Detailed Maps of Sartar

Dan Z

Are there any high detail maps of Sartar available anywhere?  I'm looking for something that might show details down to the tracks and trails, individual steads, minor points of interest etc.   At the very least I'm looking for something that has minor roads and major trails.  Or something along those lines.  

• Like 1

--

Doorkeeper to cats.

Only where local information has been made official - so that you can put in the local detail you need for a scenario.

The Colymar lands and the Red Cow lands are somewhat well mapped. Elsewhere, a lot less so.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Few of Greg’s maps went to that level of detail. Even the colymar ones went only so far, with the occasional extra detail. All of these are what’s currently available.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

7 hours ago, Joerg said:

Only where local information has been made official - so that you can put in the local detail you need for a scenario.

The Colymar lands and the Red Cow lands are somewhat well mapped. Elsewhere, a lot less so.

3 hours ago, David Scott said:

Few of Greg’s maps went to that level of detail. Even the colymar ones went only so far, with the occasional extra detail. All of these are what’s currently available.

Thanks!  I guess I'll need to sharpen my pencil then and start drawing as time allows.  I'll post back here for anyone interested in seeing what I come up with.

16 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Wouldn't there be literal (tens of?) thousands of individual steads?

It was late... I probably should have said notable steads (e.g. Asborn's Stead).

--

Doorkeeper to cats.

To give you an idea of the level of detail of Greg's maps here's a well known section:

1928549179_AppleLane.jpg.4365f6179ed8d35be05b46132e65da49.jpg

If you were lucky enough visit Chaosium, Greg had the full map of Dragon Pass stuck on the wall (does anyone else have photos?). He used tracing paper to make overlays for clan and tribe boundaries or rivers and streams. But the level of detail is quite crude and if you want more, just make it up yourself. Even the map in the GM Screen pack for defending Apple Lane doesn't show the outlying farms.

• Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

On 4/15/2019 at 12:12 AM, Septimus Kendaro said:

Are there any high detail maps of Sartar available anywhere?  I'm looking for something that might show details down to the tracks and trails, individual steads, minor points of interest etc.   At the very least I'm looking for something that has minor roads and major trails.  Or something along those lines.  

Any particular sections of Sartar? I often create these for my local campaigns, such as the attached for a section of Orlmarth clan lands.

Northern Orlmarth Lands.JPG

• Like 7

16 hours ago, David Scott said:

To give you an idea of the level of detail of Greg's maps here's a well known section:

If you were lucky enough visit Chaosium, Greg had the full map of Dragon Pass stuck on the wall (does anyone else have photos?). He used tracing paper to make overlays for clan and tribe boundaries or rivers and streams. But the level of detail is quite crude and if you want more, just make it up yourself. Even the map in the GM Screen pack for defending Apple Lane doesn't show the outlying farms.

Alas, I was not so lucky.  I like the look of that bit of map, has a nice parchement-y feel to it.  But, yes, that's more or less what i'm looking for.  I'm happy to just make up my own, I just thought I'd see if there was anything out there or if I somehow missed or forgotten something in existing material.

21 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Any particular sections of Sartar? I often create these for my local campaigns, such as the attached for a section of Orlmarth clan lands.

Well, the Orlmarth clan lands are one so I appreciate you posting that.  My players have some serious wanderlust.  Well, the ones new to Glorantha especially.  They're fascinated by the strangeness of Glorantha as compared to other fantasy worlds so everytime I mention something they haven't heard of they want to go see it.  So now I have a Storm Bull player fascinated with ducks.  I think it's become DuckQuest for him.  In any event there's been a lot of back and forth between Apple Lane and Clearwine but I suspect they're going to want to go elsewhere soon.

That and I really like maps a lot.  ;-)

• Like 1

--

Doorkeeper to cats.

12 hours ago, Puckohue said:

You mean you have more of this? *drools*

Different views depending on needs and where adventurers are.  This is my detailed view of Oranesstead and surroundings including the sacred grounds where my Orlmarth clan hold their Harvest Games/Festival.  Used this for my transplanted "Harvest Bride" scenario (based on the old RQ3 Sun County one).

OranesLoom-SacredGrounds.JPG

• Like 4

On 4/16/2019 at 2:21 AM, David Scott said:

1928549179_AppleLane.jpg.4365f6179ed8d35be05b46132e65da49.jpg

MOAR hand drawn colored pencil maps! :lol: Old Geeks Rule!

Glorantha Horde: We don't have any detailed maps of Sartar

Mr Glorantha: Here's a detailed map of Sartar

Glorantha Horde: It's not clear enough

• Haha 4

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I have somewhere a photocopy of an inofficial detailed (as in height lines) map of Jonstown and environs, monochrome, which I suspect to be the master for the colored Culbrea map above. While I appreciate the general terrain detail, even in a sandbox setting I reserve the right to edit certain places with additional steads or huts, and declare others to be ruins, as my scenario needs go.

You won't be able to pick out the ruins of Argrath's home stead in Prince of Sartar in any map showing the Orlmarth clan lands (yet). They might be interesting to find (and interview possible ghosts of the Lunar patrolmen slain there, possibly summon and bind them).

Telling how it is excessive verbis

30 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

Does anyone know where Six Stones, "in Lismelder lands near the Colymar border" is, the nearest Humakt temple to Colymar lands (GM Adventures p14)? Inquiring Hu(ey)makti player wants to know!

It's Indrodar's Necklace. :)

(Check p. 55.)

Edit: I assume Phil might know where that is, but in case it's not on any map to hand: check Phil Anderson's map in Tales of the Reaching Moon 19 (pp. 34-35) and Wyrms Footnotes 15 (pp. 16-17). It's on the eastern edge of the Marsh, between Marshedge and Swordvale.

Edited by Quackatoa
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Quackatoa said:

It's Indrodar's Necklace. :)

(Check p. 55.)

Thanks! So, looking at other resources, looks like it's north of Greydog on the way to Runegate, near Sword Vale and Sword River. Makes sense! 3 or 4 days travel from Clearwine, or is that too optimistic?

19 hours ago, Jeff said:

Here's a detail of the Nymie Vale and the Streamvale near Clearwine Fort, which is the stomping grounds for the default campaign location.

Thanks Jeff, that's fantastic.  Looks recent too.

--

Doorkeeper to cats.

44 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

Makes sense! 3 or 4 days travel from Clearwine, or is that too optimistic?

Probably 3 days: 1 day to Quackford, 1 day up to the Greydog Inn (assuming your PC's are ok with staying in Greydog territory and don't get into trouble there), and part of a day to Indrodar's Necklace.  There would also be rough herding trails leading from Old Man Village up and over the Starfire Ridges - though very tough hikes. Or you could go up the Nymie Vale and stop at either Asborn's Stead or Swan (if you got an early start), then to Runegate, and then down.  Avoid the Greydogs that way.

Indrodar's Necklace lies with the domains of the Good Sword clan.

• Thanks 2