RQ genealogy

Nerun

Thanks for sharing that and making it available to others to use. Out of curiosity, why does Legend lead into OpenQuest 2? Does OpenQuest 2 use parts of Legend, and if so, what parts? I'm not questioning your accuracy, as I simply don't know. I've bought a PDF of OpenQuest, but I have only used it to reference specific bits and pieces. I haven't read it cover-to-cover yet (Which might not be a bad use of a long weekend ;) ). 

It's interesting how BRP and Runequest seem to have so little cross-fertilization. The only mentioned game that draws from both is GORE, and as I understand, it has seen little use due to the MRQ OGL. I'm actually surprised to see GORE came out a year later. In my imagined history, I thought GORE has a little time to itself before MRQ came along. 

• Like 1

Thank you.

Yes, OpenQuest 2 used some Legend open game content, but i don't know what exactly. Legend lead into OpenQuest 2 because it is cited in OGL's copyright notice (section 15). So i believe D101 Games used something from it.

Aboute GORE. Yeah, it was shared maybe less than one year after MRQ 1 SRD! And as i have noticed, GORE is closer to MRQ 1 than to BRP. GORE deserves a new edition, but i don't think that Goblinoid Games has interest on it anymore. And with Revolution d100 probably GORE will become obsolete soon.

Looks great, but WoW was not RQ and neither was BRP. If you're including these, then you'ld have to expand this to include CoC, Ringworld, ElfQuest, Elric/Stormbringer and MW I think.

But it's still good for tracking RQ.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Guest Vile Traveller
45 minutes ago, Mankcam said:

Looks great, but WoW was not RQ and neither was BRP.

As Nerun says, his chart records games derived from RQ, so BRP certainly counts. WoW is a BRP-derivative, so I wouldn't include it unless (as you say) other games like CoC are also added. That can explode pretty rapidly, though.

It would be cool if Chaosium could get an 'official' chart like this up on their website, at least for Chaosium products.

You all certainly saw Smirogan's flow chart: http://basicroleplaying.org/topic/4025-im-with-brp-any-edition/?do=findComment&comment=62421

Interesting to see how the two compare and contrast.

Cheers!

• Like 2

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

11 hours ago, Mankcam said:

Looks great, but WoW was not RQ and neither was BRP. If you're including these, then you'ld have to expand this to include CoC, Ringworld, ElfQuest, Elric/Stormbringer and MW I think.

But it's still good for tracking RQ.

I want to add CoC and all of others too. I just don't know too much about them yet.

When Stormbringer was first announced in a Chaosium catalog in 1981 it is described as "the young kingdoms comes to life in this RuneQuest based Roleplaying system." Call of Cthulhu was also described as "RuneQuest based, the game provides for lively quasi-modern fantasy horror role-playing." Thieves' World is described without a similar phrase, but it is notable that it is described between the the two games I just mentioned, and it says it is for the RuneQuest system right on the box cover.

• Like 2

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

13 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

When Stormbringer was first announced in a Chaosium catalog in 1981 it is described as "the young kingdoms comes to life in this RuneQuest based Roleplaying system." Call of Cthulhu was also described as "RuneQuest based, the game provides for lively quasi-modern fantasy horror role-playing." 

Absolutely true. And my chart had them correctly stemming straight from RQ2!

I'm very proud of it but I should redo the speculative future part of my chart because it is now outdated. I made it when it seemed that RQ Glorantha was going to be straight RQ6.

But first I have to recover the original file of the chart... I fear it was lost in a computer crash...

9 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

As noted by others, Stormbringer, Call of Cthulhu and Ringworld are all missing. Pendragon should be included because it included published RQ concepts (Personality Factors etc.) and unpublished RQ concepts.

Also add Chaosium's ElfQuest, the swedish Drakar och Demoner, FGU's Other Suns. Is Superworld part of this list already?

Telling how it is excessive verbis

14 hours ago, Joerg said:

Also add Chaosium's ElfQuest, the swedish Drakar och Demoner, FGU's Other Suns. Is Superworld part of this list already?

And Mark Smylie's Artesia RPG? Not a direct linkage, but the influence of RQ is apparent in the game and the comics.

Edited by M Helsdon

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2016 at 7:02 AM, Nerun said:

Thank you.

Yes, OpenQuest 2 used some Legend open game content, but i don't know what exactly. Legend lead into OpenQuest 2 because it is cited in OGL's copyright notice (section 15). So i believe D101 Games used something from it.

Aboute GORE. Yeah, it was shared maybe less than one year after MRQ 1 SRD! And as i have noticed, GORE is closer to MRQ 1 than to BRP. GORE deserves a new edition, but i don't think that Goblinoid Games has interest on it anymore. And with Revolution d100 probably GORE will become obsolete soon.

Legend was the name given to MRQ2 after Mongoose lost the Runequest license. I think Legend and MRQ2 are basically the same.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9.1.2016 at 5:45 PM, M Helsdon said:

And Mark Smylie's Artesia RPG? Not a direct linkage, but the influence of RQ is apparent in the game and the comics.

Rumour has it Smylie ran proto-Artesia with RQ, and chose to make the game with Fuzion because Fuzion was available and RQ ..was not.

Artesia was also a hot potato for the mystery-license when RQ6 was released. Sadly, that didn't come to fruition.

Also, where is Renaissance in the chart?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...