Eurmal cult description

hkokko

Any other material sources for Eurmal cult - I have the Phil Davis Eurmal cult, Glorantha Sourcebook text, Gods of Glorantha stuff...  Was there ever any other cult description in any of the publications. not looking for current canon only...

43 minutes ago, hkokko said:

Any other material sources for Eurmal cult - I have the Phil Davis Eurmal cult, Glorantha Sourcebook text, Gods of Glorantha stuff...  Was there ever any other cult description in any of the publications. not looking for current canon only...

Sartar Companion is the most recent. Five page write-up.

Edited by M Helsdon

51 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Gods and Goddesses of Glorantha has the official writeup. At just under 4,000 words it is the definitive writeup, and I am much happier with it than my Sartar Companion writeup.

I was more thinking about available material...

http://www.glorantha.com/docs/canon/ lists Sartar Companion as canon. Gods and Goddesses of Glorantha is not available yet.  Game happens now - the character is created today and will be on game next Wednesday - so will be building on Sartar Companion and the other available sources. Will of course be buying the GGoG when it comes out. 

Would there be something more available on cult compatibility of Eurmal (friends with, associated with, neutral, hates) than the normal rune based stuff plus what one can fathom out of pantheon enemies and friends... 

2 hours ago, hkokko said:

Would there be something more available on cult compatibility of Eurmal (friends with, associated with, neutral, hates) than the normal rune based stuff plus what one can fathom out of pantheon enemies and friends... 

Cult compatibility and Eurmal? Who are you going to trick?

Seriously, apart from the Orlanth cult which may take responsibility for a bonded trickster, most other cults in Sartar are at best neutral to Eurmal. He is the most popular in parts of Loskalm and Ralios, where he is acknowledged as the Firebringer who sided with humans against selfish gods - not sure that that will make any of those gods more inclined to be friendly with that cult.

Plenty a cult will have a myth of how Eurmal (or some other trickster) interacted with their deity, and if that myth has a moment of non-violence, a Eurmali might be able to invoke that for a period of non-aggression which will end when the trickster transgresses again. (I.e., give it a day or two, unless it is a very elaborate trick that takes longer to set up.)

Outright enemies will be the kin of Eurmal's murder victims (of which there are plenty, too).

Toleration with strong restriction is the absolute best a Eurmali can hope for unless he manages to trick himself temporarily into a better position (which he will trick himself out of soon again).

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Eurmal is Associated with Lightbringers, Friendly with Thief Cults, Illusion Cults and Trickster Cults, Neutral to most others and Enemy to Chaos, I would think.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

36 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

How's his relation to Humakt? By some accounts Eurmal pretty much created Humakt, after all.

EDIT: Not literally, but eh, you know what I mean.

Is this some sort of trick???

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

you could make a good case about Eurmal's bringing of death as a necessity for Orlanth to bring Change but I think it comes down to Humakt not having a sense of humor.

I checked the Cult compatibility chart in RQ and they're neutral with each other, but I can't imagine it working out in practice.

Edited by Wrestlepig
added info about cult compatibility

Humakt seems like the sort of god who is totally impassive to Eurmal's tomfoolery. Being all about Truth and Death.

Earth = sensuality and hence earthy humor.

Water = capriciousness and hence perhaps subtle humor

Darkness = sarcasm (cruel) humor.

Illusion = puns and other humor based on visual or verbal incongruity.

Disorder = surrealist and bizarre humor

Movement = silly walks and other physical humorousness

3 hours ago, Wrestlepig said:

you could make a good case about Eurmal's bringing of death as a necessity for Orlanth to bring Change but I think it comes down to Humakt not having a sense of humor.

I checked the Cult compatibility chart in RQ and they're neutral with each other, but I can't imagine it working out in practice.

When Eurmal is involved, being "Neutral" probably just means that you only beat the crap out of him when he actually does something rather than just doing it on principle.

• Like 2

On 9/9/2018 at 3:39 PM, hkokko said:

Ha, Ha, the current GoG version has some excellent sections that will set everything straight once and for all:

A single fact unites the many subcults which collectively comprise this religion: they all disagree. In fact, they cannot even agree what rune he has (Illusion, Change, or Disorder).

