Sunglasses

RHW

Put this in my Argan Argar thread, but figured it might be worth its own entry.

SUNGLASSES

Argan Argar Forge Lords know secret techniques for creating darkened lenses called Sunglasses, aka Shades aka Cheaters. These are precious items usually reserved for Rune Levels of Argan Argar or important dignitaries. Wearing Sunglasses gives the wearer a +5% to his Bargaining, Fast Talk, Cool, Shady and similar skills. Sunglasses also negate any Spot penalty from glare and make the wearer immune to automatic Demoralize effects from sunlight, but halves the wearer Spot and Search if worn in the dark (NOTE: Darksense is not penalized, sunglasses may be pushed up onto the wearer's forehead as part of the Spot or Search action to avoid penalty). Since they are made from enchanted Obsidian, they cost 1 POW to attune, detect as magical, and are suitable binding objects for Allied Spirits. A pair of Black Sunglasses runs about 1000 guilders* or 100,000 bolgs. Forge Lords manufacturing Black Shades include Rehbahn the Wayfarer, Sir Pierce-Soul, and Oakfed Lee.

Recently Rehbahn the Wayfarer perfected a technique for making Rose-colored Sunglasses, originally for members of the Red Earth Alliance. After receiving a pair as a gift, Moonson himself frequently wears them, making them all the rage with the Lunar nobility and a very profitable export. Rose-Colored Glasses can cost up to 2000 Lunars.

The latest innovation in Sunglasses are highly reflective, silvered lenses called Mirrorshades. They’re made by a Forge Lord named Reava’ and range in price from 1000 to 2000 Lunars. They’re popular with the supporters of the Old Earth Alliance in Esrolia.

Dara Happans, Yelmics, and Yelmalians despise Sunglasses of any kind.

*This is the cost of one encumbrance of crafted rune metal, including iron, in my Glorantha. YGMV. Adjust as appropriate.

Edited by RHW
Edited as per suggestions.
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

On 5/22/2019 at 6:07 AM, Shiningbrow said:

Only -5% for wearing sunnies in the dark??? I think you missed the 0 on the end of that number there!

Trolls aren't really affected, as they use Darksense rather than vision, or rather they have both.

• Thanks 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

52 minutes ago, soltakss said:

Trolls aren't really affected, as they use Darksense rather than vision, or rather they have both.

This is true, but the penalty for humans should probably be higher. Editing!

• 11 months later...

I think this is cooool. However, a friend of mine who recently found out about Gloranthan sunglasses thanks to the art in The Pegasus Plateau thinks they are dumb, since trolls don't need their eyes to see. "They could wear a blindfold outdoors and the result would be the same". That got me thinking. Would it make more sense for trolls and trollkins to just wear blindfolds when outdoors during daylight hours?

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

1 hour ago, Runeblogger said:

However, a friend of mine who recently found out about Gloranthan sunglasses thanks to the art in The Pegasus Plateau thinks they are dumb, since trolls don't need their eyes to see. "They could wear a blindfold outdoors and the result would be the same".

True, Trolls have Darksense, so can use their sonar to perceive things.

However, trolls can also use their eyes to augment their Darksense, maybe not augment in the RQ Rules sense of the word, but they can use Darksense and sight together.

So, I can sense a figure hiding on the ground, but I cannot tell what it is. Oh, look, I can see that it is a Broo.

Mistress Race Trolls have a very highly developed Darksense and almost no vision at all, so they rely entirely on Darksense.

Trollkin have a poorly-developed Darksense and so rely far more on vision.

Would it make more sense for trolls and trollkins to just wear blindfolds when outdoors during daylight hours?

That would block the effects of the sunlight and might even stop Trollkin from being demoralized by it.

But, it isn't cool, hip or trendy, so Argan Argari merchants probably wouldn't wear blindfolds. Leave that to the Zorak Zorani.

