Premiering this Saturday: THE WHITE BULL CAMPAIGN, RuneQuest Roleplaying in Glorantha actual play, on Chaosium Twitch

MOB

Oh I was under the impression that this campaign had already happened and that the recordings were going to be posted on YouTube. Was I mistaken? Or is this a second Chaosium campaign that will be broadcast live? Or is it on Twitch but it's not live?

Either way, I'm looking forward to it!

• Like 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

On 7/9/2020 at 6:36 AM, MOB said:

Premiering this Saturday: THE WHITE BULL CAMPAIGN, RuneQuest Roleplaying in Glorantha actual play, on Chaosium Twitch!

The poster says 10 am GMT... would that be the old Greenwich Mean Time? What they call UTC nowadays?

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

1 hour ago, Bill the barbarian said:

The poster says 10 am GMT... would that be the old Greenwich Mean Time? What they call UTC nowadays?

Twitch uses GMT, look at the schedule in your account. It calculates your time zone for you. It tells me for example  I'm on GMT+1 BST. Turn on the channel notifications and it will remind you by email or what ever you need. Depending on your twitch platform it will often let you add it directly to your diary.

• Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Great artwork!

One of our players is working on some fun cartoonish artwork for our campaign.  He's a techie, mainly playing with some 3D modelling / rendering SW, definitely not an artist, and it shows.  But it's still fun to see and a few images turned out pretty good.  (check out us teleporting onto the back of Yezrum Storn here:  https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/726878099416940614/728756994495873094/Page_4.jpg

One thing he has struggled with is how much armor to put on the players.  Less certainly looks better, more "actiony", but sometimes it feels a bit unrealistic.  We've gone more and more with "less".

Glad to see your excellent artist agrees - less is more!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kr0p0s said:

I have subscribed through Amazon Prime to the chaosiuminc feed after the live feed. It seems I cant watch the session. Is it not recorded?

20 hours ago, Balakatun said:

Well, same, I was hoping I would be able to catch that video in the morning but it says it's exclusive to subscribers...hope it was a mistake that will soon be fixed (it would be a shame to hide what could be great RQG promotional material...)

Twitch.tv is a live streaming platform. They allow you to watch live for free, but you need to subscribe to twitch.tv to watch any replays (it also then removes their adverts). We can't change that, it's how Twitch works. So you don't need to subscribe to their pay-to-view service, we transfer our video's to our Youtube a few days after.

Go to: https://www.youtube.com/c/ChaosiumInc/

If you click the subscribe button, youtube will let you know when a new video of ours goes up.

Edited by Scotty
clarification of Twitch.tv to Youtube
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

I don't want to question a business decision like that because I don't really have any place to, but why? If you're going after the twitch demographic, lets be honest here, "spend $5 a month to watch our content on this platform if you can't make the first run" isn't exactly a winning advertisement. On a site where so many people work purely off of donations, its going to come off as a little money-grubbing. Obviously if expanding the...brand awareness to twitch's main demographics (majority teens and 20s) isn't the goal then disregard.

Maybe some people are big enough supporters to throw a five your way for content that they'll be able to get for free in a couple days but they won't do it sight-unseen and I think you'd get more engagement by having it be as widely available as possible. Just a few thoughts from someone that would like to see RQ grow into its own among the younger crowd the same way CoC has.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/11/2020 at 10:24 PM, nabda said:

I don't want to question a business decision like that because I don't really have any place to, but why? If you're going after the twitch demographic, lets be honest here, "spend $5 a month to watch our content on this platform if you can't make the first run" isn't exactly a winning advertisement.

I couldn't make the first run, so I watched it for free on YouTube. I don't see the problem.

• Like 3

I usually do not watch other people play but I was curious about this one and I quite enjoyed it. I ended up watching the whole 2 hours! I am a bit curious about one bit and I hope @Jeff can shed some light on how things were proceeding mechanically at some point.

As the group is engaging with the Black Fang assassins, the flow of the story moved to the melee round structure (statement of intent, etc). However I did not see any SR call out (at least not until Argrath jumps into the fray). Was not flow not really following the SR structure or is it simply that anyone had their SR in mind and they knew when to act? Second, at that point in time, there was multiple mentions of "players being able to take two actions per MR". Again that whole part seemed fairly free flowing with no one really counting SRs and just flowing from one action to the other. I think this is exactly what was happening (free flowing the fight scene), which changed when Argrath started acting, but I wondered if I missed something specific that justified the "2 actions per turn" or if I simply misunderstood what was happening. 

Many veteran RQ GMs stop counting out strike ranks and instead intuitively go with the flow of the story and the game around the table. You won't find many of us admitting it, but you've seen Jeff running the game and you've heard Jason say he doesn't really use them, and here's me saying much the same... go figure.

• Like 1

One minor drawback of the "loose declarations of intent and two actions per round" is that Nisk cast both rune magic (Dismiss) and spirit magic (Demoralize) in the same round.

I noticed that no players augmented with skills, they all inspired with Passions or Runes.  Our group tends to use (and overuse) skill augments because of the once per session limit for inspiration.  Are we reading that limit wrong?

5 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

One minor drawback of the "loose declarations of intent and two actions per round" is that Nisk cast both rune magic (Dismiss) and spirit magic (Demoralize) in the same round.

I noticed that no players augmented with skills, they all inspired with Passions or Runes.  Our group tends to use (and overuse) skill augments because of the once per session limit for inspiration.  Are we reading that limit wrong?

My understanding of the limitation is that a character can make one attempt at inspiration per situation/scene, and a given Rune or Passion can be used for inspiration once per Season.

So, in a given session, a character is inspired by their Earth rune when trying a communication skill. They cannot use the Earth rune for inspiration for the remainder of the session/season, and in that situation/scene where they are attempting that communication roll, they cannot use become inspired again, even for a different ability roll.

Later in the same session, the party is in combat. The character cannot use the Earth rune to inspire their Axe skill, because they have already used the Earth rune that session/season. They can, however, attempt an inspiration with a different applicable Rune or Passion, as it is a different scene or situation.

My players will prefer inspiration, specifically Runic inspiration to any other augment because Runic inspiration doesn't have the potential to make their attempt at the desired skill worse, just makes using the Rune in the future harder (or impossible in the case of a fumble).

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

Our group tends to use (and overuse) skill augments because of the once per session limit for inspiration.  Are we reading that limit wrong?

Yes, reading the limit wrong.

Passions p.236 "Only one attempt at inspiration can be made in a situation or “scene”—such as the duration of a skirmish, battle, assembly meeting, magic ritual, etc."

Runes p.229 "Only one attempt at inspiration can be made in a situation—such as the duration of a combat, battle, assembly meeting, magical ritual, etc. An adventurer does not get to make an inspiration roll every time they swing a sword! The inspiration lasts for the time it takes to complete the activity or task, such as the duration of the combat or battle. Generally, inspiration should have a maximum duration of one day."

Effectively it's a scene, battle, etc. with maximum duration of a day.  Next day, you can attempt to be inspired again.

• Thanks 1