Succubae in RQG

soltakss

I can't find stats for a Succubus in the Bestiary, but want to include them in Secrets of Dorastor, as they really mess with Adventurers.

Should I use the stats from RQ2/RQ3, adapted for RQG?

Does anyone have any ideas how they would differ in RQG? Apart from having Passions, that is.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I would stat out a few individuals using the RQ3 stats. Any differences from a future product detailing them can be down to individual peculiarities, the influence of Dorastan Chaos, or just lack of better info.

I would think that Seseine still is the Chaos deity of seduction, and that Succubi would be her servants, but some might be more of a vampiric origin.

Then there is the Lamia(e) in the Zola Fel valley, IIRC.

• Like 2

Telling how it is excessive verbis

19 minutes ago, Joerg said:

I would stat out a few individuals using the RQ3 stats. Any differences from a future product detailing them can be down to individual peculiarities, the influence of Dorastan Chaos, or just lack of better info.

That could work, thanks.

I would think that Seseine still is the Chaos deity of seduction, and that Succubi would be her servants, but some might be more of a vampiric origin.

Yes, I have mentioned her, there are a lot of Succubae in my Dorastor. Every one has a story that ends up with "and I am all alone", so that foolish Adventurers will offer to help them.

Thanks, I have those as well. 

Edited by soltakss

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

15 hours ago, Joerg said:

Sounds like a working solution.

On 4/5/2020 at 10:14 AM, Sir_Godspeed said:

Wasn't there a thread about this some time ago? I think someone mentioned Fonrit in particular in the context of such beings.

Yes, succubi are far more common in Pamaltela, and Fonrit in particular. They are common in Pamaltela generally because they are corrupted love nymphs (which are also common in Pamaltela, probably because Pamalt is still alive, notably also required for the life cycle of Red Elves) and probably (as with most of the Bad Things in Pamaltela) ultimately due to the Vadeli. I think the Vadeli deliberately would perform rituals of a sexually perverse and taboo nature to create succubi, that they could then use as spies and sources of discord in their battles with the Artmali and Doraddi - probably they even ultimately created the Seseine cult. Thats the ancient mythical reason, but their prevalence in the modern era is largely because of the Seseine cult (not just among the mortal population, but because the Seseine cult is maintained and spread by the succubi themselves). 

A think a lot of Pamaltela stories about Chaos etc result from ogres that are the children of succubi (as at Black Rock) - things like people who pursue forbidden love (of various kinds) or illicit power finding themselves having children with succubi/incubi who grow up to be wicked villains of various kinds. This happens comparatively less than the Genertelan pattern of ogres being ancient lineages of cannibal families. They tend to be more powerful individually, often great warriors and shamans.

In Fonrit of course the Seseine cult is well established. Besides those who worship it purely out of perverse desire, it is also popular with the masarins who see it as a potent source of tools for manipulation and seduction of their rivals and their people. 

• Like 1

Succubi are associated with Seseine in the same way that dryads are associated with Aldrya. I left them out of the Bestiary because it would have been a lot of incomplete text about an entity rarely encountered in the core areas. I'd rather wait for an opportunity to present Seseine and succubi together.

• Like 9

On 4/4/2020 at 11:12 PM, soltakss said:

I can't find stats for a Succubus in the Bestiary, but want to include them in Secrets of Dorastor, as they really mess with Adventurers.

Should I use the stats from RQ2/RQ3, adapted for RQG?

Does anyone have any ideas how they would differ in RQG? Apart from having Passions, that is.

Since they're often said to be a chaotic parallel to the nymphs incarnations of fertility. I'd be tempted to handle succuboxen by starting with the Nymph statistics in the bestiary, swap their elemental rune for the Chaos Rune and add some Chaos Features.

Their nightly assaults could be a form of spirit combat, taking place when discorporate, and since many of their children are incomplete creatures (such as vampires), they can command them like a dryad commands animals.

Of course, most horrifyingly, if they don't have some way to detect Chaos, it would be easily to mistake the succubus for a regular nymph, and some may worship her without realising, especially if she possesses rune spells like Bless Pregnancy and Reproduce. By the time they realise those spells carry the taint of Chaos, it might be too late, and they'd be happy to accept other, more obvious Chaotic "blessings."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Hmmm... Would that allow them to choose a specific Chaotic Feature???

I do not believe that Seseine provides Reproduce or even Bless Pregnancy. Her magic is more along the lines of Charisma, Desire (like Command Human but done through lust), Erotocomotose Lucidity, and La Petite Mort (a variant of Erotocomotose Lucidity that allows an initiate to both exhaust the victim and drain magic points from them).

• Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 1:20 PM, Nick Brooke said:

Yeah, if you spell "Succubi" the normal way they aren't hard to find.

Not according to Microsoft Word spellchecker.

3 hours ago, soltakss said:

Not according to Microsoft Word spellchecker.

Google: "Succubi" gets 26.6 million hits, "Succubae" gets 60,000.

Vox intertubes, vox dei?

13 minutes ago, Brootse said:

Cut'n'paste

Yes, but if you're searching for something, it makes sense to use the word with 400x as many hits rather than the "joke" version; no?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have two misspellings of Succubi in Lords of Terror and one in KoS.

We have dozens of correct spellings in the GtG, Griffin Mountain, Dorastor, Shadows on the Borderlands, WF15, etc.

I'd always go with the Guide.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

3 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

Yes, but if you're searching for something, it makes sense to use the word with 400x as many hits rather than the "joke" version; no?

True, except that the term is itself a bad pun, based around the word incubus.  Succubus was a contemporary word for a prostitute, and it is simply a play on words.:blink:

5 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

Oh, I didn't search for anything.

I came straight here for official stats.

I've got stats from various earlier versions that i could use, but wondered if anyone could help.

I was responding to this, not to your root post: I thought it was clear in context. You seemed to have some difficulty finding old threads, and were using an idiosyncratic spelling. My bad.

On 4/5/2020 at 3:14 AM, Sir_Godspeed said:

Wasn't there a thread about this some time ago? I think someone mentioned Fonrit in particular in the context of such beings.

Cheers, Nick

18 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

Sorry people. Succubae is not the "joke" version. The Latin language thinks otherwise.  Succuba (pl. succubae) means female lover, or rather more explicitly "woman you have sex with".  It comes from the latin verb "cubare" (to lie in bed) and "sub" (under). So, succuba is the woman who lies under you. 

In the Middle Ages we find the masculine form "succubus" even if the demon had female features. I do not know why. Perhaps because diabolus and daemon are masculine words, or in order to emphasize that the demon was not a real woman, but just a ploy to steal semen. Or to allude to male homosexuality. Or all these things together.

So both succubus/ succubi and succuba/ succubae are legit Latin words, with succuba probably being the older form.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, smiorgan said:

Sorry people. Succubae is not the "joke" version ... Both succubus/ succubi and succuba/ succubae are legit Latin words, with succuba probably being the older form.

I didn’t realise you were only looking for resources in Latin. ( There’s 400x as many in English)