RQG - Where we are. And the new cover.

MOB

3 hours ago, g33k said:

@Jeff -- d'you think it'd be possible to get a "source art" page...

He posted a lot of these while the Guide was being written.  More as "behind the scenes" kinds of things than formal go-to references.  I think he has done so from time to time since then, too - such as with the armor above.

What really happened?  The only way to discover that is to experience it yourself.

1 hour ago, Roko Joko said:

I thought it was a wind lord mainly because gods have so rarely been depicted directly, but MOB asserted it was Orlanth in a post here last June.  But you know, with heroquesting and heroforming - whatever.

When you are hero forming, you are the god. There is no difference.

3 hours ago, jeffjerwin said:

When you are hero forming, you are the god. There is no difference.

Well... you become an avatar, or maybe a bit more than that; certainly "you are the god" is true (as Obi-wan famously said)  "from a certain point of view."O

But if you fail ... if you DIE...   The god goes on.  Injured a bit, weakened a bit.  But not dead like you (granted, you may be able to heroquest your way back from death).

C'es ne pas un .sig

9 hours ago, Roko Joko said:

I thought it was a wind lord mainly because gods have so rarely been depicted directly, but MOB asserted it was Orlanth in a post here last June.  But you know, with heroquesting and heroforming - whatever.

The original title of the piece was "Orlanth and his thanes" (though whether that's the Big O himself or a wind lord avatar is rather moot, as we originally commissioned it for the heroquesting chapter of 13th Age Glorantha). The revised RQG cover version upgrades Vasana's armor and swaps out the figures around the Big Blue Guy with the other example characters from the rules. Andrey's earlier version still appears in the 13G book.

5 hours ago, MOB said:

The original title of the piece was "Orlanth and his thanes" (though whether that's the Big O himself or a wind lord avatar is rather moot, as we originally commissioned it for the heroquesting chapter of 13th Age Glorantha). The revised RQG cover version upgrades Vasana's armor and swaps out the figures around the Big Blue Guy with the other example characters from the rules. Andrey's earlier version still appears in the 13G book.

The changes are what makes this worthy of the cover image IMO. Its much more interesting. The variety and change of shield styles, the supporting variety of characters which gives more personality, and develops the story. The move to a presumably warmer Mediterranean climate (less trousers) & great sandals. Getting more of a Jason and the Argonauts vibe which as cultural currency totally sells it to me (like RQ2) - whilst still be uniquely Gloranthan.  The interesting variety of details and armour is much more interesting now & makes the image sing.

Having lived with the new cover and logo now for a few days, its impressing me more. The logo is very strong and unique, my initial ElfQuest association has thankfully faded. This Logo has its own characterful identity for me now. Not to put too praise on Chaosium, but this design process has been expertly steered. I 'm sold :) 

2 hours ago, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

The changes are what makes this worthy of the cover image IMO. Its much more interesting. The variety and change of shield styles, the supporting variety of characters which gives more personality, and develops the story. The move to a presumably warmer Mediterranean climate (less trousers) & great sandals. Getting more of a Jason and the Argonauts vibe which as cultural currency totally sells it to me (like RQ2) - whilst still be uniquely Gloranthan.  The interesting variety of details and armour is much more interesting now & makes the image sing.

Having lived with the new cover and logo now for a few days, its impressing me more. The logo is very strong and unique, my initial ElfQuest association has thankfully faded. This Logo has its own characterful identity for me now. Not to put too praise on Chaosium, but this design process has been expertly steered. I 'm sold :) 

I worked with Andrey on the original version, as part of a number of interior pieces for the 13G book. Jeff takes the credit for going back to the piece with Andrey and turning it into the stunning cover piece featuring the pregens with lot of wonderful new details.

Andrey started drawing for us as a Call of Cthulhu illustrator, but was intrigued by Glorantha (which he'd never heard of), to give that a try too when we asked him if he'd like to be part of finishing off the 13G project*. He's got some great pieces in 13G, and some wonderful stuff coming up in the new RQG: his Gloranthan art just keeps getting better and better as he gets drawn in deeper and deeper to the setting...

*another such artist is Caleb Cleveland, who had also done Call of Cthulhu art in the past, but had never done anything for Glorantha before. His 13G pics of the Earth Priestess and her Troll Wind Lord buddy—definitely some One Unique Thing stuff going on here—are among my favourite in that book:

en-world-illo.png?t=1522062491

screen-shot-2017-09-26-at-3.21.42-pm.png

• Like 4

You have a great cadre of artists for the new Glorantha stuff. Cool to hear that Andrey is new to Glorantha, but he (and well the rest of 'em too!) should be pretty happy as he's about to become one of the artists that define Runequest/Glorantha's visual style for a whole new generation (or two). Good times for all of us! 

