Plaines of Prax?

Nick Brooke

1 hour ago, Nick Brooke said:

How do we feel about this spelling, team? Quaintly retro, or a spurious affectation?

Whimsical 60s/70s game designer using weird sounding names, although still in print with WFs is corrected in the Guide... 

eg. Sultan / Satrap - you know what the right thing to do is...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

22 minutes ago, Lysus said:

Affected misspellings are one of the quickest ways to my ignore list on a lot of forums, so I don't care for it at all.

Well, aren't WE special? 😜

• Haha 1

I'm fine with it. 

Personally, I find that different spellings of words add flavour to a document. I use capital letters far too often, for example. Some people use different spelling of words to give them emphasis or make them stand out.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

If the plains of Prax had been something obscure and "exotic", then using an artificially archaic name would have made since, but considering that Prax is next door to the areas most players will find themselves in, "exotifying" it seems odd and unnecessary.

At the time though, the whole world was exotic...

1747277940_TheGreaterLunarEmpire.thumb.png.6467cd1bfde67f981af57e4e82612b56.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

2 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:

Wow, that's...very Tolkein-esque.

It's one of my favorite Glorantha maps.  What you would expect scholars in the Lunar Empire to have produced vs. those LM scholars in Jonstown who think the world centers on Dragon Pass.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

It's one of my favorite Glorantha maps.  What you would expect scholars in the Lunar Empire to have produced vs. those LM scholars in Jonstown who think the world centers on Dragon Pass.

In defense of the map, everything in the late-60s through the '70s was very Tolkein-esque.  The map of Middle Earth in LotR was a gold standard for fantasy cartography.  I'm pretty sure I can dig up the one of my own that I drew in 7th-8th grade.

I do like the early focus on the Lunar Empire.  I also love the 6-point compass rose -- that slipped my notice at first glance.

!i!

• Like 2

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

6 minutes ago, Oracle said:

What the ... 💥

From where and when is this map?

It sits proudly in the White Bear and Red Moon rules, p.47 (in glorious red letters on top of brown ink map on mostly white paper).

(I guess Rick might be able to tell what edition my copy of the rules is from with these details... I only ever got the rule booklet, at Tentacles 98, and had it signed by Greg there and then.)

Edited by Joerg

Telling how it is excessive verbis

1 hour ago, Ian Absentia said:

The map of Middle Earth in LotR was a gold standard for fantasy cartography.  I'm pretty sure I can dig up the one of my own that I drew in 7th-8th grade.

Still is, I'd reckon. 

Unless one has very specific opinions about cartography, I suppose.

• Like 1

Back to the actual matter at hand...

9 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

How do we feel about this spelling, team? Quaintly retro, or a spurious affectation?

Depends on the context.  If written "in character," with similar affectations, go hog wild.  For added character, I recommend replacing all lowercase "s" with "f", and all "z" with "s" -- I reckon you're already halfway there.

!i!

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

10 hours ago, Joerg said:

It sits proudly in the White Bear and Red Moon rules, p.47 (in glorious red letters on top of brown ink map on mostly white paper).

We might mention that WB&RM's entire board game also features a rotated map where the north is pointing to the right, actually. Although I believe it was rotated back with north pointing up for the later "Dragon Pass" edition of that game.

I really like the idea that different cultures might represent the world with different styles and orientations of maps... I would love to see (or make!) "in-world" maps, with Lunar maps being widely different from Esrolian or Praxian maps.

As for the OP.... what @Kloster said!

Edited by lordabdul
  • Like 2

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

2 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

... I would love to see (or make!) "in-world" maps, with Lunar maps being widely different from Esrolian or Praxian maps.

I would expect (not having seen any) all Lunar maps to show one of two things:  the Crater (and thus the Red Moon itself) in the center, or (if it's off the edge of the map) the Crater being the "North" for that map.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig