What's On the Horizon for Generic Systems?

Archivist

What, if anything, is on the horizon for a generic BRP-based system? Like the BRP Gold Book but actively supported?

• Chaosium is supposed to be coming up with an "Essentials", but I don't know how broadly generic that will be or when it will come out
  • Mythras is supposed to be generic, but I don't know if they plan to expand it to make it generic or leave that up to third parties (e.g, Superhero module, SciFi module)

So it doesn't seem like there's a viable replacement for BRP Gold on the horizon. I know you can cobble your own together, but I often enjoy having people that know what they are doing do that for me and then I'll just fiddle with bits on the side.

Archivist,

After Chaosium dropped support for the existing version of BRP, I wondered the same thing. I should also note I was looking for rules that allow me to play without hit locations. To that end I backed Revolution D100 and Delta Green. I am hoping they can become my new "go to" rules.

• Like 2

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

Mythras will take a modular approach. We've already started the process by making Mythras Imperative generic (and free), and we'll build on that base with supplements that extend its range into specific genres. But we won't produce a version of the BRP BGB or GURPS. We'll stick with Mythras core, Imperative, and then various supplements that extend the system's range. Some will be free, like Firearms; some will be paid for, like Ships & Shield Walls; and some will be focused, like Luther Arkwright.

• Like 5

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

5 minutes ago, lawrence.whitaker said:

Mythras will take a modular approach. We've already started the process by making Mythras Imperative generic (and free), and we'll build on that base with supplements that extend its range into specific genres. But we won't produce a version of the BRP BGB or GURPS. We'll stick with Mythras core, Imperative, and then various supplements that extend the system's range. Some will be free, like Firearms; some will be paid for, like Ships & Shield Walls; and some will be focused, like Luther Arkwright.

That's perfect. Please finish this so I can give you my money. I will playtest if you need help. FYI, if you need ideas, I will need

• Urban Fantasy / Horror (e.g., running a Dresden Files or World of Darkness style game)
  • Science Fiction (e.g., running a Firefly or W40K style game)
  • Street Level Superheroes (e.g., running an Agents of Shield style game).

I've already purchased RQ6, Luther Arkwright, and Mythras Imperative (the new thing you put out)

A lot depends on how well Skaerune' is received on a critical basis, but I intend to at least release the SRD for the Q21 system. Actually I have a less crunchy version that might make a better generic system, but there is no reason I can't put out both. From there it really depends on what potential players want. 

• Like 1

Its 2300hrs, do you know where your super dreadnoughts are?

http://reigndragonpressblog.blogspot.com/

11 hours ago, lawrence.whitaker said:

This is a very smart approach. However, given that the resources of the Design Mechanism are limited, how quickly will you be able to fill in some of the popular genres? I know that you are already committed to a number of upcoming works...

• Like 1

Regarding sci-fi, I'm well on my way to finish M-SPACE. It's based on Mythras Imperative and covers most sci-fi needs. It was originally developed as BRP Space, but recently I have switched to a Mythras core. To be released in early autumn. 

Edited by clarence
  • Like 7

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

20 hours ago, Archivist said:

What, if anything, is on the horizon for a generic BRP-based system? Like the BRP Gold Book but actively supported?

• Chaosium is supposed to be coming up with an "Essentials", but I don't know how broadly generic that will be or when it will come out

I'm hoping BRP Essentials will be a generic-ified version of Magic World which, for me, scratches every BRP-related itch I've had since Stormbringer 3rd ed. Perhaps with a few modern and sci-fi skills added. Then, setting guides (akin to the Southern Reaches chapter in Magic World) for the various genres.  

Colin

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ColinBrett said:

I'm hoping BRP Essentials will be a generic-ified version of Magic World which, for me, scratches every BRP-related itch I've had since Stormbringer 3rd ed. Perhaps with a few modern and sci-fi skills added. Then, setting guides (akin to the Southern Reaches chapter in Magic World) for the various genres.  

Colin

I'd expect to see a generic system push genre skills (sci-fi, magic, etc) into setting-specific sourcebooks; except that I *do* always like the "one book" effect of having a "default setting" in the core rules...

C'es ne pas un .sig

Well the way I see a generic system, especially one that leans towards the fewer end of the skill spectrum, that it would spend a page or two explaining the base skills in a different genre and any genre specific skills. Also any characteristic and attribute changes.

