A Gen Con special - RuneQuest: The Red Book of Magic

MOB

17 minutes ago, styopa said:

I know you weren't entirely serious, but truly: I'd rather they spend that time/$ pushing to get the books out.

But with the GenCon special announced -- and all the work complete on it by then -- the incremental time to submit an identical print-job (to some supplier near The Kraken's lair) would be inconsequential.  I presume their sale-price (at least) makes up for the printing costs, and likely helps defray other 'Con costs, so... no money invested by Chaosium that isn't recovered before they spend on the final.

The good folk organizing The Kraken probably already have the printers lined up, business relationships established, etc.

It's not like it'd materially slow down the actual art-and-layout hardcover retail product.  And (as noted) the Eurofan's have long been shorted vs "GenCon Special" editions (of course, we Murrikan fans have missed all Chaosium's Kraken/Essen/etc goodness, too!).

Edited by g33k
$

C'es ne pas un .sig

12 hours ago, tedopon said:

Those print shop versions are not a money sink for the company, and are inconsequential time sink.

Agree - this isn't a major effort, it earns a quick buck to help with cash-flow, and it gets the text into the hands of the most fervent fans. Win/win. Chaosium's plan here looks completely reasonable.

Edited by Akhôrahil

On 7/29/2019 at 4:45 AM, Rick Meints said:

That may sound uncaring, but I lugged books around like that for almost 20 years worth of conventions overseas. 

But, you did it so well and we are grateful that you did.

Of course, as Head Honcho, you'd have people to do that for you now, wouldn't you? ;)

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

4 hours ago, Dragonsnail said:

The Red Book of Magic is it late, middle or early in the upcoming books queue? I'm easily teased by topics like this.

I'm not sure that it's even on the schedule. Seems to me like it's an internal reference document, since it's just a collation of material from elsewhere. It's a big list of spells. Is that really what we want in an RQG product?

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it's more than that.

Having said that, if I were at GenCon then I would absolutely be going home with one of these in my luggage

Edited by PhilHibbs

1 minute ago, PhilHibbs said:

It's a big list of spells. Is that really what we want in an RQG product?

It might be, but it should be late in the product cycle in that case, as a reference work. 

What it looks like, is an internal work document that makes sure the spells are more or less locked down. 

38 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

I'm not sure that it's even on the schedule. Seems to me like it's an internal reference document, since it's just a collation of material from elsewhere. It's a big list of spells. Is that really what we want in an RQG product?

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it's more than that. 

Having said that, if I were at GenCon then I would absolutely be going home with one of these in my luggage

I did reflect on that, but as it was titled "Preview" I thought there was something more coming. I agree that it might not be a book for store customers, but maybe a PDF only release for fans?

Chaosium has a long history of printing small numbers of unfinished works for conventions. Often than not, they were auctioned to cover travel costs of guests or very limited in number. Greg always would come to UK and German Cons with odd bits of manuscript or editing / review copies of works in progress. Jeff has continued this and it's rare to find him at a convention without a pile of bound papers for some upcoming publication. Over the years there have been loads of them and this one is no different. I've a few of these, I'm sure there are others out there with more and others:

IMG_8458.thumb.jpeg.e21bd2557c97d7d75e56b7609b9c9da1.jpeg

If you attended the cons you had/have a chance to buy them, otherwise you wait (in a few cases above you are still waiting). 

Edited by David Scott
  • Like 3

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, TheHistorian said:

A friend picked up the preview books for me at Gen Con. The Gods books were signed and numbered (edition of 40 apparently), but the Magic book was only signed. Anyone hear how big the print run was for that one?

• Like 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.