Site Introductions

Trifletraxor

Hi all. I found this forum while doing some snooping around on the web for Arduin/Chaosium/Misc. Role Playing info.

I started playing RPGs in 1978 and have played and ran the following:

AD&D 1st Ed.

Arduin/D&D mix

Gamma World 1st Ed.

Call Of Cthulhu 1st & 5th Ed.

Hawkmoon

Stormbringer

Superworld

Boot Hill

Top Secret

I've been running games now with my kids (15 & 13) and they are having a great time. I hope to give them good experiences so they'll go off on their own with this hobby.

I've worked in a comic book store, delivered bread, worked construction, and even ran my own karate school for 7 years. I live in Idaho and work with my horses now (training, cattle drives, etc.)

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say that this looks like a great place to share.

Take care,

JR

Hello all,

my name is Greg Volz and I've played RPG's since about 1981 or so...but suprisingly never played any BRP game...although I've owned RuneQuest Deluxe and ran it once.

I just purchased the new BRP rulebook and am excited to create some monomythesque fantasy worlds and adventures.

Thanks,

Greg Volz

Natural Twenty Gaming

Natural Twenty Gaming

Hello All,

Discovered the BRP forums many moons ago, but only recently signed up when I saw BRP was actually seeing print. I've played too many RPGs to list, but the pertinent are RQI-RQIII, original CoC (still have my boxed set minus the rulebook :eek:), Pendragon and too many homebrews based on BRP. I just acquired the new BRP, Stormbringer (plus many sale supplements) and CoC 6th and look forward to introducing my group to BRP (they're D&D 3rd adherents, mostly out of inertia :ohwell:).

Cheers,

Rhialto

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy all,

I wandered over here from Ole Yoggie. My real name is John, but I generally meandered around the intertubes by the handle of TomBedlam. My favorite game is Call of Cthulhu. My second favorite game is Pendragon in it's earlier incarnation. I've been role playing on and off for the last 20 years. I've been a fan of Chaosium products for much of that time. It gratifying to see BRP come into it's own. I look forward to see it's evolution.

These forums look nice and civilized much like Ole Yoggie. I might sit a spell.

Thanks for the welcome. Sadly, I'm currently without a steady game. The group I usually have a a game is too rock em sock em for me and I"ve finally had enough. I like games that have more role playing and investigation, hence my love of Call of Cthulhu. I may look into some online options. I really prefer to be face to face.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave Mc Neill here. Very happy to see that BRP has arrived while I was in hibernation the last little bit. I was sorry to see Stormbringer go post Elric! but am happy to see a means of continuation that will allow an easier time of running various environments with the same set of rules.

I enjoy both playing and running games as well as simply designing settings for my amusement. If I've run a game or run a system, I also play or have played it at some point in time. Rather than list all the games I've played over the years, I'll just state I've played most everything I've encountered over the years and keep coming back to Chaosium and their system because it satisfies the itch I've got for a good overall system that is flexible enough to do what I want it to do when I want it to do it.

I got into D&D in 1977 (I was 11). It was with the blue book-- the one with the TSR lizard man logo on the cover. My overactive imagination had finally found what it had been longing for all of its young life. I don't think we ever actually played the game correctly but we had a blast making it up as we went along. Around '77 or 78 I attended a small introductory RQ seminar held by Steve Perrin in a public library in or around Palo Alto. RQ seemed so much cooler than Dungeons & Dragons, but my childhood friends remained devoted to the former, all through its various iterations, stopping with the recent release of 4th Edition. Now we're all old with kids, but we still game.

One of my favorite pastimes is the crafting of adventures and campaign settings. I've been published in Dungeon, Pyramid and am currently working on a mini-campaign setting for Necromancer games (for 4th Edition D&D...).

I've been keeping an eye open for generic system to marry--I've been dating GURPS but I must confess a growing attraction to BRP.

I'm glad to have found this site.

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

~Albert Einstein~

let see take all your old gamers and all the game they have played and that me! I keep looking for the perfect rpg, and keep coming back to Coc/brp.

none are as flexible as BRPS<OOPS > WELL that what I AM USE TO CALLING IT! I have run everything from gangsters and druglord in BRP to post apoc fantasy! I have been useing UNisystem witch is really a good game but, some reason it don't click for me as much as BRP, i do not know why?

at gencons Ifrom 2000-2004 I ran allfelsh must be eaten Manison Run- Two or three years ago I used CoC to do my manson run and it ran as well if not it seemed better the perfect intuitive game for beginners.

maybe I well conver witchcraft over to it some day>?

I have been gaming sense oh I think 1982-83 its all kind of fuzzy these days, and ofcourse we kind of made up the rules as we went because we didnt want to read the books! dyslexic gamers oh my!

so it was about 16 that i realized thier was other games ! when I walked into my first FLGS- it was Lonestar comic and games in Dallas Texas! OMG i did not have enough money to buy all the games i wanted!

I uhmm still don't

I have a very tolerent Wife and my kids love gaming with me!

but I MISS PEOPLE MY OWN AGE, kIDS SEEM TO ME THESE DAY TO BE to reactionary and not very proactive!

I remeber when I first played Keep on the boarder line as a fighter, i rob the place blind and then went to the caves of choas, but then agin I was 13 and so was my DM! i HAVE BEEN GM"ING FOR 25 YEARS!

So I live in plano Texas and I am a poet, writer, Artist, Computer graphics wantobe, former online computer informations support tech and a Father of four great kids, 16-14-6-6!

