RuneQuest: Role-Playing in Glorantha first impressions

Dethstrok9

11 hours ago, Dethstrok9 said:

Is Glorantha difficult to run? Like, do I need to play it before I can really run it? Or would my jumping right into running a game work?

I think it really depends on how you're introduced to it.

My experience with Glorantha surely differs from others here, as I started with the french edition of RQ3, based on translations of Avalon Hill boxed sets. The approach was very encyclopedic and global, and provided a lot of informations on areas of the world I was not interested in, and very few useful details on the area where I wanted to play. I tried to do a Gloranthan campaign, but it was obvious I couldn't grab the setting with what I had available.

Surely, RQG is a far better entry point.

2 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Poor Dethstrok. He dipped one foot in and y'all pulled him down like a swarm of sirens! 😁

I think people were being constructive and helpful.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

17 hours ago, g33k said:

(so I guess this must have been in Wisconsin?)

Greg went to school in Beloit, WI which is only a hop, skip, and a jump from Lake Geneva. It makes sense that he'd have friends still in the area even after he had graduated and moved to California.

3 hours ago, soltakss said:

I think people were being constructive and helpful.

You all definitely are, I've taken some time to read through the first book and had a couple other questions, but I just noticed the other forum titled RuneQuest. Would my questions be better suited to that sub forum or should I just ask em here?

• Like 1

-Voice of the Legion

13 minutes ago, Dethstrok9 said:

You all definitely are, I've taken some time to read through the first book and had a couple other questions, but I just noticed the other forum titled RuneQuest. Would my questions be better suited to that sub forum or should I just ask em here?

If you have RQ-mechanical questions, the RQ forum will get lots of attention.

If it's really a Glorantha-setting question -- independent of game-mechanics -- you might get a slightly-broader audience in the forum for Glorantha specifically.

• Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

6 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Poor Dethstrok. He dipped one foot in and y'all pulled him down like a swarm of sirens! 😁

<shrug>

It's Glorantha, man!   Whachagonnado?  Sometimes the sirens just get ya.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, g33k said:
2 hours ago, Dethstrok9 said:

If you have RQ-mechanical questions, the RQ forum will get lots of attention.

If it's really a Glorantha-setting question -- independent of game-mechanics -- you might get a slightly-broader audience in the forum for Glorantha specifically

There is a big grey area between RuneQuest and Glorantha.

One the one hand, some things are clearly rules-based and should be in the RuneQuest forum, some things are clearly setting-based and should be in the Glorantha Forum.

However, a lot of things are rulesey but also setting-dependant. For example. the thread on Cultural Weapons covers rules (What skills does an adventurer get from a Homeland) and setting (Why does a Sartarite get Battle Axe, short Spear and Broadsword).

What I would do is make a stab at which forum a question should be in and post it there. Certain people might complain about it being in the wrong forum, but ignore them (Unless it's me, in which case pay attention 😀)

• Like 5

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy to report that two members of my family and I did a two and a half hour Runequest: Roleplaying in Glorantha character creation session yesterday. I'm running The Broken Tower quick start scenario tonight. Since there's only three of us, I'll be playing an NPC from the character created yesterday. 

Back to the topic of this thread, "first impressions." The two players loved the depth of the RQG character creation process and were amazed that

• Starting characters had lots of powerful abilities (Rune magic, Passions, Spirit Magic, skills) that 1st level D&D characters don't have
  • Everyone is able to use magic, unlike D&D classes
  • Characters fit into a society - a family, a clan, a tribe, a cult, with runic and god associations that bring meaning to their lives. They're not "murder hoboes" like in D&D.

They're excited about starting the game tonight.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

We started the game and it was extremely fun. We made a few mistakes during combats, such as allowing more actions (mis-calculated strike ranks to reload a self bow, for instance) or allowing mixed actions (magical and melee attacks) in the same round, but we fixed it along the way. We're not new to RPGs, but just new to Runequest.

We played through The Broken Tower quick start and made it last 4 game sessions! Mainly because we only played 1.5 to 2 hours each night, and also because I extended the encounter with Carthalo and interspersed bits of Glorantha mythology and the Runes during his frantic and mad dialog with the PCs. The first session was also used so that I could add in details about the tribal and clan structure of Orlanthi/Sartarite society. This really helped to set the mood with my players.

I played an NPC which I created during our character creation session, but didn't provide too much in the way of hints during the sessions. This allowed my teenaged sons to do all of the roleplaying. 

