Is Chaosium going to support BRP anymore?

danbuter

It feels bizarre to quote myself, but I am happy to report that Charlie and Chaosium have taken all steps to mend the fence, and I'm getting back to work on Interplanetary this very evening.

Absolutely correct.

When the matter is resolved (and I am hoping it will be very soon, based on recent communications with Chaosium), I will be thrilled and relieved to get back to work on Interplanetary as a BRP product.

It began as a BRP product, and I have always wanted to see it in support of the core book.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It feels bizarre to quote myself, but I am happy to report that Charlie and Chaosium have taken all steps to mend the fence, and I'm getting back to work on Interplanetary this very evening.

Very good news indeed. :)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

I think I have to go lay down for a minute.

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Damn ,I wish I'd thought of that :lol:

Me too. :DI think somebody else used it years ago with Rome/Pax Romana was first announced. :o It's such a good line that I couldn't resist using it.

I alwaqys though RQ was the right system for Ancient Rome, and was kinda bummed that there was never a ROme book for RQ3's Fantasy Earth. BRP is close enough to RQ to be well suited towards the setting.. I'm such a fan of the setting that I'd probably had gotten it even if it weren't for BRP.

If I recall correctly, this book is focused on the time of the Republic. If It sells well, I wonder if Pete will do another book covering Imperial Rome? :innocent:

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

If I recall correctly, this book is focused on the time of the Republic. If It sells well, I wonder if Pete will do another book covering Imperial Rome? :innocent:

I wouldn't let my wife hear you make comments like that. She'd hunt you down and the next thing know, you'd wake up missing body parts! There's a downside being married to a surgeon with a vindictive streak! :eek:

Besides which... compared to the Republic, Imperial Rome is for wimps. :)

Lets see how you like this supplement first eh?

I wouldn't let my wife hear you make comments like that. She'd hunt you down and the next thing know, you'd wake up missing body parts! There's a downside being married to a surgeon with a vindictive streak! :eek:

Considering that I used to work in the O.R. that might actually be something to worry about. :eek:

All down hill after Caesar? Well, at least they had better architecture. In a way, it was alll down hill after the Punic Wars. Amazing how much damage winning those wars did to Rome.

Lets see how you like this supplement first eh?

Well, at least I'm being optimistic.:D

BTW, oh Oracle, any neat tidbits of Rome you wish to reveal to the masses? Do the character sheets for those of Patrician rank come with a purple stripe? Any good GArum recipes? Perhaps a tip on what team to bet on at the Chariot races?

If It sells well, I wonder if Pete will do another book covering Imperial Rome?

In a way, it was alll down hill after the Punic Wars. Amazing how much damage winning those wars did to Rome.

Carthage, then!

(I can risk a few body parts in a good cause...)

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Between us I think we've enough spare body parts for several supplements. Let us know which parts she hacks off and we can post you replacements....

I'm off to Gloraqntha to dump some POW into Regrow Limb. Pity we can just use Healing 6 anymore. If I were a Lunar I could DI myself into a Walktapus and ask for all sorts of supplments with no fear or reprisals.

BTW, oh Oracle, any neat tidbits of Rome you wish to reveal to the masses? Do the character sheets for those of Patrician rank come with a purple stripe? Any good GArum recipes? Perhaps a tip on what team to bet on at the Chariot races?

I'm sure RosenMcStern will release a sample few pages at some point to tantalise your appetites. From what I've seen of the initial layout, the book is going to look beautiful.

As for which team to bet on in the chariot races, I'd go for the one with the meanest streak and the highest Drive (Chariot) skills! ;)

I'm really glad things are looking up.

I have to admit though, the lack of support (or interest, really) shown by Chaosium for BRP led me away from the system.

I had originally planned on approaching them about licensing the system for our 3 game lines but the lack of support kept me away. So, instead we're going with Savage Worlds, True20, M&M and HERO 6th Edition.

