Coming in March - Cults of RuneQuest: The Lunar Way

MOB

Cults of RuneQuest: Lunar Cults

Happy Holidays, RuneQuest fans!

We believe in the Red Goddess—Mistress of Life and Death.

The Lunar Way is the next book in the acclaimed Cults of RuneQuest series, coming in March 2024.

Already in release:

Cultss of RuneQuest series

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• MOB featured and pinned this topic
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, kalidor said:

We have waited for two years the already "infamous" GM Book wich is teased in every book but never comes. So no surprises here.

Where is the GMs Book /Guide /Whatever 'teased'?

Here in the forums, the GMs Book has been mentioned as an idea for after the Gods of Glorantha series is done. There hasn't been a proposed date, author, or list of content or anything. I have seen no cover, content discussion, or literally anything saying the GM's Guide is upcoming any time soon. 'Back burner' is the closest description I've seen.

Now, the Gods of Glorantha project HAS been held up by that bane of editors everywhere, artwork. Add to that COVID, economic hassles with China, and shipping backlogs. The wait for GoG HAS been significant. And GoG is supposed to be a 10 volume set, which is not yet at the halfway mark [the Lunar Pantheon is Book 5].

Meanwhile, Jonstown Compendium keeps us their stellar work keeping you supplies with adventures, locales,stat blocks, cultural descriptions and other material. Quite frankly, it's one of the most active 'third party fan content' milieux on DriveThru.

And given the GM's Pack content, the Glorantha Bestiary content, and so forth, I'm not really seeing what a GM's Guide could add to the body of material already available. But then, I've been wrong before. There's no doubt a corner or cranny that I have thought of.

Insofar as I can see, we're getting the content that was promised us and since last summer it's been on schedule.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, svensson said:

Where is the GMs Book /Guide /Whatever 'teased'?

Here in the forums, the GMs Book has been mentioned as an idea for after the Gods of Glorantha series is done. There hasn't been a proposed date, author, or list of content or anything. I have seen no cover, content discussion, or literally anything saying the GM's Guide is upcoming any time soon. 'Back burner' is the closest description I've seen.

Now, the Gods of Glorantha project HAS been held up by that bane of editors everywhere, artwork. Add to that COVID, economic hassles with China, and shipping backlogs. The wait for GoG HAS been significant. And GoG is supposed to be a 10 volume set, which is not yet at the halfway mark [the Lunar Pantheon is Book 5].

Meanwhile, Jonstown Compendium keeps us their stellar work keeping you supplies with adventures, locales,stat blocks, cultural descriptions and other material. Quite frankly, it's one of the most active 'third party fan content' milieux on DriveThru.

And given the GM's Pack content, the Glorantha Bestiary content, and so forth, I'm not really seeing what a GM's Guide could add to the body of material already available.

There are references in other books to material that will be in it. Heroquesting and NPC reactions are two that most readily spring to mind. Battle rules too. 

There are all sorts of things they could expand on that world help GMs, especially new ones. 

• Helpful 1

8 hours ago, svensson said:

It’s been stated that non-cult books will eventually be mixed in with the Cults of Glorantha. I don’t know what that means for the GM’s Guide specifically, because we have a Dragon Pass book and/or Campaign book floating out there too. To clarify, I have not seen any announcement on what is next, only that other types of RQ books won’t have to wait for all of the Cult books to be released. I have asked this question myself and I specifically watch for  responses when other people invariably ask the same thing. I think I have seen it asked on Facebook, and I suspect it’s been pruned out of the upcoming publications thread. 

Now if they come behind me and say I’m wrong, I’ll be unhappy and disagree with that decision, but there won’t be anything I can do about it.

As for what the GM’s book can provide, there's heroquesting information. That’s way too big of a topic to fit in any ‘corner or cranny.’ It’s like The Block, if only from the delayed anticipation. Of course, it’s common for Old Heads to post “I don’t see why you even need that but whatever.” Nevertheless, it’s something I’ve wanted to see from Chaosium for multiple decades. Forum post count is not an accurate indicator how how long one was been a RQ/Glorantha fan.

