Enter a Podcast of Wonder

Bill the barbarian

@g33k

don't think the CC is right, though.  In the Great Darkness, Daka Fal taught the Tribes how to separate the Living from the Dead, how to send the ghosts on their way to the afterlife.  These ways are well known throughout Prax!

But while the CC may be trying to do something "for the greater good" (...)

Oh, I did not mean that it is right or even less that they would act for the Greater good. I would envision their relation to the enclave as a kind of blacmail-ish things, "let us do our thing or else the hungry ghost would pullulate"; something along these lines. And yes, Daka Fal priests would object, but I see them much more as outsiders from the culture of the Big Rubble enclaves. It could be a good story seed to pit an enclave against the necessity to chose between allowing the CC's activities and allowing the nomads and their Dakal Fal priest into the Rubble.

12 minutes ago, coffeemancer said:

If you guys ever need ideas for episode topics I'd love an episode on the artistic depiction of Glorantha through the ages, from the tabletop game cover and RPG books to the video games.

Ooh I would love to do that! I have been trying to get my compatriots to find their their inner art curators and let them out. Ii is an incredible challenge bringing art to life in an aural medium, but as I have said a few times the wonderful art shows found on CBC radio prove it can be done.... 

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

1 hour ago, coffeemancer said:

If you guys ever need ideas for episode topics I'd love an episode on the artistic depiction of Glorantha through the ages, from the tabletop game cover and RPG books to the video games.

And the wild Japanese art that it got back in the day.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

And the wild Japanese art that it got back in the day.

Are you referring to "Land of the Ninja"? If so, alas, that would be a little out of our area of Glorantha. Though, I suppose I could say a word about it here, couldn’t I? The great mischievous Eurmalian style character on page 8 of the Players Book rocks, you just know he is thinking of ways of tweaking someone’s nose,  Love the centre spread in the same book with the Shinto (?) monks at worship! So serious, so serene, so filled with... the  wonder of the myriad of gods..? Best of all is the marginalia spread though out, just little vignettes of everyday life in the land under the Rising Sun. Just the kind of thing to inspire players and GMs alike!

Of course you might not have been talking about that at all, but you still put a bee in my bonnet and made me pull Land of the Ninja down from my shelf for a little fan boy loving so, mistake or not, thank you! So if not "Land of the Ninja" good Sir_Godspeed, what were you thinking of?

Edited by Bill the barbarian

52 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Are you referring to "Land of the Ninja"? If so, alas, that would be a little out of our area of Glorantha. Though, I suppose I could say a word about it here, couldn’t I? The great mischievous Eurmalian style character on page 8 of the Players Book rocks, you just know he is thinking of ways of tweaking someone’s nose,  Love the centre spread in the same book with the Shinto (?) monks at worship! So serious, so serene, so filled with... the gods..? Best of all is the marginalia spread though out, just little vignettes of everyday life in the land under the Rising Sun. Just the kind of thing to inspire players and GMs alike!

Of course you might not have been talking about that at all, but you still put a bee in my bonnet and made me pull Land of the Ninja down from my shelf for a little fan boy loving so, mistake or not, thank you! So if not "Land of the Ninja" good Sir_Godspeed, what were you thinking of?

Probably the covers for the japanese translations of runequest/heroquest. Those are pretty cool

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, coffeemancer said:

Probably the covers for the japanese translations of runequest/heroquest. Those are pretty cool

This. 

I mean, look at something like this, for example. It's mind-blowing. 

01002492210.jpg

The above makes me think of certain French or even Eastern European artists, so it might not be natively Japanese, but it appeared in a Japanese edition, so I have no idea.

There is of course the more "typical" manga-esque art as well.

I understand if there's not that much to explain for you guys if all of this was done in-house by Japanese licencees apart from Chaosium/Issaries/Whoever, but hey, if it's possible, it would be a fun thing to include.

Edited by Sir_Godspeed
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

I understand if there's not that much to explain for you guys if all of this was done in-house by Japanese lincencees apart from Chaosium/Issaries/Whoever, but hey, if it's possible, it would be a fun thing to include.

Holy Cr@p, Batman, that’s incredible! Beats the hell out of AL 1 and though I like Quack John on AL 2’s cover that blows it out of the water. Whiteye, I assume that is Whiteye, looks terrifying! Well, the internet is wonderful, might be worth a look around.

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

I mean, look at something like this, for example. It's mind-blowing.

Woah nice. Do you have more? I can't find much info on japanese versions of RQ material (if you can, you could upload those covers to RPGGeek).

AFAICT the artist might be Takuhito Kusanagi, who sadly doesn't seem to be very searchable on the web. Hard to tell if it's a different Kusanagi or not but he might have been involved in the art department of various famous anime like Gundam, Lodoss, etc. He has an artbook called "Innocence" that doesn't seem to be sold anywhere online, but that contains some other very-Gloranthan-looking paintings.

