+10 to cult weapons gift in Humakt

DrDave

43 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

This isn't my reading, but it's an interesting question, and matters a ton for the usefulness of Repair.

(I read "permanent" as "can't be fixed".)

If you're right (and I agree there are arguments for both direction), the repair spell is much less interesting, especially now that armoring enchantment are out of the game.

2 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

I meant not picking up the gift in the first place until you have a good target sword. No need to drag around geases for no reason. 

You get to pick up to three gifts at initiation, and another one (or as many as desired) at promotion to Sword. The way I see it, these are your two lifetime opportunities to pick up gifts, unless you heroquest or DI for more.

2 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

I'm sure it's decent as in "as good as the baseline stats in the rulebook". But when making a serious commitment to an individual weapon like this, surely it makes sense to start with something that's better than average?

You make this sound like superior swords are going to be guaranteed for each and every Humakti. I have some doubt about that.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

44 minutes ago, Joerg said:

You make this sound like superior swords are going to be guaranteed for each and every Humakti. I have some doubt about that.

Iron at least should be pretty accessible in a longer campaign. It's not that rare.

And magical swords isn't exactly a rarity in published adventures.

Edited by Akhôrahil

10 hours ago, DrDave said:

What do you think are strongest ones?

For an initiated first three I think the most interesting are always utility gifts like, Begin Sense Assassin skill at 30% plus 
Magic skills category modifier, Gain ability to Detect Undead as 
per the spirit magic spell by simply 
concentrating, at no magic point cost, and +4 to effective CON against disease or 
poison. Or whatever flavor you are feeling. 

I would save all of the weapon buffs for Rune-Lordship, when you get an iron weapon if available. Then you can go bonkers and take a ton of +50% weapon HP, double damage past armor, and other blessings you want to stack up. 

This might belong in the munchkinnery thread but, I took 10 (if I remember correctly) stacks of the Double MP Regen Rate for a broke ass Humakti version of the infinity Rune. MPs regen within the duration of a spirit spell. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

This might belong in the munchkinnery thread but, I took 10 (if I remember correctly) stacks of the Double MP Regen Rate for a broke ass Humakti version of the infinity Rune. MPs regen within the duration of a spirit spell. 

So if I have this correct, and i think I get it, stacking the gift ten times allows one to have buffs forever (well, as long as awake and willing to chant) seeing as the spells will last 2 minutes and it will take a little over a minute to regain all MPS so except time required to recast the buffs they stay up. Of course people think you are crazy, chanting runic eldritch words every minute... 

Egregious dude! Batshit crazy, but egregiously so! And all for the low cost of 10 geas! If one gets the Ronco™ sword sharpener and turnip twaddler throwing in for free—well! 

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

1 minute ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

It gets especially gross if you throw up a multi spell 3 or 4. A Humakti with decent POW can throw out either 3/4d3 disruptions if he finds himself in need of ranged offense. He can also cover his whole team in appropriate magic or himself in just 1 round. Protection 6, BS 6, and another BS 6 for tree he other sword? Lol 

Crap, I forgot about multispell... this is crazy great!

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

2 hours ago, gochie said:

Quick side question… If someone steals or borrows a sword blessed by Humakt (Humakti(s) owner is still alive), I assume the sword retains its blessings even when not wielded by the Humakti?

Absolutely -- they HAVE to be.

Bonded Tricksters call these "lottery swords"  by another name -- "A Gift for my Master" (they actually "find their way" into Orlanthi hands as often as not).

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 9/17/2019 at 2:50 PM, Bill the barbarian said:

Crap, I forgot about multispell... this is crazy great!

Humaktis give up kin for a reason... they murder better than ANYBODY, even Zorak Zoranis.

The only thing Humaktis need is some kind of tzompantli offering.

In case this appears to be, idk, weirdly culturally-bound: tsompantli-equivalents were present in 1. Indo-European societies, particularly Celtic and Italic and Hittites (the Hittites were also were cannibals); 2. Sino-Tibetan cultures, including Classical China and the Tibetan Empire; 3. many other large, ancient cultures. I read a Hittite work in Hittite discussing how a ruler killed and ate a rebel's mother and sister and I also read Classical Chinese discussions of human sacrifice and cannibalism.

The headhunting practices of the Gauls - they preserved heads in cedar oil and put them around their doorframes - survived the end of literal headhunting and to this day is a motif visible in French architecture. There's a really famous anth article about this but I'll be damned if I can remember the author's name offhand.

1 hour ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

The headhunting practices of the Gauls - they preserved heads in cedar oil and put them around their doorframes - survived the end of literal headhunting and to this day is a motif visible in French architecture. There's a really famous anth article about this but I'll be damned if I can remember the author's name offhand.

So when Obelix collected roman helmets, that was code for... wow.

image.png.514049a1acd37695d541db086730c0b1.png

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

On 9/17/2019 at 7:45 AM, DrDave said:

So a new character gets the +10% to attack with cult weapons.  I assume that is a bonus when you roll an attack, not a 10% rise in skill.  (Especially since a rise in skill would cover parries, which this gift doesn't.)

There's been good discussion in this thread on how to handle it, but I also asked about it on the official questions thread here:

We played it as a +10 to the skill, not as a bonus. It is one of the worst gifts, really.

RQG has one skill, not an attack/parry, so it affects both. The gift is just lazily lifted and shifted from earlier versions.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here