I’ve been assuming that after the Lunar book is released we’ll be given an idea of what is next.

Edited by Wheel Shield
It’s corner not crook. Also adjusted some phrasing strictly for clarity
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, svensson said:

And given the GM's Pack content, the Glorantha Bestiary content, and so forth, I'm not really seeing what a GM's Guide could add to the body of material already available. But then, I've been wrong before. There's no doubt a corner or cranny that I have thought of.

Two years ago, in Weapons & Equipment, it promised that the RuneQuest Gamemaster Sourcebook would provide information on ships, naval combat, owning and maintaining a ship, magical effects of poems and songs, membership of guilds, guild training, creation of magical items and minor enchantments, crystal attunement etc. I think it's a reasonable assumption that it's fairly well progressed.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

1 hour ago, Brian Duguid said:

Two years ago, in Weapons & Equipment, it promised that the RuneQuest Gamemaster Sourcebook would provide information on ships, naval combat, owning and maintaining a ship, magical effects of poems and songs, membership of guilds, guild training, creation of magical items and minor enchantments, crystal attunement etc. I think it's a reasonable assumption that it's fairly well progressed.

That sounds so exciting that it's now a book I can't wait for. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

Hey, 3 months later Australians are still waiting for Alone Against the Static.

After a delayed departure and after finding its way round the Cape, the container ship finally arrived on March 18th. Unfortunately, the actual delivery date has been extended to March 27th due to congestion at the port.

ScreenShot2024-03-27at6_27_16pm.png.f20582a7f644b3e926bfaaabfb5b5784.png

• Like 3
  • Helpful 5
  • Thanks 4

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, David Scott said:

Yes, thank you, but... when?

(for the rest of us, that is... I think C.Con has a few copies available, in a limited-release?)

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

23 minutes ago, g33k said:

Yes, thank you, but... when?

No idea, although I thought people might enjoy the video.

23 minutes ago, g33k said:

(for the rest of us, that is... I think C.Con has a few copies available, in a limited-release?)

Friendface said "Those attending ChaosiumCon next week will be among the first in the world to be able to purchase Cults of RuneQuest: The Lunar Way, and the Pendragon: Core Rulebook! Both titles will be available in limited quantities!" and "Unfortunately there have been massive and unavoidable shipping delays. Not too much longer now, though"

There's always plenty of other things to do while waiting for new product. There's new stuff coming out of the JC almost every hour (it seems like it anyway). Or you could familiarise yourself with the Pendragon starter set and hit the ground running when the new rules appear, or just wait here and ask every so often where's the new stuff, gently weeping. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

7 hours ago, David Scott said:

... or just wait here and ask every so often where's the new stuff, gently weeping. 

Excellent advice, TYVM!

🥺

(Actually, I have more than enough to keep myself occupied!  Chaosium "official" product + "must-have" JC content exceeds my budget for gaming; and my spending is actually exceeding my available reading-time... none of which prevents me from wanting more ... )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

8 hours ago, David Scott said:

There's new stuff coming out of the JC almost every hour (it seems like it anyway).

Don't tempt me. I don't have the drugs required for THAT sort of pace. 😉

Plus it definitely wouldn't have any art, and I know y'all love art. Me too - making pretty things is very rewarding.

• Haha 2

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

(Please spare me any jibes about post length. Just don't read it if it's too long for you.)

There is what Chaosium thinks it does, and there is what actually it does, and it's not always the same thing. I'm not suggesting intentional falsehood, but perhaps a lack of self-awareness. 

Not everyone who asks about a release date expects the same thing from the company. Speaking for myself I do not want to:

• Tell them how to print or ship it. That's not my place and I'm not qualified.
  • Tell them how they should release it (with or without PDFs), or when they should ship it (like when all the warehouses have it).
  • Ask them to give me some weekly livestream to tell me nothing has changed. I read this characterization the other day and I'm just heading it off at the pass. Of course not, that would be a ridiculous waste of time.

I do expect Chaosium to tell me when they expect a book to come out. I'm trying to avoid sarcasm, but that's how I see the majority of business conduct themselves along with most Kickstarters. I understand that is subject to change, and if that's the case, update that information... even to say "It's now TBD because of things outside of our control."

I understand that @Rick Meints has said that is not going to happen. Still, nevertheless I think it would be reasonable to tell customers when a product is not going to be on sale. I'll anticipate a likely reply, "That's what they're already doing, you [possibly insert some insult or cheap shot]."

No. Not really. Chaosium started it's drip marketing for Cult of Glorantha The Lunar Way on or very near to December 24th of last year. Since that date, Chaosium said nothing, nothing at all, except to acknowledge it didn't happen-in the first week of April. There was ample opportunity during the entire month of March to update us. If just to say, "We don't think March is happening, due to circumstances beyond our control." They didn't need to say April, just that it's not March. And if it came on March 30th, no one would be disgruntled if it wasn't April after all. Just communicate with people normally. No weekly update or livestream, just one post from a Chaosium designee. Preferably stickied so people can be referred to it. Then update it again, when there is an actual bona fide change (this is important too). I wouldn't even post a date until it was sent out-of-house. Chaosium doesn't need to incremental updates, just the rough monthly ETA. The Upcoming Publications thread does not serve that purpose.

What would that accomplish? Speaking for myself I wouldn't ask about the book, saving my time and Chaosium's, and I'd have a reason to practice patience, other than being lectured by some forum helper. Something I have been in the past and now regret.

(I know Jeff posted something in a comment to a post on Facebook, but I'm excluding that from being official. Plus his sharing of content previews are thoughtful and appreciated, so I am leaving that and him out of this).

People have their reasons for asking. Like budgetary reasons, should they order a JC POD book this month or next? Or should they not have any expectations and curb their enthusiasm?

When you ignore customers this is a range of possible reactions:

• They ask again. Maybe with the knowledge Chaosium ignored them the first time. (See below)
  • Forum helpers reply on Chaosium's behalf, and they may or may not add misinformation. They may be well-intentioned, but they don't distract from the fact that Chaosium did not answer. Nor did Chaosium verify or correct anything. Chaosium could or already has seen people post wrong information on their forums on their behalf, and chosen to let it go. And it's definitely seen, explanation below.
  • Forum users make up reasons for why something may happen or why it didn't happen, much like ancient cultures attributing natural phenomena to the Gods. Examples: "Maybe The Gloranthan Sourcebook was part of the same print order as The Lunar Way?" or "Since Against the Static arrived in Australia, The Lunar Way arrived with it?" That happens when people can't get any information from a reliable source.

Everytime David Scott vanishes a post, it's a confirmation that Chaosium has read the post and chosen not to respond and/or ignored it. Sometimes that's warranted but inquires about products are not such an occasion. Just update the ETA. If the book has left Chaosium's hands, it's helpful to include that, to stem off further queries. I don't care if Chaosium ever entertains some customer notions about shipping and sales, just tell me it's not coming in March before it's actually April.  That just seems like the civil and businesslike thing to do.

Regarding JTown Compendium: I know there are many high quality works available, some by Chaosium freelancers, and I've bought some stuff and will buy more. It's not a catch-all answer though. If I go into a grocery store to buy some fruit.. say apples and oranges... it's of little help to say to me, "Well buy some pastrami or dijon mustard instead." I personally like pastrami or dijon mustard, but if I want some fruit, that's what I want. Not everyone is desperate to buy anything, this is not the '90's. Sometimes you want something specific and one shouldn't have to justify it to anybody. 

And JC authors and partners don't actually do what Chaosium does. They announce stuff, they respond to questions, they give updates. They're excited to share when they can sell it in print. It's fun to watch. They're very attentive to their customers. That said, with many of them doing some work for Chaosium directly, as well as being long term friends from conventions of just online interactions, I'm not surprised to see them liking or applauding Chaosium's stance on things. It is, however, a different way to engage with customers.

I don't expect this post to change anything. It was just cathartic and self-clarifying. Plus, I like to define myself and/or not be mischaracterized. I tried my best not to make it personal or be overly sarcastic. I ask the same in return.

And I do appreciate The Lunar Way video, sincerely.

