Bonded Trickster - how can the bond be broken?

Trotsky

Hi everyone,

In our campaign there is a NPC Trickster who is bonded to the chieftain of a clan. Taking into account YGMV, anyone have thoughts on how a bond can be broken. I assume the death of either the bonded pair breaks the bond, or the bonded trickster is released from his bond. But are there other ways where the bond could be broken - I am looking for interesting ideas for our campaign.

Acquisition of a magic or a protector that grants liberty over anything else. A bit like the Spirit of Liberty that had been imprisoned by Belintar (in itself an impossible feat).

Telling how it is excessive verbis

The bond is a just legal and social construct, isn’t it? The chief says ”hey, this trickster is under my protection, and I will cover the costs”? It can be recalled at any moment (and a sign of a wise chief is one who does so before the sudden but inevitable betrayal).

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 2

The Trickster could be sold to someone else, in effect the Trickster's Bond is transferred to another person.

They could simply "divorce" and have an amicable breaking of the Bond, although that might result in a temporarily unbonded Trickster.

The Trickster could break the Bond, perhaps through a HeroQuest, this need not be with the consent of the person the Trickster is Bonded to, again this results in an unbonded Trickster.

The person Bonded to the Trickster could simply break the Bond, again resulting in an Unbonded Trickster.

Someone else could steal the Trickster away and create a new Bond.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 10/24/2020 at 11:17 AM, Akhôrahil said:

The bond is a just legal and social construct, isn’t it? The chief says ”hey, this trickster is under my protection, and I will cover the costs”? It can be recalled at any moment (and a sign of a wise chief is one who does so before the sudden but inevitable betrayal).

Whilst the Trickster's-Bond is indeed both a legal and social 'contract', it is also much more. It's a Recreation/Reenactment of Myth/Legend, with the same consequences and benefits (to a lesser degree). "Orlanth did this to Eurmal and saved the World, so We may do this too." - kind of thinking. Never forget the power of belief & MGF!

YGWV. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 3:17 AM, Akhôrahil said:

Yeah I agree. But, to add a bit of nuance, the bond is an Orlanthi tradition that dates back to the God Time and, as such, shouldn't be taken lightly. When the bond was created, the Trickster gained a "Loyalty (Protector)" Passion, and the Orlanth cultist swore to take responsibility for the Eurmali (the rules don't mention a Passion for the protect but I would definitely make one). Arguably, the Eurmali can keep the Passion without being necessarily "bonded" to a Protector (there are many people with Loyalties) but I think it would require both parties to agree to break the bond. The Orlanthi wouldn't break the bond unilaterally, especially not after the Eurmali burned down the food supply :) 

So I would make a similar ceremony to the bonding ritual, where both parties formally part ways.

As with many things in a Bronze Age tribal society, there are many ways to bend the rules, but these can also be perceived as dishonourable by other parties and used against the characters.

• Like 2

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

On 10/25/2020 at 1:53 PM, Kloster said:

If Humakt can cut family kinship, I think he can also cut a bond. Ask your local sword of Humakt to cut the bond (without killing anybody, of course).

Might be something the Humakti could guide/accompany the Eurmali to go a-Heroquesting for...

In the normal course of things, I think a "normal" Sword of Humakt can't really cut intangibles.  Just once, for themselves, when the cut themselves off from their kin.

(this idea, though, DOES make me think ... could this Severing be a heroquest?  Should it be (if it isn't already)?  Often, I'd presume, a this-world HQ; but sometimes... not)

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 10/30/2020 at 1:36 AM, Rodney Dangerduck said:

To tell the truth, Humakt didn't kill much of anything important, that was Eurmal and Orlanth (and ZZ and others).  IMO, Humakt is way way overrated in this respect.

The Sword Death was an expression of Humakt. Being a deity means that the entity isn't limited to its human-shaped (or monster-shaped) body.

The Lightbringers may have chosen a Humakt-free route into Death by passing through the Gates of Dusk, but then, it is possible that these gates were opened or re-shaped by the first two major passages after the Sword Death had been released.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dissolv said:

Wouldn't the logical, and also the funnest option, be to require the trickster to trick the chieftain into breaking the bond himself?

That sounds way too vanilla... (ducks)

On 10/24/2020 at 7:20 PM, Trotsky said:

Hi everyone,

In our campaign there is a NPC Trickster who is bonded to the chieftain of a clan. Taking into account YGMV, anyone have thoughts on how a bond can be broken. I assume the death of either the bonded pair breaks the bond, or the bonded trickster is released from his bond. But are there other ways where the bond could be broken - I am looking for interesting ideas for our campaign.

Tricksters act as a useful but somewhat unreliable ally for chieftains.  They bring with them an arsenal of dirty tricks after all.  I would argue that Chiefs cannot reasonably be expected to extend their protection to more than one trickster at a time, and that means that a Chief may eject a weaker trickster for a stronger one if the opportunity presents itself, with all the corollary of trouble that will inevitably bring.  Epic trickster lethal prank battle.

On 11/3/2020 at 2:53 PM, Rodney Dangerduck said:

I believe that giving him a sock breaks the bond.

Actually, if a trickster leaves a crunchy sock under your pillow, it releases YOU from YOUR bond, by symbolically bonding your face to the sock in their place.

On 10/30/2020 at 2:54 PM, g33k said:

In the normal course of things, I think a "normal" Sword of Humakt can't really cut intangibles.  Just once, for themselves, when the cut themselves off from their kin.

Any trickster who wants to steal death also needs to perform the hero quest of accidentally circumcising themselves with it, temporarily cutting themselves off from life and fertility.  It is also the source of the remove body part heroquest.  Trickster has an embarrassing history with magical weapons, as with everything else. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2020 at 8:53 PM, Kloster said:

If Humakt can cut family kinship, I think he can also cut a bond. Ask your local sword of Humakt to cut the bond (without killing anybody, of course).

Yes, but without the caveat at the end. That seems like the perfect Humakti way to end it.