Still, maybe if we see some more support for the system, I can see about doing it later on. I'd love to see Hardboiled and War of the Dead under the BRP. >:->

Mike Dukes

VP- Creative Director

www.daringentertain.com

Daring Visions

Guest Vile Traveller

But you must have read your Asterix comic books very carefully to know why :lol:

Well, any BRP: Rome supplement with a solid grounding in Asterix has my full support! :cool:

I'm sure RosenMcStern will release a sample few pages at some point to tantalise your appetites. From what I've seen of the initial layout, the book is going to look beautiful.

I just had a vision of the cover: A gladiator in the arena, in breastplate, wielding a bloody sword and holding up the head of some decapitated beastie.;)

Well, now that Pete the Author has "spilled the beans", I can add one more detail: barring direct intervention by Nyarlathotep himself, you will have BRP Rome available at Tentacles as a dead tree supplement (200 pp. or more). Non-tentacles attendees will have it available through Chaosium or as a PDF or POD by the same date. So you have yet one more reason to hurry up and book one of those last places available for Castle Stahleck.

That's what I call "third party support". Enough for you fans?

As much as I hate to say it, it is not. It would have been if this book and a few others had been published within a few months of BRP. As it is, I think BRP's chance at a resurgence is dead. Which stinks.

BRP, in its present incarnation, only came out towards the end of last year. Considering the fact that Chaosium seem to be relying on Monographs to support it, that is not really a lot of time for people to write, produce and submit a quality document.

For BRP, Its early days yet.

Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

BRP, in its present incarnation, only came out towards the end of last year. Considering the fact that Chaosium seem to be relying on Monographs to support it, that is not really a lot of time for people to write, produce and submit a quality document.

For BRP, Its early days yet.

Actually, for me, it is too late already. It would have to be a hell of a new book with hell of a good follow up and a decent line of support for me to say otherwise.

Case in point, FFG bought the rights to Dark Heresy last Feb. It took them about a year and now we have been informed of roughly 7 books for Dark Herey/Rogue Trader due this year.

BRP should have had two or three books prepared for simultaneous or near simultaneous release as the core book. Such as an adventure(s), a equipment by genre guide, GMs Screen, an encounters book and maybe even a campaign setting.

Unfortunately BRP is falling under the same problems as WEG D6, great systems (two of the bests in my not so humble opinion) but no real support.

And honestly, I think a lot of people may just rather invest in MRQ books (I know, I know, the heretical nature you all see in that) as they have a wide range of books and support and settings.

CoC I will still support, I am looking forward to its pulp book and getting a chance to break out Morocco. Unfortunately, Im still down range (STILL) and dont even have the time to fulfill my obligations to Seneschal. Let alone work on my own settings and OGL stuff.

Edited by PK Games
added GMs Screen

I find the corerule book to be nicely compact and self-contained. For me it fulfils Jason's design goal that you can watch a film/read a book/come up with and idea and create it straight out the book.

My feeling on this whole matter is that the BRP book doesn't need constant new books and supplements month on month and I find it odd that people declare the game dead because Chaosium isn't churning out supplements to 'support' the game.

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

Newt said it all. Someone may have been impressed by how many books Mongoose published for MRQ (and WotC for D&D 4e), but this does not mean that BRP requires that amount of stuff to survive. There is a fair amount of D100 stuff on the shelves, so the system is not "unsupported". Remember that besides Cqll of Cthulhui, you can use anything written by Mongoose with BRP (and in fact most of us old-schoolers do it!).

Another fantasy setting could help, but as we already have Glorantha, the Moorcock Multiverse and Lankhmar for MRQ, I think any Fantasy-thirsty D100 gamer has enough products to read and use.

What? Ah, you say that in this way Chaosium did the work on the system and Mongoose gets all the money? Well this is Charlie's problem, not ours :)

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

I am at the embrionic stage for creating a BRP construction framework for mecha and starships.

I am drawing apon experience with Mekton, Robot Warriors (HERO) and a few other systems, however I expect the end result will be its own creature with a BRP feel to it.

The main goal is a consistent framework. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.