RQG Preview - excerpt from the GM Sourcebook and Rune Fixes #1

MOB

480542384_RuneFixesandCrystals.png.d63f206b1de1133261507768a1df0d48.png

Just shared to the RQG Preview List: an excerpt from the coming RuneQuest Gamemaster Sourcebook, and the first Rune Fixes, where we discuss and expand on aspects of the RuneQuest rules that need further clarification or play examples.

These we'll make public later (including here on BRP Central), but if you're on the preview list you see them first—sign up here: http://eepurl.com/dtqE9T 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thank you.

Would it be possible that the next episode of Rune Fixes perhaps include a fully detailed example of a combat?  Something pretty complicated so as to illustrate as many rules IN PLAY as possible, ie Vasana and a dual-wielding buddy vs three trollkin, one of whom opens the combat with missile fire and continues firing into melee, etc.?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, styopa said:

Thank you.

Would it be possible that the next episode of Rune Fixes perhaps include a fully detailed example of a combat?  Something pretty complicated so as to illustrate as many rules IN PLAY as possible, ie Vasana and a dual-wielding buddy vs three trollkin, one of whom opens the combat with missile fire and continues firing into melee, etc.?

Please please please...!

2 hours ago, styopa said:

Thank you.

That's on my to-do list, but it's a question of "get final edits into the Bestiary" and "push GM Pack through production" vs. writing a combat example. 

Once those two books are available via .pdf, my time frees up considerably. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for these previews.

I love that you can only attune one crystal at a time and that it takes a week to do so. I hope this means we won't be seeing RQ adventurers loaded up with 50 different magic items they can use. Although I know there are other magic items that don't require attunement, the fact they don't work once the owner dies is a good thing IMHO.

• Like 2

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

In the first paragraph of the Subduing section on p. 1 of Rune Fixes, "principle" should be "principal".

And the final paragraph on p. 2 looks as though it should be part of the third bullet above, since it deals with the flexible-weapon entangling Disarm case.

Coming soon: Rune Fixes Fixes! 🙂

Edited by trystero

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

24 minutes ago, Runeblogger said:

I love that you can only attune one crystal at a time and that it takes a week to do so. I hope this means we won't be seeing RQ adventurers loaded up with 50 different magic items they can use. Although I know there are other magic items that don't require attunement, the fact they don't work once the owner dies is a good thing IMHO.

Nothing new in fact: crystal chapter is straight from RQ2 (Classic), with just Xenohealing removed. No need to change what's fine anyway :-)

2 minutes ago, soltakss said:

It always used to be unenchanted iron, as enchanting iron takes away the penalty. I would expect the same to be true in RQG.

I thought so too but having seen it in RQ:G I thought it had changed. Looks like a typo. I'll add it to the list once the RQ:G correction thread re-opens. 

"Binding a Spirit: If one does not wish to put a bound spirit into an animal as a familiar, one must find or buy a spirit trapping crystal. Once a spirit has been bound within such a crystal, the POW of the spirit is available for the use of the binder."

MP, surely, not POW?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MOB said:
480542384_RuneFixesandCrystals.png.d63f206b1de1133261507768a1df0d48.png

Just shared to the RQG Preview List: an excerpt from the coming RuneQuest Gamemaster Sourcebook, and the first Rune Fixes, where we discuss and expand on aspects of the RuneQuest rules that need further clarification or play examples.

These we'll make public later (including here on BRP Central), but if you're on the preview list you see them first—sign up here: http://eepurl.com/dtqE9T 

Thanks for the "Fixes". To be fair, disarm and subduing at not really fixes but rather expansions. Would there be an opportunity to add such expansions in the GM Sourcebook in a "Combat options" chapter? In addition to disarm, subduing and an comprehensive combat example, I would like to see a closing maneuver (or change engagement range) where the wielder of a shorter weapon would try to get the advantage by slipping inside his opponent guard and the wielder of a longer weapon would try to reposition to stay at or regain optimal distance.

On 7/6/2018 at 9:05 AM, Runeblogger said:

Thanks for these previews.

It all depends on how you run it.  At least in RQ, magic items were super rare in my campaigns, aside from the basic stuff like battle magic foci-inscribed items. rune metal weapons and armor, and the occasional crystal.  (I'd progressed beyond Monty Haul in the D&D days.)  Most of my 'special items' were low- or no-powered things that gave flavor to the setting (mostly Prax, with the occasional side trip to Sartar, Pent, the Elder Wilds, and Dorastor).  See my entries in our little 'More Plunder' project for a representative distribution:

(Our friend @Sayerson created a nice little PDF with all our entries; the link is on the last page of the thread.  Unfortunately you can't tell who wrote what there; you have to scroll through the thread for that.)

Most of what would properly be classed 'magic items' of mine are one-of-a-kind.  The rest generally have very minor effects or are extrapolations of RW things.

Edited by Yelm's Light

10 hours ago, Yelm's Light said:

It all depends on how you run it.  At least in RQ, magic items were super rare in my campaigns, aside from the basic stuff like battle magic foci-inscribed items. rune metal weapons and armor, and the occasional crystal. 

I think as you posit is really supposed to be the canonical approach, but it's a funny juxtaposition: in D&D (PC) innate magical abilities are fundamentally rare and limited to magic using classes (ok that's become less so as editions advance) and everyone's got a sackful of +1 swords they aren't bothering to use).  In Glorantha, the world is INNATELY magical, with *tons* more magic at every level of society but simultaneously actual durable magic items are pretty rare.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2018 at 10:27 AM, DreadDomain said:

Thanks for the "Fixes". To be fair, disarm and subduing at not really fixes but rather expansions. Would there be an opportunity to add such expansions in the GM Sourcebook in a "Combat options" chapter? In addition to disarm, subduing and an comprehensive combat example, I would like to see a closing maneuver (or change engagement range) where the wielder of a shorter weapon would try to get the advantage by slipping inside his opponent guard and the wielder of a longer weapon would try to reposition to stay at or regain optimal distance.

I most certainly would support the close manouvering suggestion.

I am most unlikely to apply the "fix" re Extension - I am yet to be convinced that this is anything other than fix looking for a problem.

1 hour ago, Furry Fella said:

My concern is despite signing up I don't appear have got anything from this last set of announcements / previews??

Did you get the e-mail?

Actual content will all be in the Dropbox folder.

C'es ne pas un .sig

Reminds me of an anecdote from one of my early campaigns.  (I'll keep this derail short...)

One of the group was a ZZ initiate dark troll named Urgor who, shall we say, wasn't the brightest bulb in the box, and he'd wheedled a Terror Mask out of his mentor, who was a Death Priest.  Waving off the priest's words of warning, he wore it into combat for the first time.  Unfortunately, his opponent resisted, but his two trollkin followers didn't, and one of them ran through the fight, nearly getting its master and itself killed until Urgor booted it out of the way.  It ran off, never to be seen again, probably as a tasty morsel for some gorp.  (Everyone but his player had a good laugh.)  He was substantially more careful about its use after that.