The beasts are on the loose: the RQG Bestiary is out

MOB

The Beasts are on the Loose! A Myriad of Foes, Rivals and Allies to challenge your RuneQuest Heroes.

The RuneQuest Glorantha Bestiary is out in PDF from Chaosium.com and DTRPG*. Almost 200 creatures native to the world of Glorantha, ranging from weak to apocalyptically powerful, allowing a RuneQuest gamemaster to choose the right creature to suit any encounter or need. Non-human species are detailed for use as player character adventurers, complete with their professions, cults, and magic.

*on purchasing the PDF from Chaosium.com you will receive a coupon for the full cost of the PDF off the price of the hardback version when it is released later this year.

• Like 4

At last a bestiary worthy of Glorantha.

The rich text pulls you in, and the art is consistently excellent. The Dragonewts are a standout piece. The imagery of the Mostali opens up the Gloranthan dwarf idea to me more then anything I’ve seen before. They have recognisable dwarf traits, yet are quite odd and alien. Plenty of character in the drawings too.

This is setting out the Glornathan stall nicely. 

Edited by Paid a bod yn dwp

17 minutes ago, Dragonsnail said:

I saw there was some discussion on art in the G+ group. I just want to add that I am happy with the art. Yes, it might not be as colorful as the rule book. But I would think that for most games, supplementary books sell a lot less than the rule book which affects budgets.

The authors should take that discussion as a positive. People want more pictures, more colour, and more continuity. But that's the trouble when you get people addicted to the crack cocaine of gaming, you just want more! It is a great book even though we're coming off a mega high from the rulebook. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jongjom said:

The authors should take that discussion as a positive. People want more pictures, more colour, and more continuity. But that's the trouble when you get people addicted to the crack cocaine of gaming, you just want more! It is a great book even though we're coming off a mega high from the rulebook. 

People want both stuff like Petersen's Field Guide to the Dreamlands and a solid support of all manner of creatures to populate their Gloranthan games with. The Bestiary is first and foremost a product of the second category. Something like the first might be subject to kickstarting and finding out how much customers are willing to spend on custom art. And on finding artists able and willing to capture the oddness and special stuff of Glorantha.

Books like a field guide may very well be systemless (or multi-system) and contain short narratives of encounters with the creature in question before adding all the various rules bits.

• Like 4

Telling how it is excessive verbis

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

People want both stuff like Petersen's Field Guide to the Dreamlands and a solid support of all manner of creatures to populate their Gloranthan games with. The Bestiary is first and foremost a product of the second category. Something like the first might be subject to kickstarting and finding out how much customers are willing to spend on custom art. And on finding artists able and willing to capture the oddness and special stuff of Glorantha.

Books like a field guide may very well be systemless (or multi-system) and contain short narratives of encounters with the creature in question before adding all the various rules bits.

A Gloranthan Bestiary like "Petersens Fields Guides..." should be coffee table sized, full colour, hardback, with more than one picture for every creature, AND it should be a book that covers creatures from ALL of Glorantha. Two to four pages per creature, depending how many variations and details of it are known. 
I imagine it would be a book the size of the Guide!

I would LOVE to see a book like this, BUT i want to have game relevant books first. This Bestiary Guide would be a nice add on, if we are 20 books or so further in RuneQuests publishing schedule. 

Just my 2 cents... 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Beornvig said:

Hoping to get the print copy of this by the fall, anyone heard any schedules on that?  A good, comprehensive Bestiary is actually going to be pretty useful for me as a GM.

Jason has just recently closed the window on 1st-printing "Tribal Edit" errorchecks.  He will be correcting the galleys (no ETA), otherwise finalizing the print run (no ETA), getting it printed (no ETA), getting it shipped (no ETA), getting it through various Customs / border / Excise / etc (no ETA), and getting it transshipped to their distribution partners (no ETA).  Note the MOST of these steps are mostly or entirely outside Chaosium control ...

You may notice a theme.  Chaosium hasn't announced an ETA.  And frankly, given how many steps remain that can reasonably produce delays outside their control... any date they DID give would be just BEGGING for Murphy to stop in with an enforcement action on His law ...

C'es ne pas un .sig

5 minutes ago, g33k said:

Jason has just recently closed the window on 1st-printing "Tribal Edit" errorchecks.  He will be correcting the galleys (no ETA), otherwise finalizing the print run (no ETA), getting it printed (no ETA), getting it shipped (no ETA), getting it through various Customs / border / Excise / etc (no ETA), and getting it transshipped to their distribution partners (no ETA).  Note the MOST of these steps are mostly or entirely outside Chaosium control ...

You may notice a theme.  Chaosium hasn't announced an ETA.  And frankly, given how many steps remain that can reasonably produce delays outside their control... any date they DID give would be just BEGGING for Murphy to stop in with an enforcement action on His law ...

This!

12 hours ago, g33k said:

It's not black magic to print and ship books, even if logistics require a lot of work. When we get a "has gone to print" from Chaosium we can also estimate a delivery time for shipping over sea. Sure people are eager to get books, but I find that is normal for fans.

Barring a large and unexpected mishap, the rest of the slipcase set (Slipcase, Bestiary and GM Screen Pack) will go to the printers in early August all at the same time. That means the those items and slipcase set will be out some time early in the 4th Quarter, and certainly this year. Final tribal edits are going into the Bestiary, the slipcase itself is a quick bit of work, and much of the GM Screen Pack is done too.

• Like 4

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

27 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

Barring a large and unexpected mishap, the rest of the slipcase set (Slipcase, Bestiary and GM Screen Pack) will go to the printers in early August all at the same time. That means the those items and slipcase set will be out some time early in the 4th Quarter, and certainly this year. Final tribal edits are going into the Bestiary, the slipcase itself is a quick bit of work, and much of the GM Screen Pack is done too.

TYVM, Rick!

May God have mercy upon your souls... and Murphy upon your logistics !!!

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig