Your heretical Gloranthas

Groovetronic

1 minute ago, soltakss said:

Not German Beer, presumably?

Bavarian beer, even, although probably not brewed in Germany. There are some "Helles" (light beer, Bavarian style) which have low content of original wort.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

My Glorantha replaces Orlanth with Indlas Somer, so it isn't heretical but rather it is the Most Correct Glorantha, the One True Glorantha of which all other Gloranthas are just shadows.

• Thanks 1

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

I feel like I may not have been believed for my previous post.

Indlas Somer

Lord of the Endless Surf

Born the very hour that the Sun first appeared in the Sky at the Dawn, Indlas Somer found a new world of oppressive rules and stifling traditions. He rejected the depressing vision of the dogmatists and the judges of morality, and sought a life of hedonism and enjoyment. He quested mightily, and succeeded in carving his own place out of the world: a place for friends and celebration of the good things Life has to offer.

Members of the cult enjoy fast chariots, loud music, a festival around a roaring fire on the beach, and all sorts of indulgences. Indlas lived for the moment, never thinking of tomorrow and forgetting yesterday, generally out for a good time, and subject to no rules except his own, and he expects his followers to follow suit.

Entry Requirements: Must be willing to embrace hedonism.

Abilities: Dance, Find Food and Drink, Mythology of Indlas Somer, Ride Chariot or Ride Horse, Sing, Swim.

Virtues: Hedonistic, Musical.

Affinities:

[Life] Live Fast (Comfort Song ritual, Heal Quickly, Instantly Start Fire, Never Stop Moving, Nullify Restraining Magic)

[Water] Rider of Waves (Command Giant Clam, Command Water Daimon, Hold Breath, Never-ending Breaker, Ride Wave, Summon Sharks, Summon Water Daimon ritual)

[Movement] Freedom (Dismiss Daimon, Dismiss Essence, Dismiss Spirit, Escape Capture, Knock Out)

Other Side: Indlas Somer never thought about the future, and his followers follow suit.

Worshippers: Hedonists.

Other Connections: Indlas Somer has fought for and against many gods from many pantheons.

Edited by AlHazred
  • Thanks 3

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

9 hours ago, AlHazred said:

My Glorantha replaces Orlanth with Indlas Somer, so it isn't heretical but rather it is the Most Correct Glorantha, the One True Glorantha of which all other Gloranthas are just shadows.

Most excellent!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 7/18/2021 at 4:27 AM, Groovetronic said:

One idea I am playing with is a Harshax setting, where outlawed, renegade scholars try desperately to bring back the magic of the gods while on the run from the agents of the Harshax, before Wakboth returns.

Will! They! Never! Learn! Bringing back a god is how this always starts!

• Haha 1

On 7/23/2021 at 1:32 PM, Nevermet said:

Somebody goes on a heroquest to create a Loper Light Cavalry unit.

Not sure who or why, but it happens.

I don't think that's so much a heretical Glorantha as a natural output of the unfolding Hero Wars in Pamaltela

Now, if you're going to make a Nose Loper Light Cavalry unit, that would be super-heretical.

ROLAND VOLZ

The end of every game of S.Petersen's The Gods War is a new heretical Glorantha!

I've played in games where Fronela ended submerged and Genertela was a vast salt marsh while the western seas were turned to Chaotic jelly...

to: the East is Red - the red of the Blood Moon that sits upon the Gates of Dawn and whose light illuminates the eastern world and the power of the Sun was pushed to the northern and southern margins of the world

to: a Glorantha where the Gates of Dawn were submerged by the seas, Storm ruled from Jrustela and across Pamaltela, while Chaos prepared for a final onslaught out of Kralorela and the Sea of Fog

to: a highly divided Glorantha where the Sky gods ruled Genertela, the Red Moon ruled Pamaltela, Darkness ruled the Gates of Dawn and Dusk, and the Malkioni held out in Brithos, Genert's Garden, and their sanctum in the depths of Hell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I am unsure whether the underlying idea is better as a "dumb theory" or as a schismatic lozenge, so here it is as the latter-

Namely, most Seshnegi who claim membership in leonine secret societies have little to no connection to Basmol, they're descended from Puma People and Basmol accepts them out of pity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

25 minutes ago, Eff said:

I am unsure whether the underlying idea is better as a "dumb theory" or as a schismatic lozenge, so here it is as the latter...

The ruling god of the True Glorantha is Gestetner - all others are but diminished copies, "different worlds" if you will, created from his body.  😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Some have seen this before but it's one of my favorites and belongs here. Showed up five years ago tucked into a WBRM left in a Texas storage unit. Its mysteries will probably always be its own unless someone remembers playing in that game. In that case, speak up!

(They're clickable.)

wbrm-a.thumb.png.41fcf52bbd2835574fc5805488d50806.pngwbrm-b.thumb.png.e95650d8b5ea642c5c236c11dc0f158c.png

Edited by scott-martin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

singer sing me a given

"For is not Cerebus [presumably Cerberus, but who knows] but a puppy before her?"

J'llaena will always have a home in my lozenges, I like the cut of her jib. 

• Thanks 1

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

My first (and only) attempt at a Gloranthan campaign was when I was 13. It was obvious to me I was not able to grasp the setting, and it upset me.

And then came the SpellJammer setting for AD&D... So, I had the idea to change my failed campaign into a successful "Space and Spells" one, and the PCs were abducted by extraterrestrial beings...

So, my "Glorantha" was in fact... a sphere... Yes, what a stupid idea... 😅

The campaign stopped right after the abduction, not because players didn't like that idea, but because they were 13 and others considered that RPGS were a childish hobby.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Eff said:

"For is not Cerebus [presumably Cerberus, but who knows] but a puppy before her?"

J'llaena will always have a home in my lozenges, I like the cut of her jib. 

I don't know. Cerebus has RQ stats! Cerebus was a puppy before a lot of people...

• Thanks 1

ROLAND VOLZ

I've been considering making up a deity of sound. Either sound as an element in itself, or maybe as a condition rune or something, I don't really pay too much attention to the runes, tbh. 

The question would be where they come into being (much like air, sound may have always been around, just not personified). My initial thought was to have them spawn off Umath's birth roar. But then sound would have been important in the Underworld, I'm guessing, so maybe that's their true origin. Maybe Umath pulled them up from the Underworld? 

As for worldly impact... A deity involved in the eventual creation of spoken language, and song and music, as well as having a hand in thunderclaps and animals roars and wave crashing, and whatnot. Sort of a sideline-yet-everywhere kinda deity-archetype, maybe a bit like the Talking God or the Knowing God, or the White Lady, etc. 

Also a fun way to introduce some sound-based shenanigans from the Elder Scrolls (tonal architecture, thu'um, etc.)

• Thanks 1