Edited by Grievous
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, MOB said:

I worked with Andrey on the original version, as part of a number of interior pieces for the 13G book. Jeff takes the credit for going back to the piece with Andrey and turning it into the stunning cover piece featuring the pregens with lot of wonderful new details.

Andrey started drawing for us as a Call of Cthulhu illustrator, but was intrigued by Glorantha (which he'd never heard of), to give that a try too when we asked him if he'd like to be part of finishing off the 13G project*. He's got some great pieces in 13G, and some wonderful stuff coming up in the new RQG: his Gloranthan art just keeps getting better and better as he gets drawn in deeper and deeper to the setting...

*another such artist is Caleb Cleveland, who had also done Call of Cthulhu art in the past, but had never done anything for Glorantha before. His 13G pics of the Earth Priestess and her Troll Wind Lord buddy—definitely some One Unique Thing stuff going on here—are among my favourite in that book:

en-world-illo.png?t=1522062491

screen-shot-2017-09-26-at-3.21.42-pm.png

Some great art coming out in both 13th age and the new RuneQuest. Great to see justice done to Glorantha in this respect. I liked Andrey's orginal image in 13th Age, but for a cover selling the new RuneQuest these alterations have really pushed the image into what I feel the RQ vibe is about. There's something special about the ancient RQ2 feel that sold that game to me. This new art is tuning into that vibe remarkably well. Seeing the Monkey ruins come to life, and the hustle and bustle of Swenstown is marvellous. I really liked the covers for River of Cradles, Sun County & Bordelands - This art feels of the same world, but executed in Andrey's own sophisticated way. It feels right. 

Edited by Paid a bod yn dwp
  • Like 2

On 27/3/2018 at 5:01 AM, MOB said:

In 13G book, page 14 describes the illustration of being Orlanth and his heroes. But the RQG cover is a re-work, and it's a useful point to make to new players, if you want to progress in your cult, you need to act like your god... 

10 hours ago, Richard S. said:

And he's fighting left handed too, with a klanth nontheless. I'd be very interested to know the story behind how he got that.

The klanth is one of Orlanth's iconic weapons:  he slew Aroka the Blue Dragon with it.

I would presume any Orlanthi with a klanth would be en route to a heroquest where they hoped to bless/enchant their klanth by reenacting that story... or wielding a klanth already blessed via hq !    :D

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 3/22/2018 at 7:26 PM, MOB said:

Ok I think she needs a lizard skin headband or Rocklizard tooth necklace or something to to say Yep kill that dam lizard and hear is all that is left of it. :)

That's the rock-lizard killer there—she's a Wind Lord now:

5ab43b7e53795_ScreenShot2018-03-23at10_24_56am.png.d3a8b73afbc42b0146130612d0e56230.png

• Like 1

Uh...waitaminnit.  Vasana is not the rock-lizard killer.  Nevermind that the commonly-accepted wisdom is that the lady who graces the covers of both RQ2 and the RQ:G Quickstart is a Vingan, the one and only rune she bears is the Fertility rune, which isn't one that Vasana shares.

24 minutes ago, Yelm's Light said:

Uh...waitaminnit.  Vasana is not the rock-lizard killer.  Nevermind that the commonly-accepted wisdom is that the lady who graces the covers of both RQ2 and the RQ:G Quickstart is a Vingan, the one and only rune she bears is the Fertility rune, which isn't one that Vasana shares.

Vasana is the rock-lizard killer on the cover of the quickstart.

On 3/24/2018 at 12:57 AM, MOB said:

A bit more insight about the new RuneQuest cover we're working on. One of the groundbreaking RPG design innovations RuneQuest introduced way back in 1978 was the "example character", with ongoing vignettes of their adventures to show how the rules operate in play. Original RQ had 'The Saga of Rurik the Restless'; for RQG it's 'Vasana's Saga'! Like with Rurik's Saga, many of the RQG examples stem from actual play, from the Chaosium house campaign.

The warrior woman on the right of the new cover is Vasana herself, the example character of RQG. Vasana's companions are arrayed there too: Harmast, a chieftain's son; Sorala, an adventurous sage; Vostor, a Lunar deserter; Yanioth, a magically-adept Earth priestess; and Vishi Dun, a High Llama tribe shaman's apprentice.

(And that's Vasana on RuneQuest Quickstart cover too, fighting the legendary rock lizard. Vasana and her friends are the pre-gen characters).

Vasanas.png.48340673066bc4687999195628071b59.png