• Like 16

17 hours ago, Wheel Shield said:

@Rick Meints.....I don't expect this post to change anything. It was just cathartic and self-clarifying. Plus, I like to define myself and/or not be mischaracterized. I tried my best not to make it personal or be overly sarcastic. I ask the same in return.

I have deleted my reply. Last thing I wanted is escalating things. Happy gaming to everyone.

Edited by smiorgan
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, smiorgan said:

Man, it's a gamebook. It's beautiful, it's artsy, it's a lot of fun, it's for the game we all love and take very seriously, but still ... It is a freaking gamebook we buy with our spare cash! It's not food trucks for refugees!

I'd really suggest you to take it a bit easier, irrespectively of the deficiencies that Chaosium's customer communication might or might not have. 

I wish you the most wondrous adventures in Glorantha. Take care!

I know buddy, it’s just the attitude Chaosium projects, sometimes. 

When I read Rick’s post it bugged the hell out of me. It’s not personal or objectionable on the face of it, but it’s condescending. As if to say, “Since no good deed goes unpunished we’re not going to tell you anything anymore.”

WTF. When did they start?

I appreciate having Runequest in publication and the high quality of the material they’re putting out, but what exactly is the good deed that we’re being so ungrateful for? They announced the book, and after 3+ months of silence, they’re going to punish us with more silence.

So, it’s not really about not having the book in March. It’s the “blame the ungrateful customer” sentiment. 

And the snide “gently weeping” snark doesn’t really help either. There’s no place or any call for that from a company representative. 

They don’t have to tell me a damn thing, but don’t  judge me for being curious.

Edited by Wheel Shield
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, Wheel Shield said:

I don't expect this post to change anything. It was just cathartic and self-clarifying. Plus, I like to define myself and/or not be mischaracterized. I tried my best not to make it personal or be overly sarcastic. I ask the same in return.

It probably won't surprise you to hear that I agree with all of this.   I'm fairly sure that your reference to lecturing people as a forum helper includes lecturing me. 🙂 

I have trouble being as diplomatic and thorough in covering bases as you were here, so I'm glad you said it for me in way that should only rankle particularly sensitive or defensive folks. 

The only other thing I'll say, with sincerity and regret, is that Chaosium's way of doing things has turned me off to the degree that I've deleted most of my bookmarks and try not to think about it or them these days, as it only raises my blood pressure.  I've been a fan of RQ for 35+ years.  I've also been a fan of TTRPGs for that long, and I've never seen a company this (in my opinion) mismanaged.

Edited by Jason Farrell
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, smiorgan said:

Man, it's a gamebook. It's beautiful, it's artsy, it's a lot of fun, it's for the game we all love and take very seriously, but still ... It is a freaking gamebook we buy with our spare cash! It's not food trucks for refugees!

I hate replies like this.  I guarantee that at some point in your life, probably at many points, you've been anxious for/curious or impatient about something that didn't contribute to your survival.  Stop being holier than thou.

Edited by Jason Farrell
  • Like 8

11 hours ago, Wheel Shield said:

And JC authors and partners don't actually do what Chaosium does. They announce stuff, they respond to questions, they give updates. They're excited to share when they can sell it in print. It's fun to watch. They're very attentive to their customers. That said, with many of them doing some work for Chaosium directly, as well as being long term friends from conventions of just online interactions, I'm not surprised to see them liking or applauding Chaosium's stance on things. It is, however, a different way to engage with customers.

I just created an account to let you know that what you're saying is perfectly reasonable and needed saying. The only other businesses I have seen being this miserly about giving updates are some individual creators on Kickstarter, and even they have the good sense to be apologetic about the lack of information on their part.

10 hours ago, smiorgan said:

Get off your high horse, mate. We all have things that we feel excited about and things we look forward to. No one is begging for any freebies here, we are all paying consumers, some of whom have now gotten annoyed with the lack of clarity on Chaosium's end. Things hold more or less significance for people based on where they are in life, or what they're going through. I can see why someone would think that some fans are needlessly escalating things (they're not), doesn't mean you have to shush them unless they are being rude or disrespectful.

• Like 5