How do I roleplay Argrath?

Scorus

Our group sometimes wonders mildly about Argrath's sexuality.  He is extremely powerful and charismatic.  Many compare him to Jagger or Bowie - a rock star babe magnet.  Yet there is no canonical mention of lots of Argrath bastards children.  Though, no canonical mention of Annstad kids either.  So maybe it's just assumed...

Mainly mentioning this as Annstad knocked up my PC, and surely many others, so seems like Argrath has too?

There is wibbly-wobbly timey-wimeyness involved, I fear: Sun County says Garrath won the Garhound Contest in 1604, when Argrath is canonically eight years old (per word of @Jeff). I suspect we’d treat this as a typo for 1614, nowadays, and might just suggest that to @MOB

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nick Brooke said:

There is wibbly-wobbly timey-wimeyness involved, I fear: Sun County says Garrath won the Garhound Contest in 1604, when Argrath is canonically eight years old (per word of @Jeff). I suspect we’d treat this as a typo for 1614, nowadays, and might just suggest that to @MOB

Or that Argrath killed him and took his identity to hide from the Lunars.  

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

I suspect we’d treat this as a typo for 1614, nowadays, and might just suggest that to @MOB

Yes, obviously typo for 1614. Any future reprinting of Sun County will certainly show that correction.

• Like 2

On 1/1/2024 at 10:07 AM, Stephen L said:

Probably way to late for this old thread, but there's probably some good material to be gleaned from Jeff's White Bull campaign.

Yes, I really liked the way Jeff played the character!

One thing among others that can help with Argrath's roleplay is to tell players about the respect and even devotion that others have for him, especially the people in his surroundings. Describing the humble attitude of a great Praxian Khan towards Argrath is a good way of conveying his charisma.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 9:44 AM, MOB said:

Yes, obviously typo for 1614. Any future reprinting of Sun County will certainly show that correction.

UNICEF state that, while on the decrease, male child marriages occur at one-sixth the rate of female.  There is no implicit reason why Argrath (an exceptional figured in any case) should not have been married at 8. 

3 hours ago, Ali the Helering said:

UNICEF state that, while on the decrease, male child marriages occur at one-sixth the rate of female.  There is no implicit reason why Argrath (an exceptional figured in any case) should not have been married at 8. 

The problem is not the age, but where he lived in 1604. By that time he was still living in the Starfire Ridges in Sartar. 
He had to flee to Prax (and the River of Cradles) after his inititiation, which is clearly later than 1604. 

1 hour ago, AndreJarosch said:

The problem is not the age, but where he lived in 1604. By that time he was still living in the Starfire Ridges in Sartar. 
He had to flee to Prax (and the River of Cradles) after his inititiation, which is clearly later than 1604. 

Aah - thanks and sorry for misundertanding, but.... which of the many Argraths?  That could seriously complicate matters, wouldn't you say?

1 hour ago, AndreJarosch said:

5 hours ago, Ali the Helering said:

An implicit reason here is that to enter for the Garhound Contest contestants must be an initiate of one of Ernalda's Husband Protector deities, and children at eight years old typically are not initiates. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just last night, I ran the sequence from the Coming Storm in which the players meet Argrath, and he conducts a great magic ritual. The overwhelming impression of my group was the was dangerous madman, though a smart and charismatic one. His big speeches in that are all marvellously demented, declaring he is Arkat returned, and telling to become the dragon and then cut off their own head and such things. He is also written with a lot of breathtaking arrogance, which my players picked up on - making a huge show of granting the group hospitality, while he is trespassing on their own clan lands, for example.  I decided the ceremony obviously included a great deal of intoxicants, especially big Praxian hazia spliffs. 

• Like 2

On 1/3/2024 at 9:10 PM, Rodney Dangerduck said:

I agree with everything in your excellent post, other than the above sentence.  I don't think that Illumination has such an effect.  If it does, it's very very indirect.

If illumination breaks the dualities of law/chaos, truth/illusion, life/death, etc., then I think it would.