Playing Lunar Witchcraft?

yamsur

Red lights and mists, curves and crescents, silver shines and glimmers, symmetry or balance, turnings, mystical third eyes, inhuman beauty and/or inhuman uglyness. Go weird, wild, and red. Maybe blue if you're using blue moon assassins. Some devil features like horns or fangs if you're leaning into the chaotic aspects.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Richard S. said:

Red lights and mists, curves and crescents, silver shines and glimmers, symmetry or balance, turnings, mystical third eyes, inhuman beauty and/or inhuman uglyness.

To those thoughts, picture a carnival's House of Mirrors.  It stretches, widens, shifts, distorts, balances, etc. All of that can readily be part of the visual effects, too.

And add in psychedelic, hallucinatory, and kaleidoscopic effects - colors shift, change, or turn opposite. Things slide, enlarge, diminish, twist, turn, etc.  

Edited by jajagappa
  • Thanks 2

Half light / half dark. Half alive / half dead. Cycling between extremes. Levitating into the air and serenely rotating. Kinda disturbing to look at for too long. Shifting lights and veils. "The Colour Out Of Space." Discordant, jangling, something new and yet hauntingly familiar. Petrichor for the soul. Opiate for the masses.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Red Revolution. Les Miserables. "Do You Hear The People Sing?" 

Red! the blood of angry men!
Black! the dark of ages past!
Red! the world about to dawn!
Black! the night that ends at last!

Cyclical revolution. Irrippi Ontor's crystal spheres, rotating through cycle and epicycle as the yellow light shines through the prism - just so! - and refracts out split into rays of red, white, blue and black.

Or sod it all, just put on Dark Side of the Moon and let your mind wander. It's what I always do.

Edited by Nick Brooke
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Scientific sorcery. Experimental atrocities. I've attached my old notes about GMing the Lunar Magicians in Tarsh War - their suggestions give regular soldiers the creeps.

Or read The Duel at Dangerford for a grotesque septimation ritual. Especially that footnote. Oh, boy, I enjoyed writing that...

Referee's Notes - Lunar Magicians.docx

Passion! Coming in throbbing, pulsing, tidal surges. The red* mist rises, fogging the brain. (* Or blue; or black). The blood is the life. Circulation is cyclical; between each heartbeat is a dead, quiet pause. Life finds a way. You cannot kill that which does not live. She's skittering outside Time, peering in through the cracks, wanting to break through. 

Spiderweb fracture patterns in shattered crystal balls. The face on the Red Moon looks like a skull seen from the right (wrong) angle. As a matter of fact it's all dark.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

Or sod it all, just put on Dark Side of the Moon and let your mind wander. It's what I always do.

Yes, was going to note that one!  "and if your head explodes..." you'll know you've been hit by Lunar magic.

Also the Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds sequence in the Beatles' Yellow Submarine movie.  Nothing like the "girl with kaleidoscope eyes" to give you that Lunar effect.

• Like 2

The Red School of Masks.

Camilla: "You, sir, should unmask."
Stranger: "Indeed?"
Cassilda: "Indeed it's time. We have all laid aside disguise but you."
Stranger: "I wear no mask."
Camilla: (Terrified, aside to Cassilda.) "No mask? No mask!"

• Like 3

7 hours ago, yamsur said:

Hello, I never know how to Play Lunar Witchcraft? I mean, how are the visual effects, how are the physical results. The wind, the lightning, the sun the earth, I visualize. But the Moon really not?

Thank you for your answers :)

To me : Disturbing, Disgusting, Destroying and Desecrate everything in its path as if the Mad Nyarlatothep was dancing in your word and SAN ROLL -10D10 / 100... 

Ooups whe are in Glorantha, My bad 😜

So ... The Moon magic at night could be like a red radiating and impulsing light that oppress your body and mind, hurting your eyes like thousand of little needles poking your retinae AND at day light when Yelm is at the peak of the sky, the very same magic could be irradiating like a cold but blinding white light with faint red halo of light. Lunar Witchcraft is scary as hell when fighting it but as the moon is changing (Lying to you) it can also appear to be as good as any others magic.

Some others time, Lunar Withcraft may look the two extreme at the same time : Like seeing Nysalor and Gbaji at the same time; Some Will see their true Chaotic nature and others will see a blessing and relaxing magic...

Like looking at Justin Bieber / Any_actor_you_cannot_stand : Some will see the absolute beauty others will be disgusted... unless he die (Like in Zoolander 2 if I recall well).

I don't think it was mentioned specifically, but the pupil in the eyes turning into images of the Red Moon (differing phases depending on the magic or the initiated cult) could be cool. Maybe as a prelude. As in "oh shit, their eyes went weird. Something's going down."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The ground dissolving beneath your feet, faces leering from the red mist, coming from every direction, taunting, threatening, screaming. But you can’t shut your eyes, you have to try to pierce the red mist to make sense of what you are seeing, because one of the shapes is actually your lunar opponent coming at you with a scimitar.

• Thanks 1

Dario Argento and the Goblin are references that speak to me, more than the Beatles. But I did not think of as much madness, your description makes me pass to the Rune of illusion and Disorder. could we think of the effects (out of chaos) as something pleasantly unpleasant? The Red Moon claims average air. There must be some air effect, maybe like hot desert air?

To chase the clouds? what about the seven mothers?

2 hours ago, yamsur said:

The Red Moon claims average air. There must be some air effect, maybe like hot desert air?

To chase the clouds? what about the seven mothers?

Hot desert air is Storm Bull.  Chasing the clouds is Yelm.

With the Moon you have to think regular cycles.  The air (winds) nearby suddenly starts circling in a static predictable pattern for instance.  And perhaps even become "visible" as slightly glowing red winds.

Edited by jajagappa
  • Like 1