Swords of Central Genertela

M Helsdon

2 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Are there any amongst the wise who can tell me if this is kosher. I had never thought that printing one’s own PDF that is not available by any means otherwise and then custom binding it having it costing more and taking considerable more effort than it would to illegally print and bind it or legally for that matter if using a commercial printer. So is this well within fair practice?

I'm no legal expert, but technically I think it's a breach of copyright. Normally, copyright laws don't allow you to reproduce in any way what you've bought. So if you've bought a book then you're not allowed to scan a copy to PDF. If you've bought a PDF you're not allowed to print it.

Now it's highly unlikely that anyone is going to take legal action against you for printing a copy for personal use. And it's unclear even if they did whether the case would be found to be against you for this sort of "reasonable" use. It's at least courteous to ask the author for permission to do this sort of thing.

• Like 1

Just now, Steve said:

'm no legal expert, but technically I think it's a breach of copyright. Normally, copyright laws don't allow you to reproduce in any way what you've bought. So if you've bought a book then you're not allowed to scan a copy to PDF. If you've bought a PDF you're not allowed to print it.

Now it's highly unlikely that anyone is going to take legal action against you for printing a copy for personal use. And it's unclear even if they did whether the case would be found to be against you for this sort of "reasonable" use. It's at least courteous to ask the author for permission to do this sort of thing.

So dp we delete this? @Trifletraxor

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

6 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

@M Helsdon. seeing as we are squatting and debating on your porch (nice villa, very tastefully decorated and nice art... cheers!) have you an opinion as the author of someone taking the time and effort to create a home built book of your non POD and non printed doc?

Obviously, I would prefer a POD option.

However, if someone has paid for a PDF then how they decide to print it out for a single self-use copy (and when that wears out, another copy) for their own use isn't in my purview, whether on their own printer or as a single copy from a print shop.

If they print multiple copies to give away or sell that effectively denies myself, DriveThruRPG, and Chaosium of royalties, so printing copies to give away is undesirable (unless the people in receipt of a copy buy a copy of the PDF), and selling the PDF or a printed copy in any way or form is theft, as is creating a pirate copy to be downloaded...

Of course, printed and pirated copies aren't going to benefit from updates. I have a new version to go which fixes some typos, some errors and a few formatting issues.

Please note this is purely my opinion, as in no way do I represent Chaosium or DriveThruRPG and my knowledge of copyright laws is slim (but good enough to know that releasing this book unofficially would not be a sensible thing to do - your attention is drawn to the copyright page).

ADDITIONAL:

Have just found the FAQ page of a relation of DriveThruRPG:

https://www.pegasusdigital.de/faq.php?site=&test_epoch=0&language=fr

What can I do with my ebooks?

First, the one thing you should not do is make a copy of the ebook for another person. Contrary to what many file-sharing sites would have us believe, doing that is a copyright violation and more importantly, it seriously erodes the ability of publishers to continue to offer the best products possible. It's not like our publishers are minting millions as it is, so your support against copyright infringement is always appreciated. You may print your ebooks, and copy as many selections to the clipboard as you wish.

Edited by M Helsdon

1 hour ago, M Helsdon said:

I regret that due to a family bereavement this evening, I will not be in a position to post more art or write 'Men of the West'.

There's an awful lot to do, and whilst I have distant relatives in Canada and Australia, I am the last here.

My sympathies! I'm so sorry for your loss.

2 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

I regret that due to a family bereavement this evening, I will not be in a position to post more art or write 'Men of the West'.

There's an awful lot to do, and whilst I have distant relatives in Canada and Australia, I am the last here.

My condolances. Please take your time.

I am so sorry for your loss. 🙁

3 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

My profound condolences.

Do whatever you need to do; remember to include taking care of yourself, too!

C'es ne pas un .sig

14 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

I'm very sorry to hear that, Martin. Please take care of yourself.

17 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

Very sorry for your loss Martin. 🙁 

Thank you. Unfortunately things aren't getting any easier.

1 hour ago, g33k said:

t will take time; and some people we never stop missing.
Wishing you all the best.

As g22k says, Martin, time is all that can heal...

Martin, If I may call you that, have you people you can talk to? If not PM me and will give you my phone number. I can’t promise anything but if there is no one there for you...

peace!

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

As g22k says, Martin, time is all that can heal...

Martin, If I may call you that, have you people you can talk to? If not PM me and will give you my phone number. I can’t promise anything but if there is no one there for you...

Sadly, my experience over just a few days is that it gets worse, not better; whilst this isn't the first close death in my experience, I have never been hit by so many symptoms or so strongly, which I am told are all normal. A neighbour of my mother is being very supportive, in part, perhaps, because I helped her bury a dog she was very fond of.

Thank you for your offer, but I am not in a good place at present. It isn't helped by the time of year, and because the offices and businesses I need to talk to are mostly closed. I have never had to deal with the coroner before.

If you get to that place, if ever (no pressure what so ever, especially since I can not guarantee being of aid), then leave me a PM. Or talk to a good religious leader if you have one, or call a govt agency in your area that deals with grief. After all you have done for this community for sheer fun, I certainly would be willing to thank you in any way I could be of support.

Sadly, my experience over just a few days is that it gets worse, not better; whilst this isn't the first close death in my experience, I have never been hit by so many symptoms or so strongly, which I am told are all normal. A neighbour of my mother is being very supportive, in part, perhaps, because I helped her bury a dog she was very fond of.

Thank you for your offer, but I am not in a good place at present. It isn't helped by the time of year, and because the offices and businesses I need to talk to are mostly closed. I have never had to deal with the coroner before.

I can affirm this experience.

There is a period of shock; not "numbness," IME, but... so many different parts of who-we-are that are intertwined -- in many different ways -- with our dearest.  More and more aspects of the self get exposed to the pain.  We didn't realize how much a particular favorite food of theirs would matter, but there in the bakery... suddenly it's too much.  Or whatever; everyone is different, every relationship between two people is different.

3 years on, and I still feel pangs just driving past a red-headed pedestrian... because my mother-in-law was so fond of redheads, and I'd always point them out as we drove by.

It DOES get better with time, but it's definitely a "spliy" grief-filled journey, with more grief before the less-grief happens.

But the less-grief... it does happen.

C'es ne pas un .sig

@M Helsdon So well deserved!! I am a tenured professional medievalist with interest in military history and I am truly impressed by the quality of your work; it is not only the sheer amount of data from the RW  you processed but the way you managed to blend it into a Gloranthan-flavored new whole. Your initial M should stand for masterpiece!

EDIT : maybe the only thing I am missing is one or two double pages with all the drawings put together: it would be easier to show the right one to the players during play but that is a spoiled brat's wish!!

Edited by Minlister
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

In happier times, this would have made me delighted and astonished, so I will share it here.

And I sure hope in some way that you can feel a little delighted even now!

Cheers!

10 minutes ago, Minlister said:

@M Helsdon So well deserved!! I am a tenured professional medievalist with interest in military history and I am truly impressed by the quality of your work; it is not only the sheer amount of data from the RW  you processed but the way you managed to blend it into a Gloranthan-flavored new whole. Your initial M should stand for masterpiece!

Nice!