What Older Scenarios and Supplements Would You Like To See Reprinted?

seneschal

On 4/26/2019 at 4:29 PM, seneschal said:

What titles from the Cthulhu back catalog that haven’t already been revised or otherwise made available would you like to see in print again?

For me, Before the Fall and Return to Innsmouth.

6 hours ago, TheHistorian said:

I'd rather see new material.

They could reprint them and finally add the (vaporware) sequel Children of the Deep to the lot combining both.

5 hours ago, SilverSeraph said:

There are so many legacy books available in pdf on chaosium.com and dtrpg that will never be officially reprinted.  I don't see why print on demand is not an option for all of them.

As the person currently checking the PDF back catalogue, the answer is straightforward. Most are scans of products from the predigital layout age. They cannot just be printed out as the quality would be very poor. The amount of effort needed is the same as producing the RQ classics. Putting that money into new 7th edition products is IMO is much better.

• Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

The point of the thread isn’t that we don’t want new material.  Chaosium and its licensees are already pumping that out.  But if you’ve got a 40-year back catalog of product (writers, artists, editors already paid for), and presumably it was good stuff (since Call of Cthulhu is an enduring success), why not double-dip, er, I mean maximize your profits by making the best of it available again?  “Cthulhu’s Greatest Hits!”

The Asylum and Other Tales has many good 1-off adventures ( apart from 1 terrible one ) and Terror From The Stars has good adventures as well.

I'd say amalgamate them and 7th ed them and put it out as a new collection of short adventures.

Maybe throw in the adventures remaining from the version 1-6 rulebooks that haven't been put into the new Starter Set as well.

It would make for an eclectic mix of short adventures for a newbie to run after using up Doors to Darkness.

Not every release should be a campaign.

Edited by groovyclam

20 hours ago, seneschal said:

The point of the thread isn’t that we don’t want new material.  Chaosium and its licensees are already pumping that out.  But if you’ve got a 40-year back catalog of product (writers, artists, editors already paid for), and presumably it was good stuff (since Call of Cthulhu is an enduring success), why not double-dip, er, I mean maximize your profits by making the best of it available again?  “Cthulhu’s Greatest Hits!”

The simple answer to this is that they are already doing what you are requesting. Chaosium has released many examples from its current production schedule, and it has and will include old stuff. We just got a new absolutely glorious update of Masks that likely represents tens of thousands of combined hours of work. And the existing production schedule is ambitious. Maybe they haven't chosen the exact modules you would have chosen. But you're not at the helm. There is significant work that goes into revising and reprinting and the human power is limited. I think it is important to empathize with Chaosium staff first and foremost. That doesn't mean we shouldn't make requests, of course.

Edited by klecser

2 hours ago, klecser said:

The simple answer to this is that they are already doing what you are requesting. Chaosium has released many examples from its current production schedule, and it has and will include old stuff. We just got a new absolutely glorious update of Masks that likely represents tens of thousands of combined hours of work. And the existing production schedule is ambitious. Maybe they haven't chosen the exact modules you would have chosen. But you're not at the helm. There is significant work that goes into revising and reprinting and the human power is limited. I think it is important to empathize with Chaosium staff first and foremost. That doesn't mean we shouldn't make requests, of course.

I think you might have missed this post from Rick in your other thread - 

Edited by Steve
  • Like 1

I saw it. My comment is not that people shouldn't make requests. My comment is directly in reaction to seneschal's implication that Chaosium isn't doing everything they can to reprint old material. I'm pointing out that they are doing quite a bit. Seneschal seems dissatisfied. Whether with the line up or the speed. And they are entitled to their opinion. But I don't think the facts support the suggestion that Chaosium isn't doing enough. Human hours are limited.

Edited by klecser

1 hour ago, lordabdul said:

I'd love to see an expanded/revised/updated version of Shadows of Yog-Sothoth, with the same kind of content upgrade that Masks just had.

Same. More so than the others. As much as I would love to see the deluxe treatment for Fungi from Yuggoth, I'm already running it with the deluxe prop set already available from HPLHS. I've similarly already run BtMoM (but that one could certainly benefit from the German re-write).

Tatters of the King might also be a good reprint, especially since a lot of prop-making houses seem interested in making King in Yellow props.

Yeah, I mean there's a whole bunch of past campaigns that may or may not be available anymore (can't say... I'm lucky enough to have some old French editions of most of them), and that might benefit from some new editions, but of all of them, I think only SoYS has that special mix of nostalgia, historical relevance, and awesome bits that make it rival Masks (it's actually a proto-Masks in many ways). As such, I'm sure it could make a very successful Kickstarter.

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

8 hours ago, Bud's RPG review said:

My only real "please do this" would be to make sure the slipcase Btmom set had the sew on expedition patch (or maybe six for your party).

I seriously doubt the slipcase set for BtMoM will have sew on patches with it. If patches are done, which is very possible, they would be sold separately.

• Like 4

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.