Survey what do you most want for RQG?

Sumath

Survey - What do you most want from Chaosium next?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. What are you most looking forward to, or do you most need from Chaosium next for RQG?

• Gloranthan campaign/area sourcebooks e.g. Barbarian Town, Upland Marsh
    • Gloranthan scenario books e.g. easy-to-use scenarios that can be dropped into any campaign
    • Gloranthan rules supplements e.g. GMs book, sorcery rules expansion
    • Racial/cultural supplements e.g. Gods & Goddesses, Trollpak
    • Non-Gloranthan material e.g. Fantasy Earth
    • Game aids e.g. spell cards, miniatures, adventurers journal

HeroQuesting Rules, as that is an area that I am really interested in.

The order I would like these in is:

1. Gloranthan rules supplements e.g. GMs book, sorcery rules expansion
  2. Gloranthan campaign/area sourcebooks e.g. Barbarian Town, Upland Marsh
  3. Gloranthan scenario books e.g. easy-to-use scenarios that can be dropped into any campaign
  4. Racial/cultural supplements e.g. Gods & Goddesses, Trollpak
  5. Non-Gloranthan material e.g. Fantasy Earth
  6. Game aids e.g. spell cards, miniatures, adventurers journal
  • Like 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

4 minutes ago, soltakss said:

HeroQuesting Rules, as that is an area that I am really interested in.

I agree and have a feeling that will be a widely-held opinion, although in terms of what I need next for getting an RQG campaign off the ground (apart from hard copies of the bestiary and GM screen I've ordered) I've gone for campaign/area sourcebooks as my top choice, as these just make things so much easier for a GM. If the Heroquesting rules can come out in time fro when my players need them then that would be kushty.

First choice was campaign material, 2nd choice would be easy to insert scenarios.  If one does not want to/have time to write scenarios, all the cult books,  and rule addendums are useless, as there is nothing to use them on!  Lack of playable campaigns and scenarios was certainly why I and our RQ Group ceased playing RQ back in the RQ2/3 days.  Borderlands/ Griffin Mountain, Pavis etc were all excellent, just too few and far between to support a regular weekly RQ group.

i confess that I hope that any HeroQuest rules can operate as stand alone, as I was was not interested in that concept in RQ 2/3 days, and, subject to seeing how it is handled, may never happen in any of my games!

Edited by Mac
Add on
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mac said:

Lack of playable campaigns and scenarios was certainly why I and our RQ Group ceased playing RQ back in the RQ2/3 days.

Yeah, I remember that (and milking old campaign material for everything it was worth), and I'm really hoping that Chaosium get to a point fairly quickly with RQG similar to Call of Cthulhu, where there is new content coming out every few months (and also from other publishers).

• Like 3

We all seem to have differing needs, but IMHO, if RQG is not to suffer the “lack of playable content” trap which has killed RQ and over the past decades has seriously damaged other RPGs, the publishing schedule should be about 3 campaign/scenarios publications for every 1 cult/god/ rules addendum publications.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mac said:

We all seem to have differing needs, but IMHO, if RQG is not to suffer the “lack of playable content” trap which has killed RQ and over the past decades has seriously damaged other RPGs, the publishing schedule should be about 3 campaign/scenarios publications for every 1 cult/god/ rules addendum publications.  

Closer to 2.5:1 but that is close enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I'll probably buy anything that Chaosium publish for RQG right now, but I was interested in what matters most to people. Could have made it a multiple-choice question, but then people would just choose everything and that doesn't tell you anything useful.

41 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Closer to 2.5:1 but that is close enough.

Frequency of releases will be just as important as the ratio IMHO, so the question is will we get to a point where there's enough writers/artists working on RQG to produce regular new content (e.g. every quarter)? 

• Like 2

Cults and Gamemaster's/sorcery books are top imo.

Anything to do with character creation is the most important part of RQ, it's what makes the players get invested in their characters and love the game.

Also, our GM is amazing and doesn't really need scenario material as he makes up his own adventures by mixing a bunch of different ones from various games... Probably from fear of us having read some of them. 

Edited by gochie

1 hour ago, drablak said:

Not on the list but I'd really like Jason (or someone else) to put some effort on answering the many questions still unanswered.  

Seeing as we only have two thirds of the rules I would have to vote for the rest of the rules We need the Gamemaster's Book next of course. After that alas Drablak is correct, RuneQuestions as well as s good up to date errata sheet.

After that, Cults. I have heard it often said that RQ did not really take off in many people's imaginings until Cults of Prax  came out and gave colour and pageantry to the game.