I am former Texas army national Guard for ten years and currently considering returning to full duty- '

I am a smoker and I love Beer and TAQUILA on beaches, I meet my wife at rpg game, so we are a total gaming clan!

well thanks and look forward to meeting each and every one of you!

be well:D

Hello, I have just joined the site. My name is Jason Halton and I live in Chorley, England. I have been playing RPG's since 1979! I still cannot believe that :shocked:. I started out at the age of 11 playing RQ at school during lunch breaks and started running games in about 1981 I think when I ran Golden Heroes and RQ2 for my school friends. I have played and run far too many games to list here! I have played or run games pretty consistently my whole life apart from a 3 year stint in the army. I found this site after a long hiatus between running RQ games, I last ran RQ3 Deluxe (the Avalon Hill one) back in the early 90's and I am very interested in the new Basic Roleplaying Game.

christopherhouse - welcome to the forums! You're a lucky guy to be married to a gamer. If only my Lovely Wife would game with me!

Bane Root - Very glad you've found the forums! The current BRP book is a compilation of all the optional / add-on rules you've ever heard of for the core system. It's a toolkit for building specific games you'd like to run.

I'm enjoying it (and these forums) quite a lot. Welcome, folks - here's to interesting conversations and fun games!

Emerging from my Dark Age...

christopherhouse - welcome to the forums! You're a lucky guy to be married to a gamer. If only my Lovely Wife would game with me!

Bane Root - Very glad you've found the forums! The current BRP book is a compilation of all the optional / add-on rules you've ever heard of for the core system. It's a toolkit for building specific games you'd like to run.

I'm enjoying it (and these forums) quite a lot. Welcome, folks - here's to interesting conversations and fun games!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am really looking forward to getting BRP the only thing stopping me at the moment is a rather large and quite unexpected garage bill! :ohwell: On the positive side of things I am married to a gamer as well. :happy:

Hi all, texaspoet here, I've been gaming since '78, and have played everything major. :P I do a lot of illustration, I make a lot of character sheets and such, and I just posted my in progress EXCEL sheet for BRP. I'm running a fantasy campaign using it atm, and am about to run a "all the power systems" supers game. :P watch out! anyhoo, look forward to contributing widgets and such in the future. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, texaspoet here, I've been gaming since '78, and have played everything major. :P I do a lot of illustration, I make a lot of character sheets and such, and I just posted my in progress EXCEL sheet for BRP. I'm running a fantasy campaign using it atm, and am about to run a "all the power systems" supers game. :P watch out! anyhoo, look forward to contributing widgets and such in the future. :D

Welcome aboard, texaspoet!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello:

My name is George and I'm a freelance RPG writer. I've worked on books for the World of Darkness (new; core), Vampire: The Requiem, Exalted (first edition), as well as some d20 stuff.

Although I've played many the game since my humble gamer beginnings in 1982, my favorite game has always and forever will be Call of Cthulhu, Basic Roleplaying version.

I'm currently working on a setting for the BRP system that I hope to, at some point, publish it as either a monograph or as a licensed release.

My other hobbies include cats, horror film/books/art, rockclimbing, xing yi, meditation, going to Burning Man related events, and laying on the floor listening to old progressive rock albums.

Looking forward to exchanging ideas with you folks!

Be Well,

-George

Hi all. I signed up all of two minutes ago!

Guess i have the standard RPG background ( This of course, remains to be seen!) Started with GW Warhammer FRP, then the Call of Cthulhu, Cyberpunk 2020, InNomine, Champions, Gurps, All Flesh Must be eaten Warhammer 2 ( the green ronin version). Theres probably more, but i cant quite recall!

Anyhow, i got into BRP after being greatly impressed by the ruleset of CoC. Heres hoping we all get on and homebrew some fantastic quality stuff.

"There's only one way to deal with these mi-go, gentlemen... and thats full auto!"

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forums Dr. Bubonicus, Old Man Sweeny & mhensley! Glad to have you here! :)

I'm currently working on a setting for the BRP system that I hope to, at some point, publish it as either a monograph or as a licensed release.

Can you tell us some more about the setting?

:beetle:

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Just joined the forum and thought this would be a good place to start. I've been gaming since I was 8, when my father brought home Panzer Blitz (yep, I'm old). I discovered roleplaying a few years later with D&D (the old bluebox) and in the years since have run games (I rarely had a chance to actually be a player) in various iterations of D&D, CoC, GURPS (supers, japan, post-apoc), Aftermath, Star Frontiers, Boothill, Cyberpunk 2020, Buffy, Traveler (from the old 3 black books up to the New Era stuff), Start Trek (FASA and Last Unicorn) and probably a few others that my ossifying brain has forgotten.

It's been a few years since I've had a chance to do any roleplaying (I've been playing a lot of board and card games as of late), but am getting together a group in the DC area for a mix of Buffy, CoC, M&M and some custom BRP.

What I'm working on right now is a 70s era cinematic CoC campaign, set along Route 66.

I'll start a separate thread for that to get some feedback.

I have posted a few times already but I thought I'd take the time to introduce myself.

I have been gaming for too many years to count (20+), starting with red box D&D, graduating to many other systems mostly with homebrew campaigns. High points of gaming enjoyment have been GW edition CoC (despite the rubish way they - GW - lumped the books into a single volume with 2 or 3 sets of page numbers!), DC Heroes, GURPS, Champions, WHFRP 2nd edition, Golden Heroes (really!), and recently True20 and M&M, and no doubt a few I have forgotten.

When I heard of this generic edition I knew that it was something I wanted to try out, and so I am busy brewing up my next campaign. I think Jason (and Sam) did a great job.

This site is enjoyable for me and informative, all that I can ask for, so thanks to Trifletraxor.

Anyhoo, glad to be aboard and amongst fans of what I think is such a mechanically elegant system. I look forward to seeking out answers to my questions from better informed minds.

Leon.

Edited by leonmallett
gah! spelling!

Very slowly working towards completing my monograph.