Swords of Central Genertela

M Helsdon

On 4/6/2020 at 8:07 PM, M Helsdon said:

Yes, I have seen and used that. However, my reading is that the sorb vision isn't just mounted on the crossbow. Will have to reread.

"Sorb" is a word I had only read once here: http://ruleonemagazine.com/Iss11/LifeSedenya_3.php

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

3 minutes ago, Runeblogger said:

"Sorb" is a word I had only read once here: http://ruleonemagazine.com/Iss11/LifeSedenya_3.php

I believe Greg obtained it from a science fiction or fantasy novel and liked the term.

Here we are: A Voyage to Arcturus is a novel by the Scottish writer David Lindsay, published in 1920.

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Incidentally, Sorbs (aka Wends) are a West-Slavic ethnic group that lives/used to live in the border regions between Germany and Poland. 

No relation, I'd guess. :P

Yes, they are, and they still do (south of Berlin around the Spreewald area) ...

And yes, no relation :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

Wouldn't be visible at the scale these maps are used at? I used the historical maps in the Guide as a... guide.

Hmm, maybe the early ones aren't accurate. 

I have no reason to believe your early maps aren't accurate.  I'm just saying that I had not known this.

8 hours ago, metcalph said:

I have no reason to believe your early maps aren't accurate.  I'm just saying that I had not known this.

Well, I hadn't noticed the difference before drawing these, and it has me mightily bemused. It is a simple thing to alter my maps, but I don't know if I should.

35 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

Well, I hadn't noticed the difference before drawing these, and it has me mightily bemused. It is a simple thing to alter my maps, but I don't know if I should.

It's explainable by the Closing and/or the Great Luathan Quake.  My recommendation is don't change the maps. 

Huh... Soeh, does this mean that the Yggites originate post-2nd Age, or that they used to live on the mainland prior to this? 

Perhaps we should split this question off into a separate thread, since it's not directly on-topic of Western warfare (the yggites are a pretty peripheral group).

5 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Huh... Soeh, does this mean that the Yggites originate post-2nd Age, or that they used to live on the mainland prior to this? 

There is a section in the Introduction to Glorantha (which I didn't write so presumably of Gregly origin) which says something along this line.  It may also explain the myserious Bija that appears in Cults of Terror.

• Like 1

The lakes in Ralios have changed over time - the Sodal Marsh used to be a nice lake (Eilmkae, I suppose - Bakeel Lake still remains as a reminder what once was there), and another lake along the upper Tanier has disappeared since the Dawn. I don't have any map sources for that, though, only the mention in the https://www.glorantha.com/docs/the-enerali-circa-130-st/:

Telling how it is excessive verbis

8 hours ago, dumuzid said:

@M Helsdon Pertaining to your previous book, Armies & Enemies of Dragon Pass, in your coverage of Esrolia how deep did you go on the Kimantorings and the Kingdom of Night?

There's about a thousand words (roughly a page in total split between a section on the Esrolian military, and an entry in the Army Lists) and an illustration (and mini-illustration) about the Kimantorings, in the 'present day'. Nothing about the Kingdom of Night.

As the book in its entirety is 258K words, this is a brief mention...

The sequel supplement is quite short. Only 80K words so far.

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Thanks 1

Reworked.

At the moment I am sketching out a Brithini holari... There are two sketches intend to appear in the current project that will look relatively hi-tech (though still hoping for a Bronze/Iron Age look); the holari will be one of them. I am assuming that Brithini armor will look very distinct. The other hi-tech illustration will hopefully be of a Middle Sea Empire cataphract. I want to illustrate the development of Western heavy cavalry through from the early Men-of-All, though to the MSE, and then show a decline in technology... After the fall of the MSE Seshnela entered a dark age for several centuries.

Am also searching for any Western Script shown in a canonical illustration, but so far am drawing a blank.

The next sketch will of a very early Seshnegi soldier, of the sort who fought the Pendali prior to the Men-of-All cavalry gaining sufficient numbers to be tactically important.

Tawari forum.png

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, M Helsdon said:

Am also searching for any Western Script shown in a canonical illustration, but so far am drawing a blank.

Potential sources include the runic glyphs on the Seshnegi coin on page 12 of the guide, the coded script of the Codex Ivesti on pages 146-149 (based on the script of the voynich manuscript), the cuneiform style writing used by the Pithdaran sorcerer on page 380 of RQG (a black and white version is in the colouring book and can be clearer)

While the coin may be most likely to be accurate, I am taken by the idea of the Western Script being similar to cuneiform, due to the triangular wedge shape. What could be more logical than having your base writing symbol being a Law Rune?

• Like 1