Does Apple Lane have a wyter (in 1625)?

smiorgan

The Varmandi have the Oak of Vengeance in Oakton and the Hiording have a cloak of swan feathers worn by their Ernalda priestess. But it does not seem that the border hamlet of Apple Lane has a wyter of its own, at least not in the GM's pack.

What could it be? Who could be the wyter's priest/ priestess?

Maybe establishing a (new) wyter for Apple Lane could be an interesting goal for a scenario.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, smiorgan said:

The Varmandi have the Oak of Vengeance in Oakton and the Hiording have a cloak of swan feathers worn by their Ernalda priestess. But it does not seem that the border hamlet of Apple Lane has a wyter of its own, at least not in the GM's pack.

Interesting question!  I'd have guessed that the hamlet in itself is too small to, but most such border communities have a significant 'hinterland' of people off-map connected with it.  If they're involved/committed enough to Apple Lane (presumably as well as, rather than instead of their own clan, tribe, etc), might make sense.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smiorgan said:

Maybe establishing a (new) wyter for Apple Lane could be an interesting goal for a scenario

Our group did that, during the Sacred Time between 1626 and 1627. 

Not sure exactly how it is supposed to work, but we made it up.  Some of us wanted Alaryn (from Alaryn's Ford) but we came back with somebody more interesting: Gringle!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The more Wyters the better! It amazes me that pc parties don't come with a wyter as standard. But aren't Wyters associated with communities that have a Loyalty passion, and is a hamlet organised/structured enough to return that Loyalty... Maybe. In any case, Gringle the Wyter is too good an idea to get hung up on details. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nick Underwood said:

The more Wyters the better! It amazes me that pc parties don't come with a wyter as standard. But aren't Wyters associated with communities that have a Loyalty passion, and is a hamlet organised/structured enough to return that Loyalty...

That's game mechanics, of course (and we're in the right place for those, but I'm going to waffle more generally anyway, all apologies), but certainly captures something about something about the underlying (fictional!) reality.  I picture a community wyter as working like a small cult. Both (theistic-style) cults and most communities kick in somewhat around Dunbar's Number, so that's the sort of group I tend to think of a having such a thing.  But you have to fudge that relative to commitment.  You could argue that the stereotypical party of freebooting rootless adventurers spend 90% commitment on "cult" (i.e. party) "business", and have a multiplier effect.

Conversely, if the Apple Township are neither Devoted, Loyal, or Loving to their quasi-community, so much as Moderately Fond of the Commercial Convenience (SV 40% "Passion"), they like each "count" for less than one member.  It'd be like having a shrine to a minor deity where almost the entire "congregation" were slacker lay members, pitching in their MPs on some sporadic basis, but just about ending up as vaguely "equivalent" to a smaller number of observant initiates.  (For actual divine cults they might not actually work that way, so this is a somewhat loose comparison.)

So imagine that AL gets tepid levels of community support from large numbers of people from the two or three closest clans.  That seems like something that might be magically feasible to work with.

29 minutes ago, Nick Underwood said:

Maybe. In any case, Gringle the Wyter is too good an idea to get hung up on details. 

Can't argue with that!

Edited by Alex
  • Helpful 1

31 minutes ago, Alex said:

Both (theistic-style) cults and most communities kick in somewhat around Dunbar's Number, so that's the sort of group I tend to think of a having such a thing.  But you have to fudge that relative to commitment. 

Yes. Commitment to the Wyter through MP sac, which really determines the power of the Wyter. But also, as you indicate, commitment to the group, which in Glorantha manifests as the objective bonds of Loyalty. So it is not hard to imagine family, stead, and other small Wyters (household spirits), that have quiet acts of initiation and worship but few real powers beyond the creation and maintenance of Loyalty bonds. 

And there could be an Apple Lane Wyter... But then would the inhabitants have preserved their murky hidden secrets? 😉

17 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Maybe it's Uleria!  And the priestess is that of her temple - it is a cult focused on Community, among other aspects.

wahou ! Where can I sign to have a shop there ? a room maybe ? just a stable or a dog house maybe ?

Seems to me there was a wyter before the pc came and it would be a wyter after they will leave. Of course if there is no more community when the pc came, it means there is no more wyter.

Or... less seducing than Uleria idea... what about the gargoyle. After all, who is/was the true leader of apple lane ?

Edited by French Desperate WindChild

32 minutes ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

As i understand it, a temple would normally have a wyter.  So it wouldn't be the god, but might be an Uleria cult spirit.

What would an Uleria cult spirit dwell in? 

A Cup (after all the Life Rune is a Cup), or a Pool, or a statue of the goddess of Love seem most likely.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 10:33 PM, smiorgan said:

Maybe establishing a (new) wyter for Apple Lane could be an interesting goal for a scenario.

The major limiting factor in Apple Lane is the population, the smallest wyter needing 50 people. The players achieved 11 from the hamlet, 10 tenants, 10 players, 20 supporting family members from Swan and Jenstal’s Stead, for a total of 51!.

My players re-instigated the Apple festival in the hamlet to raise the numbers to make it possible on an annual basis to have a small wyter. The wyter is bound to the thane of Apple Lane (an Orlanth initiate), who acts as its priest, and it resides in the ancient apple tree outside the Thane's house. The Apple festival was a thinly veiled wassailing that happened early in Sea season, and relied on the families of the adventures to participate to get the numbers up. It was supported by Theyra the priestess of Ernalda at Swan, Aileena the priestess of Uleria, and Kareena the God-talker of Orlanth Thunderous. Everyone took Loyalty (Apple Lane) and the end of the day, the ancient tree's spirit was revealed as having a POW 20 & CHA16. Its abilities are: it can kill all insects and blights that would harm apple trees in a single hide for 1 magic point, and and adds its POW as a % to the harvest roll for apples only.

The other shrines and temples are too small have have their own wyters. It could be assumed that Eighty-Eyes was the wyter of Gringle's pawnshop and is still bound into the building awaiting rediscovery.

Edited by David Scott
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 5

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

13 hours ago, David Scott said:

Its abilities are: it can kill all insects and blights that would harm apple trees in a single hide for 1 magic point, and and adds its POW as a % to the harvest roll for apples only.

Really nice, thematically, and mechanically appropriate abilities! Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

On 1/6/2022 at 10:33 PM, smiorgan said:

Apple Lane / Rainbow Mounds spoilers ahead:

Spoiler

I nominate the Great Lizard Mother from the Rainbow Mounds as the Wyter of Apple Lane!  Sure my shaman may have bound her into a crystal, but she's  a fine locally grown spirit, plus she can eat insects with the best of them!

Edited by Scotty
hid spoiler
  • Thanks 1

For what it is worth, I don't view Apple Lane as having its own community spirit. Most residents are either Hiording or Varmandi, and the Uleria temple has its own spirit. Most residents go to the Thane if there are disputes, and go to their clan or tribal temples for important worship ceremonies. It is after all a hamlet - an "unincorporated community" or "census-designated place" to use US municipal terms.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the current Apple Lane, the cohesion of the village is pretty low, with a number of key individuals struggling to hold it together. So I wouldn't think it would have a wyter. If a party essentially takes over Apple Lane by becoming Thane and does things to make it grow, then it could become more of an entity that would have a wyter. If the growth squarely goes in the direction of fertility, then the Ulerian Temple spirit is an obvious choice. If more trade-oriented, then Gringle. If defensive in nature, then former sheriff Dronlan Swordsharp would work well (see previous RQ versions of Apple Lane).

I think Apple Lane's relative neutrality in Glorantha's tribalist culture offers a lot of options for directions and sources of conflict and cooperation. The wyter would likely represent and reinforce the direction that it goes in that particular campaign.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Scorus said:

In the current Apple Lane, the cohesion of the village is pretty low, with a number of key individuals struggling to hold it together. So I wouldn't think it would have a wyter.

Which came first?

A Wyter would help to hold things together of the community as a whole, (but I'd also suggest individually as well), but is also a physical manifestation of that community.

So, is the lack of wyter from the lack of community, or is the lack of real social cohesion and community because of the lack of wyter?