vieux, merci. 

I would like to give that a try. Where did you say you say it was stashed?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

I think québécois should be perfect, I am not exactly a poet!!

You can have it here, it is still partly WIP but there is already a lot of things. It is based on the description of the Lysang clan and is the background for my campaign. I also have a better description of the Lunar slave farm (alluded to p. 56 of this document) in the introductory scenario if you are  interested.  

I use a dropbox link to be able to give updates of the current version.

Bonne lecture!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7yi9e9hv2mw7s8w/Lysang BtB.pdf?dl=0Lysang BtB.pdf

• Thanks 2

• 1 year later...

Unless things changed a lot since I playtested it, there'll be a scenario set in and around Famous Bell and the Namolding clan in the French edition of RuneQuest. (Not much help, I know, and it didn't say much about the Famous Bell itself. In my game, the players struck it with a Dagger-Axe and it shattered, so now they are known throughout Colymar lands as the "Bell Enders.")

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

Unless things changed a lot since I playtested it, there'll be a scenario set in and around Famous Bell and the Namolding clan in the French edition of RuneQuest.

It's in the preview PDF. There's not a lot about Famous Bell as far as I can tell, besides a couple of paragraphs here and there, but it's really making my head hurt to read stuff in French because of the cognitive dissonance about all the place names :D 

• Haha 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

43 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

There's not a lot about Famous Bell as far as I can tell, besides a couple of paragraphs here and there, but it's really making my head hurt to read stuff in French because of the cognitive dissonance about all the place names

I have the same (reversed) problem, switching from US to french release for years.

• Haha 1

I "solved" the problem by switching every place names for Welsh-based ones...

My players are on the brink of nervous breakdown...

Nonetheless I nearly finished my description of the Lysang clan which covers a good part of the Arfritha vale (together with some information also on the Malani to flesh out the tribe the Lysang joined after Kallyr's rebellion). It is quite big, nearly 100.000 words, with three introductory scenarios. But the default time is 1615.

I hope I will have time to translate it in august for the JC.

Edited by Minlister
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Minlister said:

I "solved" the problem by switching every place names for Welsh-based ones...

My players are on the brink of nervous breakdown...

Nonetheless I nearly finished my description of the Lysang clan which covers a good part of the Arfritha vale (together with some information also on the Malani to flesh out the tribe the Lysang joined after Kallyr's rebellion). It is quite big, nearly 100.000 words, with three introductory scenarios. But the default time is 1615.

I hope I will have time to translate it in august for the JC.

You win. But shouldn't that clan name be Llynghang of Arhffritha

"Callyr Starbrow" is a lot more fun of a name in Welsh

• Haha 1

Everything is funnier in Wales, except living there!! When my players had to save the Gwireddamddifadring from the infamous Ynddaiawn who had attacked Lonvaltesrhodd before barricading themselves in the Ogoftumpentfys they had no choice but to run to the Penglagofeyd to call the Gweddwongwynt!

And then they asked to play D&D

Edited by Minlister
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 7/26/2020 at 10:25 AM, Minlister said:

Everything is funnier in Wales, except living there!! When my players had to save the Gwireddamddifadring from the infamous Ynddaiawn who had attacked Lonvaltesrhodd before barricading themselves in the Ogoftumpentfys they had no choice but to run to the Penglagofeyd to call the Gweddwongwynt!

Those aren't real Welsh words.  They have vowels.

16 minutes ago, Revilo Divad Of Dyoll said:

Those aren't real Welsh words.  They have vowels.

w and y are vowels in Welsh, rude, they're just to lazy to write ou out to spell the sound /u/ and y is "uh" except in the final syllable, where it's a vowel we don't have in English

On 7/26/2020 at 10:25 AM, Minlister said:

Did you tell them it'd still be in Welsh

Edited by Qizilbashwoman
  • Haha 1

@Qizilbashwoman

No, but for my other fantasy game, I favor hungarian...

When my players had to save the Azárvákbosszantóköre from the infamous Amélykútlábai who had attacked Lonvaltajándéka before barricading themselves in the szivárványhegyibarlangok they had no choice but to run to the A koponya lája to call the Aszélözvegyei!

Then they asked to play Monopoli

Luckily, I own a nice version in Finnish.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

From my side, I have a Basque langage inspired clan 🙂 .

Ex:
Pentsamendu tximista batean, Sartariteri galdetu zitzaion nor izan zen ilargi hau Balastorren aizkoraren azpian hiltzen zen laurehun urteetan lehena izatearen ohorea!
=>
In a lightning flash of thought, the Sartarite wondered who this Lunar had been who had the honour of being the first in four hundred years to die beneath the Axe of Balastor!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1