• Thanks 3

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

Well, I'm just going off google on this, but I found a few things: 

Here's a Spanish-language blog that seems to have delved into the topic before. It appears quite comprehensive, but I haven't translated the text and read it, so I don't know how much it explains or adds, but there's a ton of a covers there, at least: 

https://elruneblog.blogspot.com/2017/10/runequest-y-heroquest-en-japon.html 

And as @lordabdul suggested, it appears indeed that the art is by Takuhito Kusanagi. Here's one more from an online gallery of his, which has some that seem to be from Glorantha and others not: 

131931@2x.jpg

https://arthive.com/artists/7701~Takuhito_Kusanagi/works 

Also here are a couple that I believe are by him, but that do not appear elsewhere: 

dscf2608.jpgtumblr_n5scm6fedt1rs6hqwo1_400.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, Lysus said:

To be clear, El Runeblog is a bilingual blog, but unfortunately for us English speakers, this happens to be one of the posts in Spanish.

Feel free to ask me any questions if the translation gadget on the right margin leaves you dumbfounded. 🙂

(Although surely one of the Japanese members of this forum would be the person to ask).

I would love to publish all my posts in both languages BTW, but the amount of work would just be too much!  😇

Edited by Runeblogger
  • Thanks 1

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

2 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Here's a Spanish-language blog that seems to have delved into the topic before. It appears quite comprehensive, but I haven't translated the text and read it, so I don't know how much it explains or adds, but there's a ton of a covers there, at least: 

Ah, good ol’ RuneBlogger, have done a considerable amount of work with of late. Love his stuff

And as @lordabdul suggested, it appears indeed that the art is by Takuhito Kusanagi.

That’s our founder and resident art geek proving he is worth twice what we pay him (at the very least, bravo lordabdul, sir! Incroyable!)

Here's one more from an online gallery of his, which has some that seem to be from Glorantha and others not: 

Speaking of incredible!

8 minutes ago, Runeblogger said:

Feel free to ask me any questions if the translation gadget on the right margin leaves you dumbfounded. 🙂

This is pretty slick but let me translate this into Macintoshese from the PCheese it is written in (yes, yes, barbarians are all computer bilingual... at least) On a Mac, the translation doohickey (i believe this is the scientific term, am I right Jörg?) is on the top left (the options doohickey is on the right).

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 8.49.19 AM.png

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Runeblogger said:

(Although surely one of the Japanese members of this forum would be the person to ask).

I would love to publish all my posts in both languages BTW, but the amount of work would just be too much!  😇

Oh dear, I didn't recognize that it was your blog. Still, that's purely a good thing that it is! :P

• Haha 1

If you are wondering what all they published:

Hobby Japan (RQ3)

849       1988     Dragon Pass (wargame)
857-HJ1 1990     RuneQuest Screen Set
85711                Gloranthan Bestiary
85712                Apple Lane
85713    1990     Snake Pipe Hollow
85714    1990     RuneQuest Cities
8573     1994     Monster Coliseum
8577     1990     Gods of Glorantha
8578     1991     Griffin Island
8579     1988     RuneQuest Basic Rules
8579-1   1988     RuneQuest Advanced Set
              1989     RuneQuest Companion
8585     1989     Glorantha: Genertela
8586     1993     Trollpak
8588     1990     Elder Secrets
8590     1993     Sun County
8591     1993     River of Cradles
            1992     RuneQuest 90s (3rd ed.)
            1993     Dragon Atlas
            1994     King of Sartar

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

Hey Rick, just so you do not think we are ghosting you, we are figuring out how to do interviews both technically and quality wise. Once we are up to speed, we will be calling in that marker, good sir! First off, we will be practicing on interviewing Jörg and if we can pull that off...

Cheers

• Like 1

Is it okay if I post here about new releases of Dayzatarin tähtien alla, too? I know most of you can't listen to it but just to keep the podcasting hype up. And thanks for the shoutout , Wind Words. @Joerg did great job with the pronunciation. We advertised your podcast in our latest episode.

Here it is:
https://anchor.fm/dayzatar/episodes/Jakso-3---Issariesin-kuiskauksia-ja-HeroQuest-Glorantha-ecet1t

Edit: Oh, our topic was HeroQuest Glorantha.

Edited by jrutila
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, jrutila said:

Is it okay if I post here about new releases of Dayzatarin tähtien alla, too? I know most of you can't listen to it but just to keep the podcasting hype up.

Sure, keep us informed. And I imagine that we might want to compare notes or talk shop about producing a podcast sometime in the future.

And thanks for the shoutout , Wind Words. @Joerg did great job with the pronunciation. We advertised your podcast in our latest episode.

Here it is:
https://anchor.fm/dayzatar/episodes/Jakso-3---Issariesin-kuiskauksia-ja-HeroQuest-Glorantha-ecet1t

Issaries' whispers and HeroQuest Glorantha?

Edit: Oh, our topic was HeroQuest Glorantha.

As the person tasked with our show notes, I know how much work goes into the transcripts. A complete transcript is an annoying thing to do, and to translate that into another language... no thank you.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

23 hours ago, jrutila said:

Is it okay if I post here about new releases of Dayzatarin tähtien alla, too? I know most of you can't listen to it but just to keep the podcasting hype up. And thanks for the shoutout , Wind Words. @Joerg did great job with the pronunciation. We advertised your podcast in our latest episode.

Sure, two podcasts of wonder for the price of one.

Woohoo!