I got mine!

threedeesix

Regarding old people with kids.

I have my 20th high school reunion coming up. Think I might actually go to this one after skipping the 10th. But I will have to find a baby sitter for my boys, who will be 4 and 1 when it comes around. I expect that some people there will have kids that are considerably older. Not sure if they will have grandkids by then, but I suppose it is possible.

Oh, and my wife is 4'11", so putting things up "high" is a relative term.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

30/420

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It also sounds like Chaosium might have taken a loss on their "Advanced Reader" copies. So far only up to number 75 has been reported. That leaves 345 books unaccounted for. They might be able to sell them at cons or something, if any are coming up.

I ordered two... still not shipped. :(

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

It also sounds like Chaosium might have taken a loss on their "Advanced Reader" copies. So far only up to number 75 has been reported. That leaves 345 books unaccounted for. They might be able to sell them at cons or something, if any are coming up.

Sounds like something that should make it into the Timeline for 7th edtion CoC.

2007 Chaosium orders 420 Advanced Reader copies of BRP. Over 300 copies disappear.

Some Deep Ones got Triff's copies! :P

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Regarding Chaosium shipping.

Chaosium is not book seller. They are a game company and publisher. It is four guys (to the best of my knowledge) in a tiny office (I assume) working on something more for the love of the job than the financial rewards (I would be amazed if they made that much). The fact that they are not good at customer service does not surprise me in the least.

Except they are a book seller, they offer books for sale that are only available from them, and they have one person who appears to be dedicated to this venture, and another who is apparently involved part time.

Personally I suspect that part of the problem is the software they're using sucks and is buggy. I've ordered from them several times and it is only the two orders in December that I've had issues. Both problems appear to be software related. At the same time, getting a response out of them isn't easy, I was about ready to call them this last time when I finally received a reply.

I'm really surprised they printed as many as they did. It is also possible that by printing that many they received a sizable discount from the printer. After all 420 is an odd number.

Zane

Actually, to be pedantic .......

(Where's the Pedantic Smilie when you need it?)

It may be even, but supposedly it has numerogical signficance as a few seconds of google revealed sites like: best of craigslist : 420 explained

Apparently 420 is a popular euphemism for smoking marijuana. Since Chaosium was formed by a "bunch of hippies" ;), 420 could explain how all those order were "forgotten". :D

Personally I think some people went home early for the holidays and didn't pass on the information to someone else until a few days later. Or Santa's reindeer ate them.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Except they are a book seller, they offer books for sale that are only available from them, and they have one person who appears to be dedicated to this venture, and another who is apparently involved part time.

Point taken. :)

Personally I suspect that part of the problem is the software they're using sucks and is buggy. I've ordered from them several times and it is only the two orders in December that I've had issues. Both problems appear to be software related. At the same time, getting a response out of them isn't easy, I was about ready to call them this last time when I finally received a reply.

Glad to hear that most of your orders went smoothly. It makes me feel a little better about possibly order more things from them in the future.

I'm really surprised they printed as many as they did. It is also possible that by printing that many they received a sizable discount from the printer. After all 420 is an odd number.

It seems we have a least a couple different theories on why the 420 number. I won't try to guess myself. :)

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

30/420

Well, I'm STILL waiting for my copy to arrive - 4 weeks after ordering, 2 weeks after shipping! :(

Could anyone answer a quick question for me? In the new rules, what's the situation with the Dodge skill? What's the base chance for critters - is it something like DEX x 3%, or is there a fixed base? If someone could post the defensive capabilities of, say, a lion or a wolf, something like that, that would be very useful! I'm limping along with a combination of RQ3 and SB5 at the mo, but would like to try and make what I'm working on as close to BRP as possible.

Cheers,

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

In the new rules, what's the situation with the Dodge skill? What's the base chance for critters - is it something like DEX x 3%, or is there a fixed base? If someone could post the defensive capabilities of, say, a lion or a wolf, something like that, that would be very useful!

Dodge is based on DEX x 2% for characters. Unless there's a strong reason to choose otherwise, I'd suggest using that as a base for monsters as well, with higher scores attributed to experience.

The Lion for some reason is missing his Dodge skill, but it will be 50%.

The Wolf has a Dodge 35%.

Dodge is based on DEX x 2% for characters. Unless there's a strong reason to choose otherwise, I'd suggest using that as a base for monsters as well, with higher scores attributed to experience.

The Lion for some reason is missing his Dodge skill, but it will be 50%.

The Wolf has a Dodge 35%.

Excellent - thanks very much for the response Jason, that's an enormous help!

Cheers,

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

Ohhhh, I just had to order it..... mmmmmmm!

Anyone reading this at chaosium, pls make a Brit happy and send it asp to the UK, (of course within the 6-10 day window as asked for in p&p).

I would be so miffed if I bought and paid for a copy of an 'advanced reader copy' that didn't come until after Edition 1 was in the shops.

:)

Ken.

125/420

Ohhhh, I just had to order it..... mmmmmmm!

Anyone reading this at chaosium, pls make a Brit happy and send it asp to the UK, (of course within the 6-10 day window as asked for in p&p).

I would be so miffed if I bought and paid for a copy of an 'advanced reader copy' that didn't come until after Edition 1 was in the shops.

:)

Ken.

Ssssssnap!

132/420

Wa-hay! Just went to the postbox in a howling Normandy storm and found BRP waiting for me! All in good condition, some slight deformation at the corners probably due to the postal system, but nothing that won't iron out in a month or two. Copy 113 of 420 - those numbers are going up!

For others in Europe, my copy took two weeks and 4 days to arrive - shipping email arrived on the 28th December, package turned up today. That was with the International First Class ($26) cheapest postage option, so not actually that bad.

Quick flick through looks promising - quite interested to see Optional Trait Rules in there, wasn't expecting that. The cover looks nice, too - for us old guard it has good memories, and looks good also in a kind of mediaeval stained-glass window kind of way. As to whether it'll attract new players - don't know, maybe not, but I like it!

OK - off to hunker down and do some reading!

Cheers,

Sarah