Enter a Podcast of Wonder

Bill the barbarian

1 hour ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Oh, you don’t know what manner of beast you are poking with a sharp stick...

As long as he doesn't bring a lariat... won't work on this beast.

Seriously, there are quite a few notes that I didn't have time to touch onto in the podcast, that may form the kernel of some extra content.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

3 hours ago, soltakss said:

Listened to it on Podbean and it worked really well. Enjoyed it, although I got a bit lost in the middle.

Help us out here, good sir, what part was it that caused confusion. Hell, we are always confused, so we would never have noticed!

ETA Oh and I was also wondering what is Podbean?

thanks

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

There were a couple areas I was slightly confused on as well, once you started talking about the in game scenario and expanding upon it, but I'm pretty sure this just has to do with my general ignorance of Glorathan lore.

-Voice of the Legion

24 minutes ago, Dethstrok9 said:

There were a couple areas I was slightly confused on as well, once you started talking about the in game scenario and expanding upon it, but I'm pretty sure this just has to do with my general ignorance of Glorathan lore.

We did go a little deep there, but mention the specifics and if we can un-confuse ourselves, we can attempt an answer. And we will hide any spoilers nicely tucked away under spoiler tags.

Cheers 

46 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Oh and I was also wondering what is Podbean?

It's both an app (iOS and android) to play podcasts, and some kind of portal/directory for finding podcasts and making your own podcast. We're over there on their directory.

• Thanks 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

7 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

It's both an app (iOS and android) to play podcasts, and some kind of portal/directory for finding podcasts and making your own podcast. We're over there on their directory.

Any advantages to this one over any of the others, Hell, lordabdul, you might be the right person to ask, any comments on all of them, Best to worse?

Edited by Bill the barbarian

7 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Any advantages to this one over any of the others

Hard to say -- it's like comparing Gmail vs Yahoo Mail vs Hotmail (or whatever Microsoft is calling it these days). They all do the same thing, and it comes down to which details you care about, personal taste, and how they integrate with this or that ecosystem.

Edited by lordabdul
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

9 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Help us out here, good sir, what part was it that caused confusion.

The start of the Marketplace was confusing, but I got the drift eventually.

9 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

ETA Oh and I was also wondering what is Podbean?

Downloaded it yesterday, it's an App for listening to Podcasts. I listened on the website but my phone kept going to sleep. When I used Podbean, my phone stayed awake, so no interruptions. You recommend it on the wind Words website.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

14 hours ago, soltakss said:

The start of the Marketplace was confusing, but I got the drift eventually.

Did we (or, as I was going first, I) fumble our (my) presentation?

I'll try to expand and clarify my idea about these old Pavisite families, their interest in artifacts from their zebra and pure horse ancestry and possible rites from the Second Age on the blog of windwords.fm as a cameo.

In any case, thanks for the feedback.

29 minutes ago, klecser said:

I'm really enjoying listening to Wind Words Ep. 2 today. I could listen to you guys muse all day long!

Thanks! For the time being, you'll have to use episodes one and two on repeat to reach 24 hours, but we are working on our next installment.

Everybody - we have a segment at the end of our podcasts where we read emails or other forms of messages that we received as letters. Those could be yours.

You can use this thread (or elsewhere on this forum, or an email to tribe@windwords.fm ) to drop us a message. We won't use anything from this thread without your explicit agreement. So if you don't mind being mentioned in the podcast, let us know.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Joerg said:

Did we (or, as I was going first, I) fumble our (my) presentation?

It seemed like we were in the market listening to rumors, and then suddenly into commentary about the place, but it wasn't clear why or what you were trying to do at that point.

Eventually I think we all figured it out, but perhaps more lead-in about what you wanted to do in that section?

3 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Eventually I think we all figured it out, but perhaps more lead-in about what you wanted to do in that section?

Thanks jajagappa, we’ll get if figured out soon enough, but definitely sooner with assistance like that to let us know what we are doing wrong.

Merci Beaucoup!

Hi Windwords Lords! I finally found the time to relax and listen to the second episode which I enjoyed even more than the first; the Pavis market was especially interesting as a ready-made scenario was weaved in direct with so many fascinating, and more to the point specifically Pavisite, threads. That's the whole point of playing in Glorantha, taking any classic story (an artefact discovered, various factions running after it, the players in the middle in the fray) and then pouring it into the specific mould of Glorantha history and myths! Great job! 

As for the discussion on Chaos and Disorder, in a recent game, an elder explained to the young character (and players new to Glorantha) the difference between Chaos and Disorder using small blocks of salt. He built a structure with the blocks and then toppled it. The pointed out to the characters that they still have the basic blocks intact and could rebuild something from them: that is Disorder. Then he built the same structure again and poured water over it. The salt blocks dissolved and there was nothing more to build from them. That is Chaos. 

Side question to all of you: do you think any Old Pavisite family could have ancient, and now hidden well-hidden, connections to the Cannibal Cult or are these cultists only found in the wild?

EDIT: God, I forgot to THANK YOU!!

Edited by Minlister
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Minlister said:

Side question to all of you: do you think any Old Pavisite family could have ancient, and now hidden well-hidden, connections to the Cannibal Cult or are these cultists only found in the wild?

I think the Cannibal Cult are, essentially, "perverted" Praxians, adhering to a variation of the Survival Covenant that is anathema to the rest.  That wouldn't be Old Pavis!

On the other hand, YGWV and also

IIRC there /IS/ a hidden enclave of Ogres (man-eaters) in the Rubble, so a secret link to an Old Pavis family seems entirely possible. 

C'es ne pas un .sig

@g33k I see your point but there settled Praxians living in Pavis isn't it? Not all the population came from outside of Prax. So why not members of the CC?

and (sorry I don't know how to hide content) CC is not Chaotic so I am not sure you suggestion will work although it is very interesting as a self-standing scenario hook. There is on this theme an interesting scenario in the very original (but very poorly edited) Red Sun Rising by Newt Newport. 

8 minutes ago, Minlister said:

and (sorry I don't know how to hide content) CC is not Chaotic so I am not sure you suggestion will work although it is very interesting as a self-standing scenario hook. There is on this theme an interesting scenario in the very original (but very poorly edited) Red Sun Rising by Newt Newport. 

Not to worry, as we sit before our screens,  somewhere in a ruined building hidden in the Rubble and bent over a bronze-age laptop crouches an impossibly tall figure.. In the gathering gloom as Yelm slowly sinks to the lands of dusk for his eastward journey through hell huddles Jörg bashing away at ancient keys—crafting a wall of text to slam into that little problem on yers, Minlister. I am sure he will have a whole herd of things to say about the Cannibal Cult!. 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Minlister said:

... (sorry I don't know how to hide content) ...

This act of Rune Magic can be found over here:   https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/9784-forum-tricks-its-magic-innit/

As to the rest... p'raps we should launch a new thread, so's not to derail this one further?

Your topic is admirable, sir, and I'd hate to see it cut short!

• Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

13 minutes ago, g33k said:

Your topic is admirable, sir, and I'd hate to see it cut short!

For the moment the topic is not only admirable but is certainly welcome here as it is a question about a topic from out of our podcast. Feel welcome @g33k and @Minlister, thank you for checking to see if you were guilty of thread drift (you are not), and for using spoilers. As I said, I expect Jörg to not only concur with what i said but to weigh in as well.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jajagappa said:

It seemed like we were in the market listening to rumors, and then suddenly into commentary about the place, but it wasn't clear why or what you were trying to do at that point.

Yes, that's what I thought. 

I still enjoyed it and it gives me something to listen to when stuck in my room, working at my PC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

This is starting to feel a bit like the"buy in your scenario feature" mechanism in FATE... I'll see whether I can manage to integrate the Cannibal Cult. Any other things I should weave into this?

I'm still trying to make this usable both under Lunar and under Argrath's sovereignty.

But keep in mind that the Old Pavisites had to eat whatever there was to be eaten during the Troll Occupation. While I don't think that they did outright cannibalism - some may have, as many Heortling ancestors may have during the Greater Darkness, and a few possibly even during the Windstop - I can see some desperate families harvesting bluebottle maggots from their dead. I wonder whether some of those posh old Pavisites (those with zebra fur on the trims of their robes) serve at family festivals or ancestral rites.

"Grandma has that killer curry recipe - rubble runner in fermented beetle sauce." (And that's one of the harmless dishes.)

Granted, it has been more than 85 years since the troll seal of the Rubble was broken by the Dragonewts Dream event, but some customs take more than three or four generations to disappear, and some never do.

But keep in mind that the Old Pavisites had to eat whatever there was to be eaten during the Troll Occupation.

IIRC, the Cannibal Cult has been introduced in Prax by the trolls (TotRM 9, p. 33). As a matter of fact, this cult mainly seems to inspired by the buddhist "hungry spirits", what the Japanese call gaki, so its members are not straight-forward cannibals.

Edited by Minlister
Adding the exact reference
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, g33k said:

I think the Cannibal Cult are, essentially, "perverted" Praxians, adhering to a variation of the Survival Covenant that is anathema to the rest.  That wouldn't be Old Pavis!

Old Pavis has quite a lot of influences that may not have been that evident - in People of Pavis (the 1997 freeform at Tentacles convention) I have seen Fleeter Nemm played as if he was a Sartarite, much to the chagrin of my Cyrilius Harmonius. Those were some heated sessions among the daughters (and son) of Pavis.

Without consulting any sources, I would think that the city under the Arrowsmith Dynasty had a significant portion of Heortling ancestry from Orlanthland/the EWF (and likely not the most fanatic dragonfriends), possibly 35-50% of the population, with Zebra Folk (former Pure Horse folk) contributing 20-35%, Zola Fel River Folk, Oasis Folk, un-converted Pure Horse Folk and "God Learners" (people from anywhere in the Middle Sea Empire) being sizable minorities, and even back then Praxians who had become rootless, or who were part of the slave population that the Zebra Folk (as descendants of the Pure Horse People) would definitely have kept, and many of the Heortlings, too. Then there would have been Sairdite Sun Domers, and of course the Elder Races.

I'll have a closer look at the historical maps of the Rubble in Pavis GTA to see whether there are any indications of other significant presences. There will have been some mixing of backgrounds as well as certain groups maintaining an ethnic purity. I'll try to detail a few of these as different motivations for the interested parties and rivalries, and the kind of heroquest they would like to derive from the hints in the Rubble.

Praxians inside the city would have been the equivalent of Lunar collaborators in occupied Sartar to their fellow people of the Covenant. Still, Praxians and Pure Horse Folk fought side by side against Gerak Kag's troll invasion, failing to prevent the troll occupation. Neither side did that for the benefit of the surviving clan centers inside the Rubble. The period of the Seventeen Foes of Waha will have seen some exchange of enslaved captives, too, and possibly ensuing mixture of bloodlines. So while there won't have been any Eirithan beasts in the city of Old Pavis other than for the barbecue or stew pot, there is a possibility for Praxians unaffiliated with such beasts to have shared the walls, or some ancestry with the old families.

• Like 1