THE BROKEN TOWER Quick Start scenario SPOILER AHEAD.... (Highlight quote to see the white text)

I was very impressed during the last session when the PCs were in the Broken Tower on the trail of Danakos. They didn't notice him hiding behind a pile of rubble, but took time to observer the sacrificial scene and the 12m tall statue of Idrima. After two rounds of combat one of my sons suggested that they attempt to bargain with Idrima when she asked for an offering. The other son wanted to continue to fight and try to destroy her. They had a brief argument during the third round of combat and the one who suggested they bargain with her won. He then offered some of the herd. All said, the encounter ended successfully. They were able to subdue Danakos and use him for ransom, gain reputation and glory within their tribe.

I've purchased the Pegasus Plateau and will probably look at those adventures next. I've not started reading any of them yet.

I also have the Game Master Pack, and while I like the scenarios, I think that the Apple Lane one (which reminds me of a Gloranthan Seven Samurai) will be overpowering for 2-3 PCs. I may use that one if we have some other players join us via a Virtual Table Top (VTT). I've proposed it to my regular gaming group (we've switched some of our games to online) and two out of 8 have expressed interest in RQG. 

I may start a discussion thread asking for tips on running RQG via a VTT. 

I'm thrilled that I'm finally playing/running Runequest, a game I've wanted to play for decades! My goal would be to have a group of 8-9 players in an ongoing campaign; maybe 5-6 regular players and a few others that are able to make it irregularly.

• Like 5

On 6/2/2020 at 10:44 AM, borbetomagnus said:

I'm thrilled that I'm finally playing/running Runequest, a game I've wanted to play for decades! My goal would be to have a group of 8-9 players in an ongoing campaign; maybe 5-6 regular players and a few others that are able to make it irregularly.

Awesome, it's really fun! I recently ran for the first time (with my immediate family) and we all had a blast! 

8-9 players! You are an experienced GM then, I could likely never handle that many...

• Like 2

-Voice of the Legion

16 hours ago, Dethstrok9 said:

Awesome, it's really fun! I recently ran for the first time (with my immediate family) and we all had a blast! 

8-9 players! You are an experienced GM then, I could likely never handle that many...

I think it's great when family games together. This first session I GMed was with my sons.

Did you run a published adventure, or create one of your own? How many players did you have?

- - - - 

I'm not a experienced Runequest GM, but I started playing RPGs in the early 80s and have GMed a wide variety of games since then. I'm used to large groups of players. During the 90s I had a regular weekly gaming group which consisted of 7-9 consistent players, and on occasion when we one of us visitors from out of town we could go up one or two more players. I recall one session with a total of 12 players (including GM).

And during that time I ran an AD&D 2nd edition Dark Sun campaign every other Friday for a year and a half. Dark Sun is a complex setting to game master since it includes psionics along with the standard D&D combat options - magic spells, priestly spells, melee, missile combat.

I do have interest from a couple new players for a RQG campaign and hope to get at least 2-3 more from my current gaming group. I may open it up to others to fill in group.

21 hours ago, borbetomagnus said:

I think it's great when family games together. This first session I GMed was with my sons.

Did you run a published adventure, or create one of your own? How many players did you have?

Mother, Father, and my older younger sister:) I ran a one-shot I created based on the brief lore given on the Dragon Rise.

• Like 1

-Voice of the Legion

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2020 at 8:33 AM, Dethstrok9 said:

Hello my friends, I am officially the proud owner of the RuneQuest: Role-Playing in Glorantha Slipcase Set! Woohoo!!!

What follows is a brief summary of what I like so far from just a quick flip through, and my unboxing and first impressions video (more Gloranthan? content to come). 

Hey mate, I'll open by saying that your unboxing video pushed me over the edge and I finally bought the physical copy of the game (the slipcase and the Glorantha Sourcebook actually) so kudos to you!

I've had the PDFs since they were out so I knew what to expect but the physical products are nonetheless stunning. I'd say they easily come as my second best looking RPG book (I'd say The Dark Eye books still come first).

The Bestiary looks good. My only minor nitpick is that I generally like to have more art in a Bestiary but the art in there is great.

I was also pleasantly surprised by the GM Pack. The GM shield is really sturdy and solid and the maps are looking really really good. I noticed the Dragon Pass map looks much better full size they it does in the Core book.

I am not exactly fond of the black cover/yellow back cover of the Glorantha Sourcebook (I prefer the style of the RQG book) but inside the book is really stunning. It really brings (central) Glorantha to life.

Quite happy with it all.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

My next step in "campaigning" RQG with my gaming group is to run The Broken Tower with interested players. I'll permit players to create characters, as I did with my family when I ran The Broken Tower (see my prior post in this discussion thread), or they can play one of the pre-generated characters. I originally scheduled to run The Broken Tower at this year's DragonCon convention, but since it's essentially canceled (there are some online events happening), I can focus my energy on my regular gaming group. My hope is that after experiencing RQG through this quick start adventure some of the players will want to continue with an ongoing campaign. At least two member of my gaming group have expressed interest in a RQG campaign so that's at least 4 players. I'll take 4 regular players, but it'd be wonderful if I can get more of them invested in a RQG campaign. I'll also permit occasional players to join in sessions when they're able if they can't commit to an ongoing campaign. I think this is reasonable, and I can fit them into the story somehow throughout the campaign.

Edited by borbetomagnus
updated link to my prior post

• 1 month later...

Hello everybody, First post here

I'm trying to start a group new to RQ and I'm preparing the broken tower to play in Roll20. I'm trying to prepare handouts and combat maps for the different scenes but I'm pretty new to VTTs. Any recommendation on wich tool to use for the maps like the one in the tower?

I could just give the map in the book as a handout but I want them to explore it before they know the whole layout of the ruins. Recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Pablo

PD: I know I will try to make a proper presentation post in the future

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Losky said:

Roll20

I've never used Roll20.

However, my approach has been to copy maps etc. from the pdfs.  Edit in paint to remove bits for the GM only.  Then (for face to face sessions) print and cover bits the players haven't seen yet with bits of paper.

For remote (using Teams or Skype has worked for me), its the same, but I copy the map into powerpoint, and cover with shapes, which I gradually remove as the player progress.  That's been working very well, and may become my preferred method in face to face (when that happens again one day).

The superb artwork from the HQinG range has been a huge help.  I'm extracting lots of stuff from the PDFs to show the players...

• Like 1

Welcome @Losky.  You may have already seen these, but there are player versions of the maps for the Broken Tower available here.  These remove most of the locations which will enable/force your players to explore.

Also if you're not already, make sure you use the character sheet for Runequest available within Roll 20 - it's excellent.

Have fun.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Westnovote said:

Welcome @Losky.  You may have already seen these, but there are player versions of the maps for the Broken Tower available here.  These remove most of the locations which will enable/force your players to explore.

Thanks for the welcome. I did have those maps.

What my trouble is in general is trying to "plan" the adventure. When in person whenever an encounter is possible I would just get a plastic foil with a grid on it and start to draw mayor features of the terrain with lots of improvisation. Here I feel I have to plan more ahead of time. If there is a possibility of the players are getting in combat with the SPRUL-PA while deciphering the labyrinth of the ruins surrounding the broken tower then I fell I have to prepare is as a map for Roll20 (or not)... I know I cant plan for everything but I'm undecided about this

12 hours ago, Westnovote said:

Also if you're not already, make sure you use the character sheet for Runequest available within Roll 20 - it's excellent.

Yes... one of the thing I'm doing in the meanwhile is precharging the adventurers sheets there

8 hours ago, Losky said:

If there is a possibility of the players are getting in combat with the SPRUL-PA while deciphering the labyrinth of the ruins surrounding the broken tower then I fell I have to prepare is as a map for Roll20

I recommend you register for a free Pelgrane Press Bookshelf account. Then you can download all the maps they prepared for a year of their 13th Age Organised Play adventures, and the adventures themselves, for free
I’ve been using those maps for all my Roll20 games for years now. 
My advice on preparing for combat in Roll20 games is that combats happen only when you are prepared. I structure my adventures in scenes, and fighting happens only in a fight scene. The fight scene starts when the map changes and the Tracker appears. 

• Like 1

@Scotty - Any chance to get those maps in player-handout format?

1. No key on Broken Tower map.
  2. All the numbered circles gone from the Broken Tower map.
  3. "Adventure Markers" and "Adventure Path" gone from both the key, and the map itself, for the broader region-view.

In general, I (as a GM) would rather have cool art to hand out to players, than have to keep it to myself because it gives away plot elements...

And, in general, that would be VERY much appreciated as a standard for RQG going forward...

Edited by g33k
  • Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig