RuneQuest Fantasy Earth speculations

Joerg

Two years ago, I overheard and afterwards discussed Mythic Iceland plans in an exchange between Pedro and Jeff at Kraken. From that discussion, I think that a Viking Age Fantasy Earth is definitely in the planning, with places like Vinland (having a permanent colony?) and the riverine route to Miklagard (Byzantium) firmly included in the campaign arc, and possibly also the antics of the Great Fleet which visited places like Britain (to collect the annual Danegeld), Paris, Cologne, the Iberian peninsula, mediterranean France and Italy. Possibly the barbary coast as well. Sailing from Miklagard would open the eastern Mediterranean, the Black Sea and via the Caspian Sea even access to Baghdad, or contact with the Silk Road. Enough scope to explore that era. 1001 Nights Baghdad or Fatimid Spain fall into that period, too, opening Africa and the Indian Ocean. Mesoamerica would have the late Maya culture, and the dawn of the cultures encountered by the conquistadors. IIRC, Ottonic Germany and the conflict with the Magyars was on the table, too.

All of this has been done by other game system families, but other than RQ3 Vikings and optionally Land of Ninja in an earlier period, I know of no D100 products focussing on this time frame.

Bronze Age Greece has been done by TDM, but Bronze Age elsewhere (other than Fertile Crescent) is terra incognita.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Also, is it going to have the Runequest name in it? Fantasy Earth? Mythic Earth?

there are a couple of other d100 products out there that are in other areas and time periods, but pretty much all smaller publisher and lesser known works. 

Not sure about the name, but Joerg's post is broadly what was discussed at EternalCon.  Sounds good to me.

As for other publishers, there's plenty of room for everyone in Fantasy Earth.

• Chaosium has Land of Ninja and Vikings, as well as Mythic Iceland, Blood Tide and a host of things for BRP.
  • Alephtar has Stupor Mundi, Crusdaers of the Baltic Coast, Winds in the Steppe, Celestial Empire, Merrie England (3 versions) and has a Kickstarter planned for Nippon.
  • Mongoose has Deus Vult, Vikings of Legend, Samurai of Legend, Pirates of Legend and Land of Ice and Stone
  • The Design Mechanism has Mythic Rome, Mythic Britain and Mythic Constantinople
  • We have Dark Ages Cthulhu, Cthulhu Invictus and Val du Loupe.
  • Cakebread & Walton have Clockwork and Sorcery, Renaissance and Pirates & dragons
  • Mystical Throne Entertainment have Ultimate Mongol Empire Guide, Ultimate Roman Legions Guide and Ultimate Three Kingdoms Guide

Please forgive me if I have forgotten any, but most are listed in the Alternate Earth Supplements, which I need to update.

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

18 minutes ago, soltakss said:

• The Design Mechanism has Mythic Britain

TDM also has Constantinople, and have announced several more down the pipeline (of which the one I most-eagerly anticipate is a Mythic Mesopotamia; but it is also, so far as I can tell, one of the ones furthest-off down that Mythic Pipeline...  😛  ).

C'es ne pas un .sig

41 minutes ago, g33k said:

TDM also has Constantinople, and have announced several more down the pipeline (of which the one I most-eagerly anticipate is a Mythic Mesopotamia; but it is also, so far as I can tell, one of the ones furthest-off down that Mythic Pipeline...  😛  ).

Thanks, they have Mythic Greece, which is going to be one of my favourites I am sure. Alephtar Games are Kickstarting a Nippon game for Revolution, as well, so there are at least 3 companies producing Alternate/Mythic/Fantasy Earth supplements on an active basis.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

3 minutes ago, soltakss said:

Thanks, they have Mythic Greece, which is going to be one of my favourites I am sure. Alephtar Games are Kickstarting a Nippon game for Revolution, as well, so there are at least 3 companies producing Alternate/Mythic/Fantasy Earth supplements on an active basis.

Is Mythic Greece out yet? I cannot find it on their website. 

21 minutes ago, jongjom said:

Is Mythic Greece out yet? I cannot find it on their website. 

Mythic Greece isn't finished yet.

We currently have Mythics Britain, Rome and Constantinople in print. Mythic Britain has the Logres supplement available for it, focusing on the Saxon lands, and we've just taken delivery of a manuscript for terrific scenario pack for Mythic Britain set in the fenlands.

For 2019, we're hoping to have Mythics Greece and Babylon available. And we're always interested in more historical areas to explore.

• Like 6

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

35 minutes ago, lawrence.whitaker said:

Mythic Greece isn't finished yet.

We currently have Mythics Britain, Rome and Constantinople in print. Mythic Britain has the Logres supplement available for it, focusing on the Saxon lands, and we've just taken delivery of a manuscript for terrific scenario pack for Mythic Britain set in the fenlands.

For 2019, we're hoping to have Mythics Greece and Babylon available. And we're always interested in more historical areas to explore.

Any hints on Mythic Mesopotamia?

Edit: Sigh, ignore me just saw that you said Babylon. 😊 

And scenario pack for Mythic Britain 😃😃😃

Edited by HorusArisen

“Fe Godwn ni eto”

”Yma o hyd”

”Cymru rydd”

I am happy with any Fantasy Earth/Mythic Earth/FantasyEurope setting i can get. No matter which of the D100 systems it is published for. 

We are blessed by the fact that so many different companies publish setting books for their game systems, which are very easy adaptable with little tro no efford. 

Chaosium will do Constantinople in 950 AD.
GREAT!
The Design Mechanisms Constantinople is set in 1450 AD. 

They supplement each other very well, and i don´t see a competition between the differentr game systems as long as they don´t publish the same setting set in the same time period. 

2 hours ago, soltakss said:

Hey Soltakss, please include Mediterráneo Mítico on that list (since you have included supplements in French...).  ^_^

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

And scenario pack for Mythic Britain 😃😃😃

The title is to be decided, but it's a wonderfully evocative mini-campaign located in the fenlands between Elmet and MIerce, where there's a curious assembly of Britons, Saxons, and Roman--Britons all scheming against each other. It has a deeply mystical element that draws heavily on the ancient Saxon and Celtic mythology of that region, and it oozes with atmosphere. It also slots very neatly into any MB campaign, whether Briton or Saxon-focused, and will provide adventures for quite a few sessions. It's also by Mark Shirley, so you know it's going to be good.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

One of the things I always wanted to see is the promise of the campaign glimpsed in RQ3 - a setting in a fantasy earth that goes from Vinland to the Indian Ocean. Where our Icelandic farmers might end up joining the Varangian Guard and fighting in the Levant or where a Persian poet might end up fighting trolls in the icy wastes of Greenland. Where Constantinople and Baghdad are the great metropolises, saints intercede on the battlefield, and old gods survive in their copses and hidden temples. A setting Harald Hardrada, Ibn Battuta, Benjamin of Tudela, or Michael Psellos might recognise. 

And as Creative Director of Chaosium, that's something I am making sure comes to life.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

On 6/5/2018 at 11:04 PM, Jeff said:

One of the things I always wanted to see is the promise of the campaign glimpsed in RQ3

And as Creative Director of Chaosium, that's something I am making sure comes to life.

🙂

Edited by g33k
emoji didn't age well

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 6/5/2018 at 11:01 PM, Runeblogger said:

Hey Soltakss, please include Mediterráneo Mítico on that list (since you have included supplements in French...).  ^_^

Thanks, I didn't know about this. I have added it on my PC and will upload it once I have added the newest TDM supplements.

• Like 1

I have updated the RQish Alternate Earth Supplements Page with Mythic Rome, Mythic Constantinople, Mythic Mediterranean, Mythic Britain:Logres, White Snow, Down Darker Trails, Merrie England:Robyn Hode and Private Eye. We now have links to supplements in English, French, Spanish and German.

If anyone knows of any more Mythic/Alternate/Fantasy/Historical Earth  supplements for RQ/Mythras/Revolution/Legend/BRP/OpenQuest/Renaissance/Other D100 Systems, in any language, then please let me know and I will add them.

Edited by soltakss

• 2 years later...
On 6/6/2018 at 2:04 AM, Jeff said:

One of the things I always wanted to see is the promise of the campaign glimpsed in RQ3 - a setting in a fantasy earth that goes from Vinland to the Indian Ocean. Where our Icelandic farmers might end up joining the Varangian Guard and fighting in the Levant or where a Persian poet might end up fighting trolls in the icy wastes of Greenland. Where Constantinople and Baghdad are the great metropolises, saints intercede on the battlefield, and old gods survive in their copses and hidden temples. A setting Harald Hardrada, Ibn Battuta, Benjamin of Tudela, or Michael Psellos might recognise. 

Is this still in the works or dead? BGB and Runequest Fantasy Earth seems to have been misplace.

• 9 months later...

Just came across this thread and it rekindled my old love for the implied Fantasy Earth setting in RQ3.

Fantasy Europe:
RuneQuest%20-%20Fantasy%20Europe%20-%20Large.jpg

In-game character map of the Western World:

http://i.imgur.com/kNlpYlW.jpg

In-game character map of the Eastern World:

http://i.imgur.com/JNXnggI.jpg

Gamemaster's map of Fantasy Earth:

http://i.imgur.com/EzrHLrb.jpg

As a nerd with an appreciation for ancient history, the idea of melding all of my favorite ancient world bits was intriguing.

Edited by AlHazred
  • Like 4

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

On 2/11/2021 at 7:15 PM, Mikus said:

Is this still in the works or dead? BGB and Runequest Fantasy Earth seems to have been misplace.

BGB is still available in PDF, and IIRC via 1 or 2 Chaosium warehouses in hardcopy.
It *may* become a POD title after it sells out.

I think Jeff's broad "Mythic Earth" / RQFE ambitions are still being worked on, but it's a slow project, as they have to prioritize everything, and the TOP priorities have to go to the best-selling products (i.e. CoC & RQ).

2e of Mythic Iceland is closest to ready (I think) and AFAIK it has been in the same-ish status (ms. in Chaosium hands, doing editing, comissioning some art, etc) for almost a year now.

C'es ne pas un .sig