Lunar Spouses

Erol of Backford

So we know Temertain had a Lunar wife, Estal Donge, who cried as his body was cremated in 1625. She cried but must have been tears of joy as she must have cheated on him weekly from what I have read?

Also Bolthor (I think he was a Sartarite who went to Dorastor) was married to Queen Monnie the Shrill. Its seems after his head was split by Hahlgrim she remained, even adorned the castle/palace after Oddi became king? What year did Bolthor die?

I am guessing Blackmoor had a Lunar wife but don't see any specific info. He died in 1625 as well.

Are there other famous Sartarites who were married to Lunars and when did any of these couples get together?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Also Bolthor (I think he was a Sartarite who went to Dorastor) was married to Queen Monnie the Shrill.

Bolthor was a Talastari, not a Sartarite Exile. He was married to Monnie the Shrill, a Lunar priestess. 

What year did Bolthor die?

Probably 1624, or maybe 1625.

• Thanks 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 2/4/2023 at 6:42 PM, Erol of Backford said:

So we know Temertain had a Lunar wife, Estal Donge, who cried as his body was cremated in 1625. She cried but must have been tears of joy as she must have cheated on him weekly from what I have read?

Pretty sure Temertain and Estal Donge were never formally married. And just because she was unfaithful doesn’t mean she had no feelings for him at all; if nothing else, he was the only reason she enjoyed such power and influence, so with him gone she’s in deep trouble.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 3:42 AM, Erol of Backford said:

Also Bolthor (I think he was a Sartarite who went to Dorastor)

I don't believe that at all - he belonged to the Osteri clan of the Bilini and (presumably) had Ironbreaker as an heirloom. (It originally belonged to one of Hahlgrim's ancestors, so there's probably a story about how it ended up there.)

On 2/5/2023 at 3:42 AM, Erol of Backford said:

Its seems after his head was split by Hahlgrim she remained, even adorned the castle/palace after Oddi became king? What year did Bolthor die?

I say very early 1625 (or the Sacred Time between 1624 and 25, or possibly very late 1624). It seems related to people gathering at the Hold for Sacred Time celebrations. The best way to time it is to note that the offensive against Ralzakark is renewed by Oddi in late Sea Season of what must be 1625.

Speaking of queens, I'm a bit unclear on whether (the positively awesome!) Gudmund the Golden stayed in Biliniland after king Hakon was killed, or returned to her clan in Skanthiland.

Edited by Akhôrahil

On 2/5/2023 at 9:39 PM, Erol of Backford said:

Surprised as the Cult Compendium was put out in 2002. The "active game year" has traditionally moved up so I assumed earlier like 1613-5.

Since Dorastor: Land of Doom is placed (as far as the Risklands campaign goes) in (IIRC) 1617, it means that they stepped back from the CoT timeline (Hahlgrim's War takes place in 1623-25, so when the RQG timeline starts, it's just about to end), and the war is in the future (as was almost all the HeroWars stuff at that point).

The upside to this is that if you start in 1617, PCs will be seriously experienced by the time Hahlgrim's War gets going.

And it's much more extreme that you suggest - Cults of Terror was published back in 1981!

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Leingod said:

And just because she was unfaithful doesn’t mean she had no feelings for him at all; if nothing else, he was the only reason she enjoyed such power and influence, so with him gone she’s in deep trouble.

So she's cry from fear of being destitute or worse. Gold digger at best? Just saying a grifter is a grifter. But then again wasn't she like a spy for the Dean of the Lunar School of Magic? She was planted and to have been so someone with more than good looks?

1 hour ago, Akhôrahil said:

Speaking of queens, I'm a bit unclear on whether (the positively awesome!) Gudmund the Golden stayed in Biliniland after king Hakon was killed, or returned to her clan in Skanthiland.

As I was reading it seemed that she stayed but it may have been only a short while but who knows for sure. Its been about 30 years since we gamed anywhere near Dorastor. Most of our PC's could handle it there and the Surgeon-Imperial's Warning was surely headed by most of us.

image.png.cd213418476065ef20e3df6a042c4b30.png

I wonder if Eric N. had a Lunar wife? He hung out in Sylila for a while... I suppose our PC's will not get there before he's gone as it'll take a few years to get even close enough to go to that place.

image.png.4d9b24b7801b6d301ad3766d0d75d562.png

2 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

The upside to this is that if you start in 1617, PCs will be seriously experienced by the time Hahlgrim's War gets going.

They'd have been at it since 1600 so it may be they would be tough enough (if alive) by that time. It may fit well and would likely by then be a nice change of scenery for the PC group... thanks for that.

On 2/5/2023 at 1:42 PM, Erol of Backford said:

Are there other famous Sartarites who were married to Lunars and when did any of these couples get together?

