Holy Troll Nightmare!

Briquelet

So I was creating a character for one of our players who does not have the rulebook yet. I figured a Humakti could be fun. My dice decided to catch fire and the PC ended up with 115% broadsword. Pretty cool, right? He also hates trolls, so I chose the following Humakt gift for him and specified trolls:

Bless specific weapon to do double damage (once armor is penetrated) against a given foe species.

That's when the horror struck me. If this guy casts Truesword, he will roll 2D8+1D4+2 damage on a REGULAR hit. If he hits a troll, everything that goes through armor will be doubled. If his sword is iron, the damage would get doubled again! Something tells me that a guy like this would make a Zorak Zorani hit list in a hurry.

Ok, so here is a question that occurred to me after I calmed down. If the blessed specific weapon in the example above is destroyed, what happens? Take on two more geases to bless a new weapon? Go through a period of atonement and/or testing before gaining the blessing on a new weapon? Other?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

This is Glorantha, the correct answer to that question is always going to be - Go on a heroquest to find an even greater weapon! :)

Also yeah, this character sounds like they'll end up having some very fun encounters with trolls throughout because this kind of infamy isn't exactly easy to conceal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jenx said:

This is Glorantha, the correct answer to that question is always going to be - Go on a heroquest to find an even greater weapon! :)

Also yeah, this character sounds like they'll end up having some very fun encounters with trolls throughout because this kind of infamy isn't exactly easy to conceal.

What I have told my Humakti is - DON'T LET ANYTHING HAPPEN TO THAT SWORD and hinted that it is part of the adventurer's connection to Humakt or even part of the adventurer's soul.

And after that I never had to worry about it as the player was more careful with the sword than he was with the adventurer.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Briquelet said:

Ok, so here is a question that occurred to me after I calmed down. If the blessed specific weapon in the example above is destroyed, what happens? Take on two more geases to bless a new weapon? Go through a period of atonement and/or testing before gaining the blessing on a new weapon? Other?

Maybe the answer is similar to the one that the old janitor used, "I've had the same broom for 40 years. It's had four new brush heads and two new handles."

Maybe if it's entirely dissolved in Gorp acid, that would be a problem. Other than that, even the most catastrophic regular damage is fixable.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

Maybe the answer is similar to the one that the old janitor used, "I've had the same broom for 40 years. It's had four new brush heads and two new handles."

I think that the magic should just affect the blade. That would preclude an update from bronze to iron once the Humakti makes it to rune level, unless there is a way to make composite blades of both iron and bronze.

There might by ways to upgrade an existing blade. Would iron inlays have an effect on the damage to Elder Races, or silver inlays vs discorporate foes or werewolves? No bonus in the AP for this, though.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

If the sword is part of the geas to Humakt then if it is destroyed I could see the PC having to go back to a temple for a ritual to consecrate(?) a new one, like getting an allied spirit etc. After all they have taken the geas as part of the deal and Humakt would honour that, surely. Of course they might have to go without it for a while until they can get to a (large?) temple...

• Like 1

Always start what you finish.

40 minutes ago, d(sqrt(-1)) said:

From a game point of view, if the player has made the commitment and taken the geas, it seems a bit crappy to then take the sword away from them but leave them with the geas.  

Nobody's talking about taking it away from anyone.

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

52 minutes ago, d(sqrt(-1)) said:

From a game point of view, if the player has made the commitment and taken the geas, it seems a bit crappy to then take the sword away from them but leave them with the geas.

Why?  That's the stuff of stories and legends!  The Eurmali trickster shatters your famed sword Trollbane, but you know Humakt blessed you to carry it into the heart of the Black Dragon Mountain so you could confront the great darkness there.  You consult the sages of Jonstown, but their only answers are to seek out the Seers of Enervi in distant Esrolia.  But you know Humakt has set this task to you, so you gather companions to journey there and learn what you can.  The price of the seers is high, but you learn that Trollbane can be reforged in the Fires of Heaven, Gustbran's birthplace, a place that darkness cannot touch.  It is a journey into the Sky World and the way is shrouded, but your quest is clear...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jeff said:

What I have told my Humakti is - DON'T LET ANYTHING HAPPEN TO THAT SWORD and hinted that it is part of the adventurer's connection to Humakt or even part of the adventurer's soul.

And after that I never had to worry about it as the player was more careful with the sword than he was with the adventurer.

Sure, but you are a way more devious man than I am, Jeff.

13 hours ago, Briquelet said:

So I was creating a character for one of our players who does not have the rulebook yet. I figured a Humakti could be fun. My dice decided to catch fire and the PC ended up with 115% broadsword. Pretty cool, right? He also hates trolls, so I chose the following Humakt gift for him and specified trolls:

Bless specific weapon to do double damage (once armor is penetrated) against a given foe species.

That's when the horror struck me. If this guy casts Truesword, he will roll 2D8+1D4+2 damage on a REGULAR hit. If he hits a troll, everything that goes through armor will be doubled. If his sword is iron, the damage would get doubled again!

Yeah, I'd definitely rule that as double > treble > quadruple not x2 > x4 > x8 ... 😋

1 hour ago, Julian Lord said:

Yeah, I'd definitely rule that as double > treble > quadruple not x2 > x4 > x8 ... 😋

I agree, any magical component of damage should not get the iron-doubling. Damage bonus should be doubled though, as that is physical force transferred via the iron. Could get complicated with special results!

Edited by PhilHibbs

18 hours ago, Briquelet said:

I figured a Humakti could be fun. My dice decided to catch fire and the PC ended up with 115% broadsword. Pretty cool, right?

Is that legit? Because the +25 choices can't take you over 100. Does he get a raised skill from a gift?

*Edit* Ok, it's totally possible, I just legitimately got a Humakti up to 120% before getting to the Personal Skill Bonuses stage. I forgot about the "+20 to any cult skill", which is not limited.

Edited by PhilHibbs

That sword is both a blessing and a curse, because Humakt will expect it to be used for its intended purpose. If it isn't used, or is lost, the consequences could be serious (the most extreme, being for the character to give an account of themselves in Humakt's Hall - which means they'd be... dead).

Powerful swords often taken on a life of their own, and frequently bring doom upon their wielder. Whilst it isn't mentioned in the rules, it is also possible that there is a physical effect when the sword is in the presence of its intended victims (perhaps it starts to glow or hum), and possibly even a spiritual effect, as a troll shaman tied to the Death Rune might be aware of its nearby presence.

Edited by M Helsdon

4 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

That sword is both a blessing and a curse, because Humakt will expect it to be used for its intended purpose. If it isn't used, or is lost, the consequences could be serious (the most extreme, being for the character to give an account of themselves in Humakt's Hall - which means they'd be... dead).

Powerful swords often taken on a life of their own, and frequently bring doom upon their wielder. Whilst it isn't mentioned in the rules, it is also possible that there is a physical effect when the sword is in the presence of its intended victims (perhaps it starts to glow or hum), and possibly even a spiritual effect, as a troll shaman tied to the Death Rune might be aware of its nearby presence.

After racking up a few troll kills, I'm pretty sure the character might get some attention from nearby trolls. Even with 115% skill, after a few attacks, that last one Great Troll 2H maul attack will be -60% to parry.

5 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

The Mournblade effect...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jeff said:

Hmmm... Sounds like your Humakti needs a Trickster in his life. Ask Sandy about Mr. Man.

SDLeary

17 hours ago, simonh said:

Nobody's talking about taking it away from anyone.

So what does

One it's gone, that's it. Better be careful with that sword.

and

What I have told my Humakti is - DON'T LET ANYTHING HAPPEN TO THAT SWORD and hinted that it is part of the adventurer's connection to Humakt or even part of the adventurer's soul

mean then? Sorry I'm confused now.

Edited by d(sqrt(-1))

17 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Why?  That's the stuff of stories and legends!  The Eurmali trickster shatters your famed sword Trollbane, but you know Humakt blessed you to carry it into the heart of the Black Dragon Mountain so you could confront the great darkness there.  You consult the sages of Jonstown, but their only answers are to seek out the Seers of Enervi in distant Esrolia.  But you know Humakt has set this task to you, so you gather companions to journey there and learn what you can.  The price of the seers is high, but you learn that Trollbane can be reforged in the Fires of Heaven, Gustbran's birthplace, a place that darkness cannot touch.  It is a journey into the Sky World and the way is shrouded, but your quest is clear...

Yes that's exactly what I would do too - let them do something to get it back.

15 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

I agree, any magical component of damage should not get the iron-doubling. Damage bonus should be doubled though, as that is physical force transferred via the iron. Could get complicated with special results!

We played that iron doubling was compatible with other spells, as it happens after everything is taken into account.

So, a Humakti using an iron broadsword would do 1D8+1+1d4 on a normal hit. Rolling 10 and hitting a troll with 7 points of armour means that 3 go through, but as it is iron, this doubles to 6. The same Humakti with Bladesharp 4 would do 14 damage, so 7 goes through, doubling to 14. With Truesword, he gets an extra 1d8+1, so rolling 4 means damage is 18, so 11 goes through doubling to 22.

We also played that "Such and such effect does double damage to a type of creature" works the same way as iron, so doubles after all absorbing magic/armour takes place, so all examples in the previous paragraph are doubled.

To me, there is no point having a "Double damage against trolls" gift that doesn't double with iron, as why have it on an iron sword? 

Humakti with such a gift are especially dangerous foes. Thise with multiple gifts on the same weapon are even more dangerous. A Humakto with Double Damage against Trolls and Double Damage against Undead would be very potent against troll campires or a troll mummy, as damage would double twice, if the weapon is iron then penetrating damage would be x8, so 1 point would take a locatoin down.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

10 minutes ago, Zozotroll said:

Sounds like a good candidate for arsenic in his beer.  Or maybe cragspider drop her fireball on him.

Or a Zorak Zorani HeroQuestor with gifts of Double Damage against Humans and Double Damage against Humakti on his Troll Maul, with a few dollops of Crush.

• Like 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here