The divinations are correct: coming later this month... THE RED BOOK OF MAGIC!

MOB

1 hour ago, Akhôrahil said:

Is it all new spells, or does it modify the magic systems as well?

I believe it is supposed to be a compendium of all the spells (spirit and Rune) from the core book + the cults books.  I have not heard to any plans to modify the magic systems.

1 hour ago, Akhôrahil said:

Is it all new spells, or does it modify the magic systems as well?

From what I've seen on TW, I think it might also expand on some magic elements other than spells, like magic components (maybe an expansion to alchemy), amulets, enchanted items or places, spirits, and other magical phenomena.

My greatest issue with magic in RQG so far is that my players have a difficult time remembering and thus using their spells, I would love if this book helped solve that problem, like giving some sort of easy to make spell table with info on cost and effect .

• Like 1

:50-power-truth::50-sub-light::50-power-truth:

11 minutes ago, Jape_Vicho said:

My greatest issue with magic in RQG so far is that my players have a difficult time remembering and thus using their spells, I would love if this book helped solve that problem, like giving some sort of easy to make spell table with info on cost and effect .

I've been considering creating copy/paste "spellbooks" for them, but that becomes pretty ugly.

2 hours ago, Jape_Vicho said:

I have seen in another rpg (well a "jeu de rôle"  to be fine, base on any add rules) that spell cards were used for player, each player has one card by spell he/she knows.

It could be a good idea (I don't know) to chaosium to propose this "goodies" / "cards", or even a gm or player (+300% to dispatch in any wanted skills ;) ) to produce this.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jape_Vicho said:

Even if this book provides a summary of all the spells, or even categorized tables of spells (which I hope it does!), that wouldn't help your players much because these would be big tables with a lot of spells they don't have anyway :)  

35 minutes ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

spell cards were used for player, each player has one card by spell he/she knows.

That would indeed be very nice. Chaosium has some experience with this kind of stuff since Call of Cthulhu has several decks of cards for NPCs and equipment and such. Depending on how successful these products were, they may look into doing it for RQG.... I wouldn't hold my breath though, as I think these CoC decks were rewards they had to deliver as part of the 7ed Kickstarter which was handled by the previous management. I'm not even sure they sold well after the KS, since I've only seen them once in a store. The best that could happen is maybe a print-your-own cards PDF... but hey, that's the kind of prep stuff I like doing as a GM.

Edited by lordabdul
  • Like 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

1 hour ago, Psullie said:

My humble opinion is that this is a precursor to the Cult's books - this way we won't see pages of cult spells that need lots of page flipping

I think you may be right. I hope you are. It would be a sensible way of reducing the size of the cults books.

Yes, I hope that this is essentially the third volume of the GoGaG. Having all the spells spread out through two books would suck. I mean, if they don't take up a ton of space then maybe it's worth having them there as well but I think separate is best.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Psullie said:

My humble opinion is that this is a precursor to the Cult's books - this way we won't see pages of cult spells that need lots of page flipping

Yep. IIRC, while Jeff was writing the Cults book, he compiled a list of all the spells that he could have on hand. And then someone (Jason? Jeff?) came around and figured that could be useful for players too. It was originally planned as the 3rd book in the Cults slipcase but I don't know if that's still the plan. Some Chaosium people might chime in to give more juicy background details...

29 minutes ago, OrlanthRex said:

Any more release information? I wish I could get a hard copy by Christmas. I am guessing only pdf will be available at first and we’ll have to wait a few months for hardbound copy.  

Last I heard we would get the PDF for the holidays. Then if the process is still the same as with the other Chaosium books, there would be a "tribal editing" thread here to catch last minute typos, and then a few months for the printing to happen.

• Like 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

The soon-to-be-released Red Book of Magic features over 530 Rune spells, rituals, and spirit magic spells for RuneQuest (many of which are published here for the first time).

Let's share some of the wonderful art in the book! Magic is real in Glorantha, and each illustration depicts a different magical effect taking place.
This first pic is by Lionel Marty - can you guess the spell?

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 3.59.29 pm.png

• Like 11

23 hours ago, MOB said:
The divinations are correct: coming later this month... THE RED BOOK OF MAGIC!

Behold Mark Smylie's beautiful cover for the book, which is the ultimate guide to spirit and Rune magic for RuneQuest.

690665322_CHA4036RBoMCover.thumb.jpg.8897d7e7599f71416893998fce9c3701.jpg

Stunning cover! Looking forward to this and would curious to know more (page count, table of content)

5 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Thunderbolt, or maybe Lightning, hitting a Shield spell?

Lightning for the active spell. Thunderbolt doesn't interact with magical or material armor.

I would venture Reflection for the defensive spell - the energy appears to have gathered in the front. The target of the Lightning spell is adorned by a big Moon Rune. Although it looks to me like the capacity of the Reflection is overcome by the incoming Lightning.

If it is Shield, then what we are seeing is only the Protection effect. Lightning is not countered by any Countermagic effect except on/very close to the caster or the object used in the casting. Once successfully called, the lightning is a "physical" effect.

5 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Multimissile

I don't see the original missile. But then, Firearrow has no business branching out. In either case, the fiery wings are hard to explain.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

48 minutes ago, Psullie said:

no sorcery... ?

There was said somewhere (in the GGG topic I think) that an expansion to sorcery is being reserved for a book about the west. 

It's kinda sad, but it's also probably for the best, we can just hope to see it soon. 

• Like 1

:50-power-truth::50-sub-light::50-power-truth: