Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Quackatoa

Who's the Orlanthi deity of...

Recommended Posts

... cabbages?

 

This is serious, guys. It's all grains with these people. Grains, grains, grains.

And cows.

Brassicists.

Who do I sacrifice to my cabbages Whom do I sacrifice to for the sake of my cabbages?

Have we got to do strange elf magic? It's Flamal, isn't it? Weirdo. If I remember correctly, he had a Divine spell that let you turn into a sprout, so it seems appropriate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there is one, I hope it also covers the other cultivars of wild cabbage, including, but not limited to kohlrabi/rutabaga, cauliflower, kale, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, savoy, collard greens, Iceberg salad, etc.

Methinks either Heler or Eurmal has some play in this god's ancestry.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Quackatoa said:

Who do I sacrifice to my cabbages Whom do I sacrifice to for the sake of my cabbages?

With that attitude I don't know if the flamal mysteries will help. Good luck though . . . are they too wet, too hot?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scott-martin said:

With that attitude I don't know if the flamal mysteries will help. Good luck though . . . are they too wet, too hot?

You sacrifice to Ernalda and the local Grain Goddess. Maybe the local cabbage patch has a spirit that can be talked to, but I'd put my time with Earth goddesses. Sure they have a favoured cereal, but they can do cabbages if you ask nicely.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jeffjerwin said:

Cabbages can make a mighty wind

"ASSOCIATED CULTS:

Orlanth Thunderous: Provides Increase Wind."

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Esrolia is the land of 10,000 goddesses. That surely includes at least one focussed on cabbages. 

Which is being flippant, but the earth religion includes an enormous amount of minor deities for every major plant, craft, many minerals, different types of magic, domestic animal, etc. The several dozen we do have names for are just scratching the surface. Just most of them aren't important enough to name or get individual worship most places. But they all are associated with Ernalda, so most of time time worshipping Ernalda or Esrola is fine, and only the ones at the top of the list every get broken out into even a sub-cult. Most of the time, it is as Jeff says, you throw in a reference to cabbage in with your normal earth sacrifices. 

In Thunder Rebels it is specifically noted that the magic of Esrola also works on garden vegetables, including cabbage. 

And in multiple places there are references to the cabbage-folk as a class of people within Orlanthi society - cabbage is the generic garden vegetable in Sartar. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IIRC Harmast Barefoot farmed cabbages when he was a cottar among the Hendriki. He worshipped Niskis (for the rain and obvious other side benefits, as can be implied from the title of the still unpublished novel "Ten Women Well Loved" which was written under a precursor of Patreon.

The partner in his rites was supposed to be the local land goddess. (And a nubile woman...)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Methinks either Heler or Eurmal has some play in this god's ancestry.

Obviously Eurmal, he lost his head and it became the first cabbage.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Tarumath said:

Obviously Eurmal, he lost his head and it became the first cabbage.

Trickster in Dara Happa is also the Carrot God, for obvious reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jeffjerwin said:

Trickster in Dara Happa is also the Carrot God, for obvious reasons.

Funny, Eurmal always strikes me as more like Daffy Duck than Bugs Bunny.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Leingod said:

Funny, Eurmal always strikes me as more like Daffy Duck than Bugs Bunny.

He's probably both really.

Daffy in the the stories where he end up tricking himself and Bugs when he trick everyone else.

Most people in Glorantha simply like to pretend he is most often the former rather than the later.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my Glorantha, every kind of plant, fruit etc has a deity/spirit that created it or a hero that brought it back from the God Time. Normally, they are descendants of the Grain Goddesses, perhaps through an Elf Hero, Dryad or descendant of Flamal.

As Jeff says, the Grain Goddesses probably have these under an umbrella, perhaps with the individual demigoddesses/Heroes worshipped as sub-cults.

So, you could get cabbage magic that only works on cabbages, or you could get magic that works on lots of different crops, depending on who you sacrifice to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Brootse said:

What about potatoes? Weren't they a Blue moon affiliated tuber?

