A Gen Con special - RuneQuest: The Red Book of Magic

MOB

844404635_ScreenShot2019-07-27at5_27_24am.png.c18143e2b933a5ed68d99b90bee6f612.png

We'll be selling special preview copies of this book at Gen Con at our booth (#829).

Jeff Richard says "The Red Book of Magic has every Rune and spirit magic in the core rules, the Cults Book, Trollpak, and many more. It is a foundational document for me, as it gives me pretty much every Rune and spirit magic spell of any cult of any size in Genertela."

Quantity is limited!

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, galafrone said:

are these spells in the new RQG format or is this a collection of previous (2nd or 3rd edition) sets ?

The RQG format isn't that different from RQ2, so I'm not sure how to answer your question, other than with providing you with a sample or two.

2042174702_ScreenShot2019-07-27at9_20_15AM.png.2cebcd1781e034645f6861eb8783ecae.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

well, that example helps. For first the 2nd edition didnt provided the runic affiliation to the rune/divine spell (the rqg format needs it to cast the spell)

also the range/duration etc.etc of many spells changed from 2nd to rqg (and some effects are changed too)

so if the spells are in the NEW RQG format, i take it's a must

37 minutes ago, galafrone said:

so if the spells are in the NEW RQG format, i take it's a must

I would not be surprised if some of the spells that have not yet been published for RQG retain some of the old language that needs updating. Hopefully the eager eyes of this early edition's purchasers can help round those up...

8 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

I would not be surprised if some of the spells that have not yet been published for RQG retain some of the old language that needs updating. Hopefully the eager eyes of this early edition's purchasers can help round those up...

at least i hope isnt gonna cost a kidney, since probably will be a lot different from the real book

1 minute ago, galafrone said:

at least i hope isnt gonna cost a kidney, since probably will be a lot different from the real book

Oh, yes everybody should be aware that this is a super-fanperson only item. Don't go buying it expecting that it will sit on your shelf or at your table in place of the final item.

• Like 1

The multi-volume Gods of Glorantha will be published in the same manner/format as the full color hardcover RQG core rulebook and the RQ Bestiary were published. This preview edition is just the text of the Gods of Glorantha books. 

Hope that Helps,

Sorry Rick i am confused now. The 2 books gods and goddesses of glorantha isnt so sold at gencon as preview, or i am missing something ?

actually what is the preview-for-superfans that will be sold there ?

1) a 2xbw printed books with the gods/goddesses of glorantha

and 

2) the book of magic 

or just one of the 2 (the second at this point ) ?

thanks for a clarification, because i am in contact with a friend that is going to gen con to get a copy of those books for me, so i have to be precise

thanks and sorry again

tommy

We are going to be selling THREE preview books at Gen Con 2019 at Chaosium's booth 829:

1. The Red Book of Magic
2. Gods of Glorantha Volume I
3. Gods of Glorantha Volume II

The Cults books will be sold as a two book set. No slipcase. 🙂

• Thanks 2

Hope that Helps,

13 hours ago, Ochoa said:

This is just to rub in the fact that the US does not consider me someone deserving of a visa, right?

I'm an American citizen and I'm not sure they'd give me a Visa. Not a good time to be here, they're arresting American citizens in public who are carrying their passports. I'd flee but uh nobody would take me?

• Like 1

On 7/27/2019 at 6:14 PM, Rick Meints said:

We are going to be selling THREE preview books at Gen Con 2019 at Chaosium's booth 829:

1. The Red Book of Magic
2. Gods of Glorantha Volume I
3. Gods of Glorantha Volume II

The Cults books will be sold as a two book set. No slipcase. 🙂

Aaah, Gen Con ... sadly completely wrong continent 😟

So may you consider to do something similar for The Kraken in October?
(Given the books are not yet available in print officially, which I do not expect currently ...)

6 hours ago, Oracle said:

Aaah, Gen Con ... sadly completely wrong continent 😟

So may you consider to do something similar for The Kraken in October?
(Given the books are not yet available in print officially, which I do not expect currently ...)

I could bring some, if any are unsold after Gen Con. The thing is, all the joy in packing an extra bag with 20 kilos of books in it lost all of its appeal long ago.

That may sound uncaring, but I lugged books around like that for almost 20 years worth of conventions overseas. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Hope that Helps,

8 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

That may sound uncaring, but I lugged books around like that for almost 20 years worth of conventions overseas.

Many will lament the retirement of Mr. Suitcase (Monsieur Valise to others) 🙂

8 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

If any are unsold after Gen Con.

Like that's really going to happen!

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Hmmm.

Any chance at just doing a whole new Eurocentric print-run, picking it up locally?

I ask/suggest for the sake of fans Over There, and for Rick's back... GenCon unlikely for me, and The Kraken impossible!

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 7/29/2019 at 7:06 AM, g33k said:

Hmmm.

Any chance at just doing a whole new Eurocentric print-run, picking it up locally?

I ask/suggest for the sake of fans Over There, and for Rick's back... GenCon unlikely for me, and The Kraken impossible!

Hey, not just Eurocentric... many of us in the US simply can't make it either! 

I suggest just putting it on the store and letting us purchase it! 😉

SDLeary

55 minutes ago, SDLeary said:

Hey, not just Eurocentric... many of us in the US simply can't make it either! 

I suggest just putting it on the store and letting us purchase it! 😉

SDLeary

Heh.  In time.

But Chaosium has a long history of Con specials; I don't expect that to stop.   This just looks like an exceptional year, if you're into RQ/G...

Edited by g33k
typo

C'es ne pas un .sig

4 minutes ago, tedopon said:

What's the expectation on publishing date for the Gods books? A year from now?

Rick has already said they aren't going to set that expectation at this time (over on the GaGoG thread):

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 7/29/2019 at 9:06 AM, g33k said:

Hmmm.

Er, are you seriously talking about a print run ... of the preprint version?

Inception GIF - Inception GIFs

Seems like if they were going to make a print run of it...that would be the print version, no?

On 7/28/2019 at 10:45 PM, Rick Meints said:

I could bring some, if any are unsold after Gen Con. The thing is, all the joy in packing an extra bag with 20 kilos of books in it lost all of its appeal long ago.

Here sir, let me help you from the kindness of my heart, and overwhelming generosity: I will give you a fedex code and you can simply send me a book, saving your poor shoulder and luggage the strain.

Because I'm just a great guy, that's why.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, styopa said:

Er, are you seriously talking about a print run ... of the preprint version?

Inception GIF - Inception GIFs

Seems like if they were going to make a print run of it...that would be the print version, no?

Well, even an "inexpensive copyshop" version calls it a "print run" once you get past a few copies...

C'es ne pas un .sig