• Like 4

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I think this is cooool. However, a friend of mine who recently found out about Gloranthan sunglasses thanks to the art in The Pegasus Plateau thinks they are dumb, since trolls don't need their eyes to see. "They could wear a blindfold outdoors and the result would be the same". That got me thinking. Would it make more sense for trolls and trollkins to just wear blindfolds when outdoors during daylight hours?

Darksense is strongly weakened by direct sunlight, at least in my Glorantha. It requires Darkness as a medium.

Darksense is not sound-based. The sounds a darksensing troll makes are a byproduct of sending signals through the medium Darkness.

• Like 3

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Reasons a dark troll might wear sunglasses: 

• The sunglasses have no practical effect other than reducing glare, which is nonetheless uncomfortable. 
  • The sunglasses have an enchantment to reduce sunlight and negate any penalties, or even to see something not visible to the naked eye. 
  • Sunglasses prevent someone from seeing your eyes. While a troll doesn't need them to see, squinting against sunlight is not seemly and might cause humans/others to think them weak. 
  • Gift from a loved one. 
  • They look cool. 
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, soltakss said:

True, Trolls have Darksense, so can use their sonar to perceive things.

However, trolls can also use their eyes to augment their Darksense, maybe not augment in the RQ Rules sense of the word, but they can use Darksense and sight together.

So, I can sense a figure hiding on the ground, but I cannot tell what it is. Oh, look, I can see that it is a Broo.

Mistress Race Trolls have a very highly developed Darksense and almost no vision at all, so they rely entirely on Darksense.

Trollkin have a poorly-developed Darksense and so rely far more on vision.

That would block the effects of the sunlight and might even stop Trollkin from being demoralized by it.

But, it isn't cool, hip or trendy, so Argan Argari merchants probably wouldn't wear blindfolds. Leave that to the Zorak Zorani.

I have some vague recollection that Argan Argar was even linked to obsidian in some way.

3 minutes ago, Brootse said:

I have some vague recollection that Argan Argar was even linked to obsidian in some way.

Yes, he made Veskarthan (or if you prefer the Monomyth, Lodril) build the Obsidian Palace after shearing off the top of his great volcano north of Choralinthor Bay.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Or if you think the obsidian thing is a bit high tech, merely the kind of snow goggles polar expeditions used (which keep out light and reflections) should be a lot better than nothing.

Wooden snow goggles belonging to Captain Scott in British National ...

Scott's snow goggles

Inuit Snow Goggles - Carved Bone 5" W. 1 1/4" H. Fine Condition ...

Inuit-style snow goggles, bone

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

That got me thinking. Would it make more sense for trolls and trollkins to just wear blindfolds when outdoors during daylight hours?

Blindfolding them is one of the few ways to reliably transport undisciplined trollkin through daylight.  Crueler trolls actually blind lower-value trollkin outright to facilitate moving them through sunlight, leaving them only their rather meager darksense, if it won't disrupt their intended duties.  Comparable to real world human societies that deliberately maimed skilled slaves to prevent them from escaping their owners.

The only other really reliable way is Argan Argar spearkin training, which takes time, effort, magic, and makes trollkin a lot more dangerous than many dark trolls and mistress trolls are comfortable with.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dumuzid said:

Blindfolding them is one of the few ways to reliably transport undisciplined trollkin through daylight.  Crueler trolls actually blind lower-value trollkin outright to facilitate moving them through sunlight, leaving them only their rather meager darksense, if it won't disrupt their intended duties.  Comparable to real world human societies that deliberately maimed skilled slaves to prevent them from escaping their owners.

The only other really reliable way is Argan Argar spearkin training, which takes time, effort, magic, and makes trollkin a lot more dangerous than many dark trolls and mistress trolls are comfortable with.

Oh, I didn't know that trollkin could be trained out of it.

6 hours ago, Brootse said:

So he does! No black clothes though.

If he was wearing his sunglasses when getting dressed, perhaps the wardrobe he chose looked black.  I've made similar mistakes getting dressed for work in the dark.

!i!

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green