Looking for a percentile RPG with a specific mechanic

steamcraft

I am trying to find and RPG that is percentile. I have not had luck finding it, so I thought maybe someone on the d100 games forums might know. 

You assign attributes. Each skill is correlated to some attribute. The attribute rating is the base chance in a skill. You can then add points to skills resulting in your overall chance of success. For example, you might have Dexterity at 15, so everything with DEX is at least 15. Then, you have 20 in Gunnery, giving you a 35% skill in Gunnery. While I am thinking of uses the entire attribute rating as the base, not a certain percent of the attribute rating.

At first, I thought it was WH:40K, but that is not it. Eclipse Phase does have this mechanic. However, character creation is very long with a lot of points to spend. While it may be Eclipse Phase I am thinking of, I feel that what I had in mind.

So, is there another RPG with the mechanic or just EP?

Thanks

There are D100 systems which calculate basic skill chance as multiples of attributes, which then are increased by experience. There is just one value, though.

Does it have to be the straight ability score? A derivative bonus (or malus) is calculated from basic attributes is common to the D100 systems.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

33 minutes ago, steamcraft said:

... Eclipse Phase does have this mechanic. However, character creation is very long with a lot of points to spend. While it may be Eclipse Phase I am thinking of, I feel that what I had in mind...

EP's supplement "Transhuman" adds a "bundled package" mechanism that streamlines a LOT of that long-chargen & vast point-spend.  I think their new 2e makes that style the default.

It still implements the same mechanical effects, but does so more quickly/conveniently.

Any chance you were thinking of Transhuman?

C'es ne pas un .sig

Thanks for the replies.  It does need to be the actual attribute value. 

I read the game around 2011-2012, so not EP 2E.  It might be Transhuman I suppose.  That was 2013 which seems a little late.  I don't have it saved in my usual PDF folder either. 

I was reading many percentile games.  It is possible that in remembering, I am just mixing a few things together.  

Many of the newer D100 games do this, but with 2 Characteristics.So, a skill might have a base of STR + DEX and then be increased by Previous Experience to have a skill.

Legend, Mythras and Revolution do this, I think OpenQuest does, but am not sure.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

3 hours ago, steamcraft said:

I am trying to find and RPG that is percentile. I have not had luck finding it, so I thought maybe someone on the d100 games forums might know. 

You assign attributes. Each skill is correlated to some attribute. The attribute rating is the base chance in a skill. You can then add points to skills resulting in your overall chance of success. For example, you might have Dexterity at 15, so everything with DEX is at least 15. Then, you have 20 in Gunnery, giving you a 35% skill in Gunnery. While I am thinking of uses the entire attribute rating as the base, not a certain percent of the attribute rating.

Year of the Phoenix did that, although I think attributes started a bit higher than 3d6. the Chill RPG did that as well, as did the old Star Frontiers RPG, although both of those use % based attributes.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

1 hour ago, Ian Absentia said:

It's not a perfect fit, but what you're describing sounds more than a bit like Unknown Armies, a D100 derivative that owes considerable inspiration to BRP.

!I!

I second this... sounds a lot like Unknown Armies, specifically pre 3rd edition.

SDLeary

Edited by SDLeary

I took a look at the link.  Thankfully enough, the preview was character creation.  Based on that, it does not look like that mechanics I am after.  It says to assign points to attributes.  Then you get 3 times that many points to allocate to skills underneath that attribute.  It is an interesting mechanic, but not exactly how I described. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2019 at 7:34 PM, Ian Absentia said:

It's not a perfect fit, but what you're describing sounds more than a bit like Unknown Armies, a D100 derivative that owes considerable inspiration to BRP.

!I!

This is what it sounds like to me too. The issue with UA comes in what you are trying to do with it. It is seriously tailored to its genre, and seems that it would take more work to convert to other genres than other d100 systems, though there is a fan based Fantasy conversion floating around the inter webs.