Most sensible pantheons have nothing to do with the Trickster.

The only associated cult is Orlanth. As a Lightbringer he's likely considered neutral with regards the others, however I suspect everyone else is hostile when a trickster appears (no cult compatibility tables yet).

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Make up your own description. Whatever you claim might be true - pinning down a unique description of the god of tricksters in a mythological landscape as fluid as Glorantha is a big ask. In fact, why don't you provide different information to different PCs - Eurmal would be immensely entertained by a heated theological dispute between PCs, especially if it led to them doing silly things to try to prove their position.

Edited by EricW
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, EricW said:

Make up your own description. Whatever you claim might be true - pinning down a unique description of the god of tricksters in a mythological landscape as fluid as Glorantha is a big ask. In fact, why don't you provide different information to different PCs - Eurmal would be immensely entertained by a heated theological dispute between PCs, especially if it led to them doing silly things to try to prove their position.

Best of all, fisticuffs, spitting, and biting!

My Elurae Trickster character has a running grievance with Raven. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, EricW said:

Eurmel’s harmony - a powerful new trickster spell which causes everyone in the area affected to talk over each other and assume everyone else agrees with whatever they are saying.

I imagine that's a spell or feat that would be tied to some legend of Eurmal screwing over Issaries that ends with him trading Eurmal himself away to some enemy of his as a slave (or convincing said enemy that he doesn't want them to take Eurmal to pull a reverse-psychology gambit where they run off with Eurmal instead of something valuable), thus killing two birds with one stone so that both Issaries worshipers and tricksters tell the story and take completely different lessons from it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Leingod said:

I imagine that's a spell or feat that would be tied to some legend of Eurmal screwing over Issaries that ends with him trading Eurmal himself away to some enemy of his as a slave (or convincing said enemy that he doesn't want them to take Eurmal to pull a reverse-psychology gambit where they run off with Eurmal instead of something valuable), thus killing two birds with one stone so that both Issaries worshipers and tricksters tell the story and take completely different lessons from it.

One of Eurmal's mysteries is: "learn the wrong lesson"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/10/2018 at 4:15 PM, Sir_Godspeed said:

How's his relation to Humakt? By some accounts Eurmal pretty much created Humakt, after all.

Eurmal doesn't really like cults with the Truth Rune, as they are opposed to Eurmal's Illusion Rune, so I'd have Eurmal and Humakt as Hostile.

Although Eurmal enabled Humakt to get Death, Humakt always think that Eurmal cheapened it, stole it to give to Orlanth and had a number of other nasty little tricks, hence Humakt is hostile to Eurmal.

You might have a subcult of Eurmal Deathbringer, who may well be friendly to Humakt, but that would be a very restrictive version of Eurmal.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

11 minutes ago, soltakss said:

Eurmal doesn't really like cults with the Truth Rune, as they are opposed to Eurmal's Illusion Rune, so I'd have Eurmal and Humakt as Hostile.

Although Eurmal enabled Humakt to get Death, Humakt always think that Eurmal cheapened it, stole it to give to Orlanth and had a number of other nasty little tricks, hence Humakt is hostile to Eurmal.

You might have a subcult of Eurmal Deathbringer, who may well be friendly to Humakt, but that would be a very restrictive version of Eurmal.

Not quite "Eurmal Deathbringer," but there are several of Eurmal's aspects (and "subcults" associated with a particular shrine that allow a Trickster to take a Proscribed Role) related to his relationship with Death.

As Deadeye the Death-Finder, Eurmal can always find Death wherever it may be; Tricksters who take up this role can gain the Evil Eye, which curses those they look at, and the Deadeye, which kills them instead. When Orlanth lamented the absence of his brother Humakt, Eurmal offered to let him see him; when Orlanth agreed, Eurmal "opened his shadow eye" and showed him all around the devastation Humakt had brought with the power of Death. This vision almost drove Orlanth mad like it had Flesh Man, and he ripped Eurmal into pieces and scattered them around; these became the sites of the shrines to Deadeye the Death-Finder. Humakti can gain the same powers that Eurmali do at these (and only these) sites, so if any aspect of Eurmal would be remotely amenable to Humakt, it would probably be this one.