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

1 hour ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Seeing as we only have two thirds of the rules I would have to vote for the rest of the rules We need the Gamemaster's Book next of course. After that alas Drablak is correct, RuneQuestions as well as s good up to date errata sheet.

Yes I voted for that as well (GM book, etc.), but I'm not buying anything more until I'm convinced I'll actually play the game. It's my hope that once the current writing marathon they're doing leaves them more free time they can spend some of it on things to help newcomers.

I voted for the scenario books. When I first started RPG's having 32page scenario books was a key driver in which game I played. I wrote my own adventures too but I earned a lot by reading the published ones. Also they were affordable and sustained a prolonged relationship. 

The GM pack's scenarios wonderfully illustrate a range of NPC's, homesteads and landscapes. I also think they would provide a great opportunity to allow writers to flesh out some regions without the need for a fully fledged source book. 

• Like 2

I think my preferred format would be campaign/region books that contain at least several scenarios. The old Big Rubble and Pavis campaigns were great in that they introduced GMs and players to the region and then followed up with a set series of scenarios that could be dropped Into a campaign. Ideally The supplement would also contain a series of scenario hooks that the GM could flesh out on their own as well.

Edited by Wolfpack48
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I ended up not voting, because...

1) As I considered it, I realized my preference wouldn't settle; first this, then that, then another.

2) As I considered it, I realized my opinion didn't matter:  Chaosium will bring them out in the order they do, regardless of a few dozen opinions online (also, to a certain extent, Chaosium's opinion has to bow before the vagaries of creative inspiration & creative block, such as when the RQGcore deities sent Jeff on creative tear through 2/3 of "God's and Goddesses," a year(ish) ahead of schedule).

3) As I considered it, I realized that I trusted Chaosium's judgement of what to produce, and in what order, as likely better than mine (or than any other fans here; they have proved at MoonDesign and at Chaosium that they have a rare mix of gaming esthetics and business sense).

• Like 7

C'es ne pas un .sig

All of them are good ideas, but if we are to bring RQG to a wider public we have to give them more to do than just read more rules. We need scenarios, stat blocks, quests, adventures. The next thing we need is more info on Sorcery. As I see it, those are the two biggest needs at this stage of the process.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, g33k said:

I ended up not voting, because...

1) As I considered it, I realized my preference wouldn't settle; first this, then that, then another.

2) As I considered it, I realized my opinion didn't matter:  Chaosium will bring them out in the order they do, regardless of a few dozen opinions online (also, to a certain extent, Chaosium's opinion has to bow before the vagaries of creative inspiration & creative block, such as when the RQGcore deities sent Jeff on creative tear through 2/3 of "God's and Goddesses," a year(ish) ahead of schedule).

3) As I considered it, I realized that I trusted Chaosium's judgement of what to produce, and in what order, as likely better than mine (or than any other fans here; they have proved at MoonDesign and at Chaosium that they have a rare mix of gaming esthetics and business sense).

Thank you!

@g33k I agree with your third point, but am yes/no on your second. Like many modern companies, Chaosium seem to be very interested in what their customers have to say, and do respond (on these forums, on Facebook, at conventions, via Dustin's emails etc). That's not to say that their release schedule will be influenced by a handful of gamers' opinions, and I wouldn't take this survey too seriously - it was intended to gauge what others were excited about in Chaosium's pipeline, and it's been interesting to read opinions on that.

The amount of time that Chaosium spend responding to their customers is actually pretty impressive when you consider how much they have going on right now. They are a business, but one made up of games enthusiasts who are a part of the role playing community. So, yeah, I'd say our opinions matter in that respect.

• Like 1

I could only choose one, but these were my preferences if I could of chose more:

1. Gloranthan Cults and Racial/Cultural supplements 
  2. Gloranthan campaign/area sourcebooks  
  3. Gloranthan scenario books e.g. easy-to-use scenarios that can be dropped into any campaign

The other stuff I really wouldn't want to see taking up prioritities. For me, game aids feel a bit gimicky; I don't see call for many new rules; and I'm not really here for the non-Gloranthan material (I am likely to stick with Mythras for that)

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 2

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

While I picked the rules supplements like the GMs book and Socrery supliment, cultural books and campaign settings would be very helpful, especially since I own 3 of the Gloranthan Classics Beyond Borderlands, Griffin Mountain, and Pavis and Big Rubble, I feel Dragon Pass the Core setting is hilariously underdeveloped for the average player, mean while Prax  feels like the true default setting.

• Like 1