Is there a worse curse to be visited on a clan than a chief with a lunar wife?  I foresee that in far future retellings of the Bad King Brangbane story, he too will develop such an affliction.

Edited by Darius West

Not a Sartarite, but if King Glyptus the Good of Elkoi is any indication, having a Lunar wife is not immediately fatal, or even fatal in the short term. It does appear to be a sign of corruption in court, though...

Edited by AlHazred
  • Helpful 1

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

7 hours ago, AlHazred said:

Not a Sartarite, but if King Glyptus the Good of Elkoi is any indication, having a Lunar wife is not immediately fatal, or even fatal in the short term. It does appear to be a sign of corruption in court, though...

A sign of increasing Lunar power and control, at least. Which can be much the same thing, depending on who exactly is in charge. Heartlanders working in the provinces seem to have a bad track record with this sort of thing, if Sartar and Prax are any way to judge.

22 hours ago, Darius West said:

Is there a worse curse to be visited on a clan than a chief with a lunar wife?  I foresee that in far future retellings of the Bad King Brangbane story, he too will develop such an affliction.

Wasn't it the norm in Tarsh to have Lunar relatives?

10 hours ago, AlHazred said:

It does appear to be a sign of corruption in court, though...

And there is no corruption in Sartar, Prax, Sun Dome, Nochet as is? I don't see Sartarites as honest and noble, they like ambushes, stealing your cows and sheep...

3 hours ago, Darius West said:

Nope, Brangbane.  Urgrain is the Heortling bad king (who frankly wasn't as bad a king as Brangbane).  Brangbane is the Sartarite Dinacoli Bad King who became king of the ghouls because Sartar transformed him.

I’m aware of Brangbane - I was just thinking he’s known for wickedness rather than the foolishness displayed by Bolthor or Temertain.

Edited by Akhôrahil

Brangbane is an adaptation of the Bluebeard legend, so giving him a Lunar wife would make her one of his victims and present Lunars as capable of being victimized. I'm not sure that's the road most players are interested in going down. 

Though a Lunar through and through, she is also a human being.

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

And there is no corruption in Sartar, Prax, Sun Dome, Nochet as is? I don't see Sartarites as honest and noble, they like ambushes, stealing your cows and sheep...

If a Lunar does it, it's corruption; if a Sartarite does it, it's just cleverness or good business sense! I thought that was understood?

• Like 2

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

7 minutes ago, AlHazred said:

If a Lunar does it, it's corruption; if a Sartarite does it, it's just cleverness or good business sense! I thought that was understood?

to be fair to Orlanthis judging people, the Sun Dome is also tainted by the Bright Lord's teachings so they are also corruption

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Eff said:

Brangbane is an adaptation of the Bluebeard legend, so giving him a Lunar wife would make her one of his victims and present Lunars as capable of being victimized. I'm not sure that's the road most players are interested in going down. 

Of course Lunars are capable of being victimized!  Anyone is, really.

But -- in the Lunar case particularly -- they're all being victimized by Sedenya Bat-Bringer, Sedenya Chaos-Spouse, Sedenya the Deceiver.

:20-element-air: 😉 

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/7/2023 at 8:51 PM, Erol of Backford said:

They're honest about stealing your cows and sheep, though.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Strange enough found this when looking at Nysalor stuff in Land of Doom.

image.png.4feb20e74f578c91300c3e68cadfe82c.png image.png.32da0ecf76385d06111c45b0d8a9bcfd.png

The whole Ralzakark thing is a big mystery - Cults of Terror never seems to suggest that it isn't the big R that Oddi slays (and even the Guide doesn't indicate it). I think it makes the most sense if it's actually one of the "masks" of Ralzakark (much like Undranda and Wowander are hinted at having been).

The real mystery is how Ralzakark (at least of a kind) can be the Monster Emperor after Oddi slays him (in 1631) in a way that there really should be no returning from (and LoT even says "final death"). 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/8/2023 at 8:25 PM, Akhôrahil said:

The real mystery is how Ralzakark (at least of a kind) can be the Monster Emperor after Oddi slays him (in 1631) in a way that there really should be no returning from (and LoT even says "final death"). 

Someone who successfully escaped Arkat's Dorastan genocide is probably pretty difficult to kill permanently.

1 hour ago, EricW said:

Someone who successfully escaped Arkat's Dorastan genocide is probably pretty difficult to kill permanently.

Ralzak Ark(at) might be the sum of the pieces of Chaos Arkat (and possibly slain Nysalor) shed when Arkat returned to a human shape. He is a Hero (in the sense of the board game), which means he can use heroic escape, and if he has stolen a page out of Jaldon's play book, he can be summoned again to wreak more havoc.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis