What could this be?

lawrence.whitaker

Definitions of 'Imperative'

adjective: of vital importance, crucial; also preemptive or authoritative command
noun: obligatory; also urgent or essential

The last definition is very telling :)

I believe it could be a new slimmed core rule book for Mythras. Probably an edited RQ6 Essentials, possibly with an example setting included.

I'm no Sherlock, the cover title includes the phrase: 'An introductory Ruleset for Mythras and D100 Roleplaying"...

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

3 hours ago, lawrence.whitaker said:

It's actually generic, and has modern/SF elements already built into it.

Now I am very interested in it. 

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Mythras Imperative

What is Mythras Imperative?

A 34 page introduction to the Mythras system, designed for both newcomers and old hands. It gives you a pared-down, simplified version of Mythras but still with enough options and depth to be a playable game. The rules cover character creation, skills, the core mechanics of the game, spot rules for different circumstances, combat mechanics, and several creatures from fantasy, real life and science fiction.

Is this a fantasy game?

We’ve made Mythras Imperative generic. Skills cover the ancient, modern and futuristic worlds, and the weapons include firearms. So Mythras Imperative gives you the starting point for adventuring in any time period you want. Other supplements, and the core Mythras rules themselves, expand on things like magic, vehicles, psionic powers and so on.

So no magic then?

Not in Mythras Imperative. We’ve kept things at a high level to make it easy for everyone to get the hang of the basics. When you’re ready, trade-up to the full Mythras rules for a total of five different magic systems!

What else can I do with it?

Mythras Imperative can be used by third party publishers to develop their own, Mythras-powered games, in conjunction with the Mythras Gateway License. This simple agreement extends our permission for the Imperative rules to be used wholesale in new systems people want to create. Contact us for more details.

What else is available for Mythras Imperative?

We have several free scenarios ready for adventurers – fantasy and science fiction so you can see first-hand the scope of the Mythras rules.

Does this replace RuneQuest Essentials?

Yes it does. From summer 2016, RuneQuest Essentials will be discontinued. If you have a copy already, you’ll find it fully compatible with Mythras Imperative.

• Like 6

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

Actually, something I wanted to ask about Mythras is whether it can Supers or not? It's a low priority, but is in some ways is the critical measure of how generic a system is. Luther Arkwright has psychic powers, which is largely in this direction - but what about being able to do things like the Avengers or the Justice League? 

This sounds promising: I'm putting together a Monster Island game - linked to the Dreamlands - where the PC's are 21st century people who when they sleep find that they are trapped in Monster Island - where the colony is an early 20th century colonial outpost - right down to the corrupt governor and "the company". Each time they transition they pick up where they left off. As the game goes on it becomes more and more confusing as to which is real - Monster Island, or the lives they thought were real. And yes, if you die in your 'sleep' you die... 

Having some modern skill options in Mythras will make it much easier to run this game.

Keep the good stuff coming'!*

*P.S. what I'm really panting for is Mythic Greece...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pachristian said:

*P.S. what I'm really panting for is Mythic Greece...

That makes two of us. I already have Pete's Rome for BRP. Sell me Mythic Greece and I will be a happy man.

ps - Pachristian you might want to look out for "Before Iron" from Nocturnal. It's also supposed to be a mythic Greece type sourcebook and it is supposed to come out this year...

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

Guest Vile Traveller
5 hours ago, lawrence.whitaker said:

Mythras Imperative

So no magic then?

Not in Mythras Imperative. We’ve kept things at a high level to make it easy for everyone to get the hang of the basics. When you’re ready, trade-up to the full Mythras rules for a total of five different magic systems!

I'm totally down with this. I have always found magic systems to be one of the most setting-specific elements in any game, so much so that you can't really have a game with a magic system built in and still call it "generic" (and I include D&D in that). I can't wait for this. But I guess I'll have to.

Edited by Vile

13 hours ago, lawrence.whitaker said:

We’ve made Mythras Imperative generic. Skills cover the ancient, modern and futuristic worlds, and the weapons include firearms. So Mythras Imperative gives you the starting point for adventuring in any time period you want. Other supplements, and the core Mythras rules themselves, expand on things like magic, vehicles, psionic powers and so on.

Well, I certainly have to get Mythras Imperative. :)

Any ideas when the Mythras core rules and the supplements might become available (yesterday would be fine ...) ?

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)