Joann Sfar's Uz homage to Luise Perrene's original RuneQuest cover

MOB

4 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

JOANN SFAR IS A FAN OF GLORANTHA?!?!?!??! YESSSSSSSS

He's going to do the cover illustration for the recently crowdfunded French version of the RQG slipcase set.... I'll post pictures when I receive it :) (some time in autumn 2020)

• Like 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

7 hours ago, Grievous said:

I don't mean to be too obvious, but I think we need a comic.

God can you imagine if he did a Glorantha comic, I'd literally die

His comic series about the dungeon dwellers is incredible and his emotional work in The Rabbi's Cat is subtle, graceful, and moving. Imagine if he finished Prince of Sartar, I'd diieeeee.

9 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

His comic series about the dungeon dwellers is incredible and his emotional work in The Rabbi's Cat is subtle, graceful, and moving.

Yes, Dungeon is really nice. As a writer, Sfar is very good.My appreciation of his drawings would be less elogious.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

God can you imagine if he did a Glorantha comic, I'd literally die

Geeeez.

You not ONLY want the guy to do a comic for you, you ALSO want him to Orlanth you a LBQ to bring you back from the dead!!?!

🤡

2 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

... Imagine if he finished Prince of Sartar...

Personally, I find a substantive change in art styles to be a problem for this sort of thing, really disrupts my connection to the work.

I've no argument with a Gloranthan comic from him, but I'd rather see him engage with some other story...  FrEx, the original Orlanth/Yelm conflict, the Darkness, and the LBQ...  The Seven Mothers and rebirth of the Moon...   Or even his own original story, a classic "Band Of Adventurers (a la Sfar)."

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, g33k said:

Personally, I find a substantive change in art styles to be a problem for this sort of thing, really disrupts my connection to the work.

I mean, I understand that, but on the other hand, this is entirely theoretical because Sfar isn't going to write Prince of Sartar but it's a wish upon a star and my reasoning is: then we'd get the rest of the story?

1 hour ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

I mean, I understand that, but on the other hand, this is entirely theoretical because Sfar isn't going to write Prince of Sartar but it's a wish upon a star and my reasoning is: then we'd get the rest of the story?

Jeff is involved in that, too.

If either Jeff or Kalin are too busy with paying projects -- or have any other distractions -- then the series languishes.

I believe things have been distracting for a while, now... but I do think they plan to finish(?) !

C'es ne pas un .sig

33 minutes ago, g33k said:

Jeff is involved in that, too.

If either Jeff or Kalin are too busy with paying projects -- or have any other distractions -- then the series languishes.

I believe things have been distracting for a while, now... but I do think they plan to finish(?) !

One can only hope, it's the piece of media that made me look at Glorantha further.

5 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

you should compare The Rabbi's Cat, then, which is ... much different to his work on fantasy

image.png.53ef78a5217ed582a537ea8d138d7b0d.png

I've read 'Le chat du Rabbin'. I liked the story, by I'm not fond of the drawings. I agree with you the style is completely different of the one he uses in his fantasy drawings or in his 'Charlie Hebdo' drawings. His Petit Vampire's drawings, I find nice and I bought several to my last son. The rest, I don't know much.

1 hour ago, Kloster said:

I've read 'Le chat du Rabbin'. I liked the story, by I'm not fond of the drawings. I agree with you the style is completely different of the one he uses in his fantasy drawings or in his 'Charlie Hebdo' drawings. His Petit Vampire's drawings, I find nice and I bought several to my last son. The rest, I don't know much.

noooooo i lovvvve his chat du rabbin work, so evocative and emotional! and... there's a lot more detail than his fantasy work, hahahaha

also the cat pwning the rabbis in argument, *chef's kiss*

Edited by Qizilbashwoman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, goldenwheeldancer said:

Badly drawn amirite

you are not right, no; that's like saying "Chagall was bad at art" because his style was not literal.

he has a specific style quite familiar to European readers and he's considered a master of comic art. he's won endless awards for his comics and his animated films.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

you are not right, no; that's like saying "Chagall was bad at art" because his style was not literal.

Oh well, of course chacun à son gôut. I can not say the fantasy presented here does a thing for me, loved Louise’s original work. Though it was very simple, it always satisfied, That anyone would do a homage is fine by me, she deserves much more, but an homage is always sweet so my critique is meant to be gentle.

While I do like the art of 'Le chat du Rabbin’ did not recognize it by name, but have read it at some point, the work presented here does nothing for me. There is a trope that assholes and opinions are equally common so there is always that, but we still have ‘em anyway (rascals that we are).  Hell, the girlfriend and I took in Chagall a few years ago when his work was on tour and while I was happy to see it, there are many non-literal artists I prefer... Chacun à son gôut, all over again.

Cheers

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

1 minute ago, Brootse said:

Damn, what great drawings!

Considering the joy these are bringing, I truly wish I could see what all see but me. Oh well, so as not to be a buzzkill I shall let all enjoy and shut the hell up with anymore negativity! :) 

Considering how much I have loved most of Chaosium’s artwork I have nothing to complain about.

Cheers

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

@Bill the barbarian just said chacun à son gôut to me,

so on that note, I shall bid you all a very fine, if befuddled,

goodnight

Just thought I should check, you said befuddled, can I be of assistance to clarify anything.

Cheers