Yes, that's even the reason why the Seven Mother cult give potato bread to their lay members.

They are a blue moon plant and symbolically "undead", connected to the Underworld when they are under the earth.

Blue Moon initiates have an heroquest where they are buried under the earth, sprout from it and are destroyed by lightning and they can use it as an escape route whenever at this location.

And another one where they get magical potatoes that can raise the dead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tarumath said:

Yes, that's even the reason why the Seven Mother cult give potato bread to their lay members.

They are a blue moon plant and symbolically "undead", connected to the Underworld when they are under the earth.

Blue Moon initiates have an heroquest where they are buried under the earth, sprout from it and are destroyed by lightning and they can use it as an escape route whenever at this location.

And another one where they get magical potatoes that can raise the dead.

That's some powerful taters. I wonder if eating them raises your moon rune? Maybe that's why they give them out for free!?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It may come as a shock to you all, but the Teelo Norri Poor Fund provides MAIZE BREAD not potato bread as originally stated. Maybe in the first few wanes it was some weird dark bread, but since glorious Hon-eel joined us, it has been MAIZE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2018 at 3:46 PM, Quackatoa said:

... cabbages?

 

This is serious, guys. It's all grains with these people. Grains, grains, grains.

And cows.

Brassicists.

Who do I sacrifice to my cabbages Whom do I sacrifice to for the sake of my cabbages?

Barntar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I now am developing a headcanon where some son of Erlanda and Flamal was chopped up and buried in many places, then sprouted up again, but depending on which appendage was buried there, you get different kinds of wild cabbage derivations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jeff said:

It may come as a shock to you all, but the Teelo Norri Poor Fund provides MAIZE BREAD not potato bread as originally stated. Maybe in the first few wanes it was some weird dark bread, but since glorious Hon-eel joined us, it has been MAIZE.

Presumably in those places which easily grow it.

In far off Pavis and Sartar they apparently still dole out potato bread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tindalos said:

Presumably in those places which easily grow it.

In far off Pavis and Sartar they apparently still dole out potato bread.

YGWV, but not in ours. Thanks to the diligent work of Claudia Loroff working out recipes from across the lozenge, we have discovered that Genertela does not have the potato.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

17 minutes ago, Jeff said:

YGWV, but not in ours. Thanks to the diligent work of Claudia Loroff working out recipes from across the lozenge, we have discovered that Genertela does not have the potato.

Ah, drat. I hadn't realised my copy of HeroQuest: Glorantha and the Elven Lights were so far out of date. Are there updated versions?

Edited by Tindalos
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jeff said:

YGWV, but not in ours. Thanks to the diligent work of Claudia Loroff working out recipes from across the lozenge, we have discovered that Genertela does not have the potato.

We must embark on the Drake HeroQuest at once and seek out the mighty tuber of usefulness!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jeff said:

YGWV, but not in ours. Thanks to the diligent work of Claudia Loroff working out recipes from across the lozenge, we have discovered that Genertela does not have the potato.

Which simply proves the Blue Moon association. Taters are SECRET. They do not speak, but have eyes everywhere. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tindalos said:

Ah, drat. I hadn't realised my copy of HeroQuest: Glorantha and the Elven Lights were so far out of date. Are there updated versions?

That's one of the inheritances that come from including older texts more or less verbatim into new products. On the one hand, it does give a nice continuity to scan a familiar and well-edited text, but on the other hand this kind of  data may come as a burden.

 

I suggest that we investigate the Lunar "potato",  which probably is as similar to the Terran one as Gloranthan quicksilver and aluminum are to their Terran equivalents.

Given the origin in Peloria, the plant has to be winter-hard or reliant on Lodril magic. It has to be starchy, but not dry starch as in wheat or the other grains (and even pseudo-cereals like buckwheat), but rather humid, with about 30% of the original plant retrievable as starch.

One common source of such starch in the Empire would be reed rhizomes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×