For instance, Aura (AUR) something I am using in the Q21/Skaerune' rules. It measures strength of soul. In cybperpunk it could be used to measure humanity, in supers a force of will, in space opera it can be "The Force", but in a Hard SF setting, drop it altogether. There is no reason not to include that simple explanation in a generic doc.

The key is to make sure parts are more or less plug and play and that you are not always recreating the wheel. For instance, how can the basic ideas of sorcery be used for say supers or hard sf? If I am inventing new power sets for each setting, it is easier to learn if they look and feel like Sorcery or Divine or (in my case) Weirds and Weirding. 

Edited by ReignDragonSMH
  • Like 1

Yes, as soon as I am done with the initial Skaerune' game stuff, I will be releasing an SRD and generic system book. I have learned a lot while designing my game and feel like it might be worth putting into a generic format for folks to use if they wish.  Also technically Q21 will be open content so. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Archivist said:

That sounds great. I have no idea what Skaerune is.

lol in the Upcoming Games forums you will find the Skaerune' sub forum. I make a lot of posts there. Currently working o the intro to the game/world called Salt Mine Blues. Its an adventure with pre gens. SHOULD be out next week, only 7 months late. After that a larger document with more of everything and finally early to mid spring next year, the full game. Likely an e-book and or POD. 

• Like 1

Although I love the BGB I do find generic systems hard to write. It may just be me, but trying to account for as much as possible I find difficult. Take my lateset book the Gigas Monstrum, it could be used in any system but the monsters are heavy high fantasy. I'd like to see someone use it somewhere else and tell me how it goes though!

Get all our products at our website: www.devotedpublishing.com

Check Solace Games out on Facebook here!

1 hour ago, auyl said:

Take my lateset book the Gigas Monstrum, it could be used in any system but the monsters are heavy high fantasy. I'd like to see someone use it somewhere else and tell me how it goes though!

I do not have the Gigas Monstrum, but I have often used fantasy creatures in science fiction settings. It is not really difficult at all, one only has to change the names and to remove the magical abilities or describe them as psionic abilities, and the majority of fantasy creatures fit quite well at least into space opera settings - just take a look at the Star Wars zoo. Harder science fiction requires a little more work to come up with (pseudo-) scientific explanations for some creatures' existence and properties, but this is usually doable.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

6 hours ago, rust said:

I do not have the Gigas Monstrum, but I have often used fantasy creatures in science fiction settings. It is not really difficult at all, one only has to change the names and to remove the magical abilities or describe them as psionic abilities, and the majority of fantasy creatures fit quite well at least into space opera settings - just take a look at the Star Wars zoo. Harder science fiction requires a little more work to come up with (pseudo-) scientific explanations for some creatures' existence and properties, but this is usually doable.

The link is in the Legend forums, I want to do a Legendesque version of sci-fi and horror, but am busy with other projects atm.

Get all our products at our website: www.devotedpublishing.com

Check Solace Games out on Facebook here!

On 13 July 2016 at 3:57 AM, Archivist said:

However, neither Delta Green or Revolution D100, which I both own, hit the sweet spot of the BGB.

Well I'm sure you don't own Revolution yet, unless I'm missing something as a Backer :)

I'm not sure the BGB really lived up to my expectations.

I tend to tinker at times, so a good set of generic rules is appealing to me from a creative sense. 

I purchased GURPS and Savage Worlds for this purpose, but then I came across the BGB.

The BGB seemed like a great solution to me as RuneQuest and Call Of Cthulhu  had always been among my favourite games not only for their settings, but also for their game mechanics. 

So the BGB seemed like an answer to my prayers. In many ways it was, but after a while I started to find the BGB a bit clumsy as a tool kit. Dated in some areas, and inconsistent in others. It was a great idea that was possibly in need of further revision to be really workable as a cohesive tool kit.

No disrespect intended here - people on this forum are aware that I am a huge supporter of this system, but that does not mean one cannot be critical at times.

Hopefully BRP Essientials will be a good foundation rule set, but it will defnately be a skeleton framework that will require further resources to be added. If you are after an all-in-one generic toolset then it looks like either Mythras or Revolution holds the most promise at this stage, depending upon the level of crunch you are after.

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"