Kallyr's Dragonrise heroquest

Gamesmeister

Hi all, 

What information do we have, if any, about the heroquest that Kallyr Starbrow performs to create the Dragonrise? I'm currently running my players through a modified Eleven Lights campaign, and they are getting closer to Kallyr's inner circle with each game, so I was thinking about how they could be incorporated into that event.

Many thanks

From the description in the Sourcebook (p.39f, more detailed with Lunar information and more recent than King of Sartar), the rites interfering with the dedication ceremony of the New Lunar Temple were masterminded by Minaryth Purple (who died during the quest, presumably in the Shargash encounter) and possibly Orlaront Dragonspeaker, who subsequently fell into disgrace at Kallyr's court and relocated to Argrath's court at Pavis.

Why would Kallyr exile Orlaront if she had backed that rite? Of course this could be a case of plausible deniability. By publicly distancing herself from her dragon lore companion, Kallyr distances herself from the dragonspeaker. Her prior ties to Minaryth are well known, though, so how plausible would this move be?

There is always the magic of the ancestors, though. Sending Orlaront into exile may have been the demand of some ancestral choir threatening to withhold the tribal magic or possibly even some royal magic from Kallyr. IMO this may be her Kheldon tribe (or its ancestral/protective spirits) acting up, as the House of Sartar has no history of adversity to dragonkind. Having to face dragonewt warriors at the assault on Boldhome may have been a surprise. Both Sartar's and Tarkalor's marriages to their respective FHQs received the blessing of the Inhuman King, but then so did Moirades' in 1604 or so.

Prepwork: The Eleven Lights quest was instrumental in returning Orlanth's Ring into the sky, outside of its regular cycle and with unusual course and speed. Minaryth was juggling a number of myths there, including Umath's ascent to the Celestial City until his collision with Shargash (at which time the questers had to switch to a different myth). All highly experimental heroquesting.

• Like 4

Telling how it is excessive verbis

There is also some prep work in the Boatrising Scenario, where some of the NPCs hop off to talk to dragonic creatures in Orlanth's Ring.

The PCs in my last Gloranthan campaign did this themselves and awakened their Inner Dragon, gaining a Dragon Rune  and some cool powers that they developed later on, resulting in them transforming into True Dragons and fighting the Chaos Dragon from Secrets of Dorastor, then Mello Yello becoming the Golden Dragon and transferring the Great sister's Utuma ritual to himself, causing the Golden Dragon to die and be reborn as the Sun Dragon Emperor and the Red Emperor left there looking like an idiot.

• Like 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

@Gamesmeister if you are looking for the myth of the Lightbringers' Quest, you need to get a copy of either The Book of Heortling Mythology or the videogame King of Dragon Pass. The myth is described there, but you will need to turn it into playable material.

The Short Lightbringers' Quest is also briefly described in pages 202-203 of Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes.

tumblr_inline_nm2cxujXbh1rw7v32_500.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

I'm running the Eleven Lights myself, so any extra information regarding Kallyr's quest is more than welcome!

On the other hand, why does the giant turtle have a penis rune? It's the first one on the left hand-side...

On 11/28/2020 at 3:44 PM, Runeblogger said:

@Gamesmeister if you are looking for the myth of the Lightbringers' Quest, you need to get a copy of either The Book of Heortling Mythology or the videogame King of Dragon Pass. The myth is described there, but you will need to turn it into playable material.

The Short Lightbringers' Quest is also briefly described in pages 202-203 of Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes.

tumblr_inline_nm2cxujXbh1rw7v32_500.png

• Haha 1

1. Kallyr is participant in a magical rite to enter into the Consecration Rites of the New Temple of the Reaching Moon. Yes, this is a heroquest, but it is not based on anything other than the Broken Ring's movement through the heavens. The Broken Ring isn't supposed to be there, but thanks to an opening (possibly created by Orlaront), the Orlanthi are able to enter the Lunar ceremony and wreak havoc. That's all that was supposed to happen - the consecration ceremony was supposed to be disrupted, giving Kallyr the ability to increase the guerrilla campaign against the Lunar Occupation, and possibly gain the support of potential allies like Argrath White Bull or Samastina of Nochet. This was most definitely NOT the Lightbringers Quest.

2. The Dragonrise was a COMPLETE surprise to Kallyr. She exiled Orlaront for it, and it took her several days to figure out how completely the Dragonrise destroyed the Lunar military might in Dragon Pass. That's why she took a week before she dared attack Boldhome.

3. Kallyr never took credit for causing the Dragonrise and she made it clear she never trusted dragons or dragonkind. "Had I known that a True Dragon was beneath the temple, I would have let the Lunars waken it themselves." Many claim the White Bull - who was also known as Dragonlord or Dragonfriend - had some involvement. After all, Argrath never claimed to be responsible for the Dragonrise, but then he never claimed not to be responsible. He did welcome Orlaront to his side.

• Like 12
  • Helpful 1

11 hours ago, Mameluco said:

On the other hand, why does the giant turtle have a penis rune? It's the first one on the left hand-side...

That's an over-the-ear stereo headphone (those youngsters with their foam ear buds, these days...)

Addendum: it probably indicates there is per-seat entertainment options for passengers.

Edited by Baron Wulfraed
add addendum
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jeff said:

Argrath never claimed to be responsible for the Dragonrise, but then he never claimed not to be responsible.

Of course it was Argrath, Brabonry Chief-priest, New Jonston, in 1892 says that he dragon did not exist before, and came to Argrath’s summons.

• Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

8 hours ago, David Scott said:

Of course it was Argrath, Brabonry Chief-priest, New Jonston, in 1892 says that he dragon did not exist before, and came to Argrath’s summons.

That 1622 research document that talks about using 100 heads of cattle as a bait as of 1619 appears to disagree. (Boxed section in the Guide, p.79).

But then, being part of the restricted section of the Boldhome temple library would make this knowledge rather obscure.

This text is weird in a number of ways. The 1622 date would place at least the time of its deposition in the library into the Windstop, but this text was first published in Elder Secrets, before we ever learned about the Windstop.

A deposition date, or possibly writing date, of this document can mean that the research had actually been conducted prior to the Windstop. But this would still mean that it happened during the time the Dundealos tribe had been disbanded and the New Lunar Temple construction was already well under way.

I would like to speculate who in Boldhome would have the means to throw a herd this huge at some idle research project.

Of course, we have a Lhankor Mhy initiate on the throne of Boldhome, and while Temertain certainly was a Lunar puppet, it looks like the Lunars humored his academic pursuits and allowed him significant financial means. Compared to the purchase price of Brithini Iron Statuary, a small clan's worth of cattle would be rather small change, I imagine. Redirection and misappropriation of research funds probably is a time-honored tradition in Lhankor Mhy libraries.

With Fazzur having taken up residence and office in Karse and Tatius focussed on the New Lunar Temple in formerly Dundealos lands, I see a possibility that Garstal had Lunar-approved and possibly documented allocation of funds. The cattle could have been taken out of the sacrificial herds kept by the temple builders for their various stages of consecration, with proper requisitioning paperwork.

• Like 2

Telling how it is excessive verbis

16 hours ago, Jeff said:

3. Kallyr never took credit for causing the Dragonrise and she made it clear she never trusted dragons or dragonkind. "Had I known that a True Dragon was beneath the temple, I would have let the Lunars waken it themselves." Many claim the White Bull - who was also known as Dragonlord or Dragonfriend - had some involvement. After all, Argrath never claimed to be responsible for the Dragonrise, but then he never claimed not to be responsible. He did welcome Orlaront to his side.

I think this is more one for the dumbest theory thread, but given all the speculation as to the author of the dragon rise…

What happens if its an inside job.  Far easier to manipulate Tatius to build the temple over a dragon rather than procure an actual dragon.

And I’ve not yet got to the dumbest bit...

3 hours ago, Joerg said:

while Temertain certainly was a Lunar puppet

How’s about Temertain.  Who’d suspect him! 

Me, just a completely bumbling and ineffectual scholar.  But Tatius, look what my latest research has turned up on the holy sites of the Sky cults during the gods war has turned up.   Isn’t the mythic significance of that really interesting!

Well, don't say I didn't warn you it was dumb.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Stephen L said:

I think this is more one for the dumbest theory thread, but given all the speculation as to the author of the dragon rise…

What happens if its an inside job.  Far easier to manipulate Tatius to build the temple over a dragon rather than procure an actual dragon.

And I’ve not yet got to the dumbest bit...

How’s about Temertain.  Who’d suspect him! 

Me, just a completely bumbling and ineffectual scholar.  But Tatius, look what my latest research has turned up on the holy sites of the Sky cults during the gods war has turned up.   Isn’t the mythic significance of that really interesting!

Well, don't say I didn't warn you it was dumb.

He's already dead by then.

On 11/30/2020 at 1:54 PM, jajagappa said:

It looks like a variant of one of the Hero Wars era many-subcult-Runes, e.g.

image.png.d616a07a9eaf9a17c48ff4928bea4eb2.png

image.png.9171f0ff43abfb363c113c0425c152bf.png

image.png.11b37935181fb84dda107273893acdcc.png

image.png.b4fb1489c091a6675a5eb5cc0e27a6b8.png

image.png.130a717e06a4400e4ae7eac6edd3e2ce.png

Lots of penis-runes.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

5 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

What was the point of Kallyr’s dragon-related heroquesting during the Shipraising? I always presumed this was Dragonrise-related, but if not, then what was the goal? Merely something about the Dragon’s Head part of Orlanth’s Ring?

Maybe going off and finding things out about Orlanth's Ring?

You don't always get what you expected/wanted on HeroQuests.

My opinion is that Argrath used Kallyr as a patsy and manipulated her quite a bit. She caused the Dragonrise but Argarth wanted it to happened, or was not disappointed when it happened.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, soltakss said:

My opinion is that Argrath used Kallyr as a patsy and manipulated her quite a bit. She caused the Dragonrise but Argarth wanted it to happened, or was not disappointed when it happened.

Maybe. I don't like this increasing tendency that Argrath did everything that matters.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, soltakss said:

Maybe going off and finding things out about Orlanth's Ring?

You don't always get what you expected/wanted on HeroQuests.

I don't think that was the case at all. As is usual in Glorantha, there were multiple people doing different things for different reasons.