SDLeary

32 minutes ago, SDLeary said:

The issue with UA comes in what you are trying to do with it. It is seriously tailored to its genre, and seems that it would take more work to convert to other genres than other d100 systems... [snip]

Some things were downright genius, and I've ported them almost directly to BRP.  I'm hazy on the Unknown Armies terminology right now, but the use of doubles for a Special Roll was great.  They always represent 10% of your total percentage chance (okay, almost always), and you get to assign "critical" results to each double (e.g., 11 = 1.5x damage, 22 = Target stunned, 33 = Specific hit location, etc.).  Totally intuitive without having to explain the math.  Boom, doubles!

!i!

• Like 2

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

5 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:

Some things were downright genius, and I've ported them almost directly to BRP.  I'm hazy on the Unknown Armies terminology right now, but the use of doubles for a Special Roll was great.  They always represent 10% of your total percentage chance (okay, almost always), and you get to assign "critical" results to each double (e.g., 11 = 1.5x damage, 22 = Target stunned, 33 = Specific hit location, etc.).  Totally intuitive without having to explain the math.  Boom, doubles!

!i!

It's nice and simple, but BRP has 20% specials and 5% criticals so a 'visual' dice method gets more complicated. I came up with this one.

17 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:

!i!

Personnally, I prefer rolls under the 10s of the skill.

It scales with skills above 100, and t's only very slightly more complicated than doubles.

3 hours ago, Mugen said:

Personnally, I prefer rolls under the 10s of the skill.

It scales with skills above 100, and t's only very slightly more complicated than doubles.

You mean like 10, 20, 30, 40 etc?

Harnmaster uses numbers ending in 0 or 5 as the critical/special results. Where or not they are good or bad depends on if the roll is under your skill or over it. But is is simple and duplicates the special success chance from RQ easily without the need to do math or have a table.

But HArnmaster also doesn't use direct opposed rolls.

Edited by Atgxtg

Personal preferences aside, the point being that there are many ways to skin BRP (e.g., not all Chaosium variants on the system allow 100+ skill levels while some do, some use Strike Ranks while others use simpler DEX-based initiative, etc.), and that its derivatives are largely compatible.  We expect that level of interchangeable modularity within the BRP system itself, but it's pretty amazing when you find that compatibility outside the system as well.

And since we're airing personal preferences anyway, I've long found Specials/Impales/Criticals too fiddly outside of RuneQuest and welcomed the Doubles/Specials with open arms for other BRP uses.  Pop out one component, insert another, adjust accordingly.

!i!

• Like 1

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

On a related note, in my own little BRP hack:

The Rule of One.  If the die representing the ones digit comes up a 1, that is a special result.  If the roll succeeded, it is a special success, henceforth known as a critical.  If the roll failed, it is a special failure, henceforth known as a fumble.  A critical is a better result than a success, which is better than a failure, which is better than a fumble, or: CRITICAL > SUCCESS > FAILURE > FUMBLE

6 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

You mean like 10, 20, 30, 40 etc?

Harnmaster uses numbers ending in 0 or 5 as the critical/special results. Where or not they are good or bad depends on if the roll is under your skill or over it. But is is simple and duplicates the special success chance from RQ easily without the need to do math or have a table.

But HArnmaster also doesn't use direct opposed rolls.

I think I was using that system as a base, but changed it to 1 or 2 instead of 0 or 5 so that the 'roll low' concept could be preserved. It's hard to shift to a new dice rolling system if you're used to a different one. And in fact we ended up sticking with the old system because people couldn't adjust their old brains.

2 hours ago, Questbird said:

I think I was using that system as a base, but changed it to 1 or 2 instead of 0 or 5 so that the 'roll low' concept could be preserved. It's hard to shift to a new dice rolling system if you're used to a different one. And in fact we ended up sticking with the old system because people couldn't adjust their old brains.

Yeah. I tired something similar. Ultimately I think you need to ditch the low roll or low high mechanic if you use the ones die for success level. Otherwise you get those cases where somebody wins but would have lost if they had rolled "better: or vice versa. Alternately, you can ditch the ones die and just use a  high roll wins or low roll wins and use the difference between rolls to determine the success level.